Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
But I can't draw a 2nd round doe tag for an area I want to hunt....

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Q
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
I always wondered if the insurance companies had anything to do with Wisconsins insane slaughter. They saved a lot of money from it.

Really wish this fairy tale would die

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dillonbuck--what county? I hunt Bedford County. It does suck, I'm not a fan of sharpshooters!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first thing I thought of when PA decided to reduce it's deer herd was the car insurance companies were behind it.
Seems the PGC wanted the deer herd reduced around the urban areas where no one could hunt but got the herd shot out where everybody could hunt.
I used to hunt the ANF in Elk County across the Clarion River from a little village called Portland Mills. Lots of deer there until Quality Deer Management in the early 2000.s. After the thinning of the herd ( 2005 ), three deer were left in that area. One buck ( at 10 pt ) and two doe. Goes to say, I haven't been back to hunt there for a while.

To me, Quality Deer Management means having one buck and one doe in each county. But they're big healthy ones.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's my understanding the snipers are doing their thing about 10 miles away, on game lands.
With plans to do it all over this area.
Our local numbers have been seriously reduced in the last 20 years.
Now, PGC has decided the way to save the deer from CWD is to kill them.
Paid "sharpshooters" are whacking them over bait piles.

The hypocrisy is enormous. For several years putting any feed out for deer
has been illegal, on the theory that it spreads CWD. Now, they do it.
Hunting over bait, shooting after hours, not tagging, killing too many deer.
They were hunting poachers like dogs a month ago. Now, they are trying to eliminate
the deer. Why not just let hunters do it?

They are asking permission to kill on private property.
Rumor has it a farmer gave permission. Then rescinded,
after his barn was threatened. The whole dam world
is corrupt, and nuts.

For the last 30 years around here they’ve been called deprivation permits. Whack 30-40 no problem. Nothing new and it had nothing to do with CWD.

I believe you are referring to "depredation permits" which are generally issued to landowners and/or farmers to assist in the reduction of deer that are eating/destroying crops.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No the game dept. Is indeed paying sharpshooter to kill family groups of deer...an using hunter $ to pay them. That is how fugged up the Pa.Game Comission is

Last edited by 1bigdude; 02/10/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wonder How many states this has been going on in. We have seen a steady decline in Deer Population since 2011, here in Virginia. I've had several e-mail discussions with the Idiots at the VDGIF, they have cited "cultural carrying capacity" I call BS.

I may wear a tinfoil hat at times, but I do believe "they" want us to be reliant on "them" for food, and reduce the firearm debate to "your hobby".

Has this stuff been happening in your state? where are you from? So far I have seen:

WI
PA
VA

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MarkG
I wonder How many states this has been going on in. We have seen a steady decline in Deer Population since 2011, here in Virginia. I've had several e-mail discussions with the Idiots at the VDGIF, they have cited "cultural carrying capacity" I call BS.

I may wear a tinfoil hat at times, but I do believe "they" want us to be reliant on "them" for food, and reduce the firearm debate to "your hobby".

Has this stuff been happening in your state? where are you from? So far I have seen:

WI
PA
VA

You don't know if Virginia is using others to kill off large quantities of Deer? That is something that is hard to keep under the radar. At least for any long period of time. Like 2011.

You want more Deer then don't play their game, which is to limit Deer numbers with antlerless licenses. That is the way they do it. Either don't buy every Doe tag they are willing to sell you or buy them and don't use them. Do that and quickly the Deer will blossom. It is a simple numbers game. Had 6 Deer in the yard last night before the snow came. At least two full grown Does and lets say probably two more females. What do you have next year if you kill three of the females? What do you have if you don't? And then the next year? Multiple it across the State....Two many hunters today just have to kill something every year and the GC 's have it figured out. Give them the Doe tags and they will pull the trigger.

Last edited by battue; 02/11/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by battue

WI
PA
VA

You don't know if Virginia is using others to kill off large quantities of Deer? That is something that is hard to keep under the radar. At least for any long period of time. Like 2011.

