Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm into it ass hole deep right now. We totally gutted the entire kitchen and bumped out the wall between the kitchen and dining room to give us a little more room. The contractor is good, they did our master bath a couple of months ago. Our house is a total cluster fck. The dog is in a state of total confusion and doesn't know what to think. We've got all of the stuff from the kitchen scattered all over the first floor and basement and I can't find anything. Everything is covered with plastic which makes it tougher to find anything. We have the fridge in the family room and a microwave, toaster, and coffee maker on the bar in the basement. Been doing a lot of cooking on the grill. Luckily I have a side burner out there if I need a stove. Cooked sausage and eggs out there yesterday. I'm not sure who makes the cabinets, but I told her we ain't putting in any junk. We're getting the cabinets though Reico Kitchens. They sell everything from cheap to very expensive. I think she ended up with a mid-range to higher end cabinet. I'm a big granite guy, but she picked out a natural quartzite. Even though quartzite is hard, I'll need to hit it with a sealer.

They started a week and a half ago.

[Linked Image]

They ripped up all of the Hardy Board under the old floor and put down all new schit.

[Linked Image]

They started laying tile on Saturday and should be done with that today. We're using a porcelain tile that looks like wood. I wasn't crazy about using real wood in the kitchen even though I think it looks great. These are 12"x 24" and they're using 1/16" joint. We wanted the smallest joint possible. All of the lighting is LED fixtures, no bulbs. You can see one of the fixtures hanging by a wire. I was expecting recessed fixures that would use bulbs, but he said that's old school and he put in these flush fixtures that are really cool.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/04/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
My advice. Get out of the way and let your wife pick everything. Set the budget at 20k if you like. Plan on spending more and dont say a word at all until the bill hits 25k. Just keep mama happy!

pretty much the plan

This is what I did. When Mama's happy, everybody's happy. Personally, I'm only worried about functionality and durability. I went over the layout and plans with a fine tooth comb. I gave her my input, but it's more important to me that she gets what she wants, or else I'll never hear the end of it.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/04/19.

Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In regards to the slick tile floor, when we built our house, we planned on putting a pool in off of the kitchen and, laundry room. The thought of slick floors were right up front along with the wear and tear of people walking in with wet feet. We went with a class 4 commercial tile that has a light coating of sand on the surface. You will never slip on this tile. It is hell on a mop too. lol

We just upgraded to granite last year. There is a wide selection based on your price range. If you can afford to get into the $65-70 sq/ft then you really open up your color options.
I love the look of granite with stainless sinks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cabinets on top of the floor...oh oh

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by atvalaska

why?

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Yeah, I kind of thought about questioning them about it when they did my bathroom. I'll let the next guy worry about ripping the old floor up if we ever change the floor tile. Or maybe we'll just sell the house before we need a new floor. I figured they know what the hell they're doing. Not worried about it.

Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't let atv's comment worry you. You're doing it right.....

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
i thought thats the right way to do it actually. when i did my bathrooms i put the vanities on top of the tile. i thought it made for a cleaner look. and i ain't worrying about ripping out the floor. besides if i do vinyl planks, they can be cut around the cabinets if my kids ever want a new floor after i'm gone.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Yeah, I kind of thought about questioning them about it when they did my bathroom. I'll let the next guy worry about ripping the old floor up if we ever change the floor tile. Or maybe we'll just sell the house before we need a new floor. I figured they know what the hell they're doing. Not worried about it.
That is the proper way. High end remodelers and builders do it this way.

Buy once, cry once.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks.

The other issue is that the cabinets won't be in for a couple more weeks. They've got a lot more stuff to do in the mean time.

Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Floors change due to the wife , color, age, type,water leaks..and remods ..lol ...more work and and money to do floorup to and under cabinet ..with no shoe mouldings....clean look....and u can fasten the cab to floor easyier........ keep going tho ..there is more than one way to skin a cat .!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing on granite ..u better like the color/ what you buy as it cost so much that u ..have to ...keep it ... another builder buddy of mine designs his kitchens with no corners/ special cuts ,just sink and hole cut outs and finished edges where they need to be ....at the job ste were just slaping slabs down ...easy .....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep on 'slaping' them slabs in.......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Kitchen's are bigger holes than boats to throw money into.

Yup, and that takes some doing!!!!!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
pretty sure at this point we're going with corian or something like it. there is a support beam that will be in the peninsula. it looks like corian can be cut and seamed around it. plus i like corian. we've had it for almost 20 years with no problems. wife doesn't want granite and i tend to agree.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by Calvin
Kitchen's are bigger holes than boats to throw money into.

Yup, and that takes some doing!!!!!

Believe me, I could buy one hell of a boat for what I'm paying for this job. But the thing is, is that this is the first time I've ever done anything to my kitchen since the house was built 20 years ago. I didn't have to change the oil in it one single time in 20 years. smile

Ronald Reagan
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When we moved we were shocked when we put our dishes in the cupboards. Our dinner plates would not fit the above the counter cupboards.

Our old house had custom cabinets. Some cabinets are designed for people who evidently don't do much cooking.

I think roll out drawers are a must. I added them to several cabinets in the kitchen and bath rooms.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The cheap way is to not put them on the floor. Floor should go wall to wall

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
pretty sure at this point we're going with corian or something like it. there is a support beam that will be in the peninsula. it looks like corian can be cut and seamed around it. plus i like corian. we've had it for almost 20 years with no problems. wife doesn't want granite and i tend to agree.

See, that's the way to do it. Figure out what YOU want and run with it.

Personally, I'm a natural stone guy, so I'm going to want some sort of natural stone for my counter tops. But that's just me. There are a ton of options to choose from. I sell all kinds of building stone and concrete products. There's stuff that I sell, that I would never put in my own house. Not because there's anything wrong with it, just because it's not my flavor. Everybody's different and they have different tastes. That's why we carry a wide variety of materials to choose from. People ask me all of the time, "What do you like?", or "What would you do?" Not to be a smart ass, but I tell them that it doesn't matter what I think because I can't see it from my house. It's always smart to get suggestions from others to see what your options are, then go with what you want. I tell my sales people all the time to never steer people towards another product just because you don't like the particular product that they're leaning towards. You're going to be living in your kitchen for a long time, so make it right and do it your way. Right now, you are the only one who's opinion matters.

Ronald Reagan
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 994 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.