Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Getting ready to start meeting with companies to do a kitchen remodel. I would like to see what others like in countertops and flooring. Current counter is Corian and pretty happy with that. Floor is tile and not happy with that. Too slippery. We have vinyl in the dining room and we're blowing out the wall and making it all one area so i'm thinking vinyl all the way. The kitchen gets pretty heavy use. Me and my wife like to cook and the kitchen is also my home brewery. Cost is always a factor but since this is the last kitchen we'll have, I'm not going to get hung up on it. Granite, concrete, other solid surface or whatever, I'd like to hear good and bad from people who have done a kitchen in the past 10 years or so.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
Getting ready to start meeting with companies to do a kitchen remodel. I would like to see what others like in countertops and flooring. Current counter is Corian and pretty happy with that. Floor is tile and not happy with that. Too slippery. We have vinyl in the dining room and we're blowing out the wall and making it all one area so i'm thinking vinyl all the way. The kitchen gets pretty heavy use. Me and my wife like to cook and the kitchen is also my home brewery. Cost is always a factor but since this is the last kitchen we'll have, I'm not going to get hung up on it. Granite, concrete, other solid surface or whatever, I'd like to hear good and bad from people who have done a kitchen in the past 10 years or so.

budget?......how big is the kitchen?...….replacing what.....all of it or?......bob

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We have granite tops,Mrs Rong loves it.Tile floors,she hates the color and grout color she picked as its to hard to clean,kids dog,me.
Alot of the jobs we have worked on lately are using vinyl plank style flooring.Someone who only does flooring "Roger" maybe can chime in on how that holds up over time.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
kitchen is small. 10x11 or so with an island in the plans. budget is open but i would like to see how far 20k takes me.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
kitchen is small. 10x11 or so with an island in the plans. budget is open but i would like to see how far 20k takes me.

rem.....you need to say what you hope to accomplish with the 20k.....you can spend that on cabinets…..and tops really easy....bob

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You probably don't have enough room for an island, you will need at least 3 feet, preferably 4ft on both sides of an island to walk around.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
counters, cabinets, flooring and simple electric and plumbing due to slight relocation of appliances. only new appliance will be microwave and range hood.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go granite and a solid hardwood floor.

As good as it gets.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Squidge

You probably don't have enough room for an island, you will need at least 3 feet, preferably 4ft on both sides of an island to walk around.

its 10x11 now with the wall getting knocked down and an island getting put where a counter is now. this is a typical 70's style split entry house.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d much rather go wood or tile over vinyl. Lots of tile available with different textures that will not be slippery.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A pennisula will work with the wall knocked out.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Oh boy, We have done that a couple of times.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’d much rather go wood or tile over vinyl. Lots of tile available with different textures that will not be slippery.

i have had sheet vinyl in the dining/entry room for 20 years and it has held up really well with 3 kids and a dog beating on it. easy to clean, quiet and no grout lines. thats why i was leaning towards vinyl.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We put red oak on our kitchen, and dinning room floors ten years ago.

A fridge kept dumping water on the floor. That was not good. Otherwise it is just fine. If you like vinyl, however, no reason not to use that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

its 10x11 now with the wall getting knocked down and an island getting put where a counter is now. this is a typical 70's style split entry house.

are you doing the work?...…..depending on your or your wife's taste....double the budget...and if it comes out less you will be happy...20 isn't enough…...bob

Last edited by BobMt; 02/03/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A lumberyard manager told me, the kitchen, and bathroom are the most expensive rooms in the house.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I redone my kitchen myself in 2016. I used mannington Adura luxury vinyl plank (glue down) for the floor. It has a ton of texture to it. The pattern/look was called country rawhide, we both really like it. We also went with kraftmaid top of their line cabinets with the distressed finishes and granite on the counter tops and a stainless sink. The best place for prices I’ve found in flooring was called the flooring center in Illinois, they have a huge selection of flooring. The granite is great, though like any other stone product it can chip if it’s hit just right with something hard, the sink area especially is vulnerable.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner

i have had sheet vinyl in the dining/entry room for 20 years and it has held up really well with 3 kids and a dog beating on it. easy to clean, quiet and no grout lines. thats why i was leaning towards vinyl.

For practicality, vinyl is the way to go. Way less seams to leak when you have spills, easy to clean (unless you pick white like my wife did, against my objection), and if you drop a dish it has a better chance of surviving. Tile can be pretty cold unless you put floor heat under it. And if you drop a dish on tile it shatters.

I just removed our perfectly good vinyl floor and put in red oak, again against my better judgement, but it's a bucket list thing for my wife who has stage 4 cancer so what can I say?

I'm always concerned about dishwasher and icemaker leaks in the kitchen and how much damage and trouble they can cause. And I'm a carpenter so I can fix it myself. There's too much other stuff to do to be thinking about repairing damage to my own house.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobMt

are you doing the work?...…..depending on your or your wife's taste....double the budget...and if it comes out less you will be happy...20 isn't enough…...bob

the only work i want to do would be the demo. i could do the plumbing and electric and drywall as well if that saves much. i have done lots of carpentry but am not a finish man. i would not tackle cabinets or counters myself. i could probably do the floor but would not want to do sheet vinyl myself. i have done lots of ceramic floor and wall before. my main problem is time. if i did much of the work it would take me forever and that ain't going to cut it with a kitchen.

My diploma is a DD214
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Tile in our kitchen, which we like and it stands up to traffic. Went with granite countertops and I am underwhelmed, actually. I would not do it again, if my vote counted on that topic!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.