You want more Deer then don't play their game, which is to limit Deer numbers with antlerless licenses. That is the way they do it. Either don't buy every Doe tag they are willing to sell you or buy them and don't use them. Do that and quickly the Deer will blossom. It is a simple numbers game. Had 6 Deer in the yard last night before the snow came. At least two full grown Does and lets say probably two more females. What do you have next year if you kill three of the females? What do you have if you don't? And then the next year? Multiple it across the State....Two many hunters today just have to kill something every year and the GC 's have it figured out. Give them the Doe tags and they will pull the trigger.

I know for a fact VA has used snipers in certain areas of Northern & Central VA. As for not using doe tags. The last time I pulled the trigger on a deer was an 8pt in 2014.
When I stop seeing a thriving population, I hunt Mature bucks only. I know I'm not the average hunter, that's what concerns me.

Last edited by MarkG; 02/11/19.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
No the game dept. Is indeed paying sharpshooter to kill family groups of deer...an using hunter $ to pay them. That is how fugged up the Pa.Game Comission is

If you are replying to me I was just stating that its depredation and not deprivation in regards to the permit system that is used for herd reduction due to crop damage.

I don't doubt that PA game commission is doing it as its a general protocol of lots of states to kill as many cervids (deer/elk) in a certain radius (many miles) once a CWD infected animal has been confirmed. It happened two years ago just a few miles from me in NW Arkansas. If I recall correctly they killed as many deer as possible in a 5 mile radius of where the infected animal was found.

And I'm not advocating for or saying what they are doing is right nor beneficial in addressing the problem either.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If they wholesale kill Deer in the CWD identified area the hunters will complain. If they let it go and it somehow spreads to plague proportions across the State, and into adjoining States, what would be the hunting and non-hunting response? “Those bastaaards knew and did nothing!!!!”

The know it alls always think they have the right answer. We need more know it alls in the various Game Departments.

Here we have hunters complaining we don’t have enough Deer and also beeetching they can’t get two Doe tags. Area I hunt has a poaching issue. One farmer I know says he has called the GC on numerous occasions. He gets a recorded message when he calls: Press 1 for, press 2 for, etc. which takes him to another recorded leave a message. As of last fall he said they haven’t got back with him. Maybe he is BSing, maybe he isn’t.

Hunters told them for years that something bad was going on with Grouse. Their response was we don’t have the right habitat. Know they admit we have large areas of the right habitat, but perhaps it is West Nile that is causing the issue. So they inject Grouse eggs with West Nile and bingo the chicks die of it. Well, you inject embryos with contaminants and you are going to get defective births. Imagine that.

One thing for sure is the Pa GC is no longer all that fond of the sound of rifles. They much prefer the swish of the arrow.

Last edited by battue; 02/11/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
CWD was found in Mississippi last year, over the summer the game and fish commissions studied over 700 deer checking for CWD. Most of them were killed by depredation hunting at night, they shoot every thing they see in a farmers field.
Ronnie

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You want more Deer then don't play their game, which is to limit Deer numbers with antlerless licenses. That is the way they do it. Either don't buy every Doe tag they are willing to sell you or buy them and don't use them. Do that and quickly the Deer will blossom. It is a simple numbers game. Had 6 Deer in the yard last night before the snow came. At least two full grown Does and lets say probably two more females. What do you have next year if you kill three of the females? What do you have if you don't? And then the next year? Multiple it across the State....Two many hunters today just have to kill something every year and the GC 's have it figured out. Give them the Doe tags and they will pull the trigger. [/quote]

You are slipping I finally agree with something you say.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The PGC can not manage a good crap let alone the game. Too many college codes working on the staff whom never set foot know outside the classroom into the woods. They learn from some yuppie prof an take it as gospel

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

WI
PA
VA

NJ, specifically northern NJ. The suburbs in central and east NNJ are loaded with deer. big, healthy, older deer. Some bow hunting but mostly just deer and backyards.

IN the actual woods of NNJ this year was a very low one for sighting deer or sign. Every hunter I spoke to mentioend its way down this year.

I'll just add, NJ blows.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.