Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
I don’t think think I can shoot the 40 as good as some others.

My line of thinking would come from the old days. Like doing traffic stops, it goes bad and you have to take2-3 shots from the hip at nose hair distances. At an individual that’s wearing layers of Carhart artic wear, who weighs 250 pounds and is drunk and pissed. I just feel better having more punch.
I always feel better if the jokers put the whole fifth of Vodka IN the punch.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to 255s for the same reason, takes care of the 124s........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I can put 230 grains on target with one pull of the trigger, making my 'split time' twice as fast as anybody shooting 115 grain 9mm.

[Linked Image]

That's funny right there...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I can put 230 grains on target with one pull of the trigger, making my 'split time' twice as fast as anybody shooting 115 grain 9mm.

[Linked Image]

LOL. Excellent point.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hmmm?

My P226 40 with 200gr XTP's at 1041 fps is very comfortable, I do not feel the snap some talk about with it so loaded, feels like a 45 ACP to me.

Speaking of cartridge comparisons, and I took no pleasure in any of this, had to shoot a stray walker? hound here at the farm for livestock depredation, a 230gr gold dot at 966 fps entered the flank tight against the hip and exited neck vertebrae then rear side of the skull, I'm thankful it was without a twitch of suffering, anyway, I studied the wound channel, and path, with my hand spread as far as it will go, from tip of thumb to little finger is 10 inches, that bullet went near 27 inches and exited.

I don't know chit about 9mm vs 40 cal vs 45 acp vs 10mm vs 38 super etc, etc, I do know a 45 cal 230gr gold dot on hide, bone and muscle will get the chit wrecked out of it, also don't have any barrier experience with gold dots, but it completely wrecked that dog.

Trump Won!
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't imagine that anyone is going to outdo a 9 loaded with the right ammo when we're talking about cc/sd/duty for the whole package of speed, accuracy, stopping ability, etc. It's hard to argue with ALL the numbers. I guess Stick is right about bullets mattering more than headstamps.

I shoot all versions of hot-loaded 9 better than hot-loaded 40. But I'll carry a 40 10/10 times into the sticks, and will feel far more confident with 200gr bullets at 1050 fps than I do with 147's at the same speed.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
i have a 1st gen glock 22 bc i refuse to accept that the 90s are over

That had me rolling. That got me thinking, that’s maybe why my old 21 is my favorite.

my other two centerfire autos are a 92fs 9mm and a lightly pimped 1911 .45. all outclassed at this point, but dangit if they dont work well.

the large frame glocks are a little too big for my short fangers, hence the reason i picked up the 22 back in the day.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I can't imagine that anyone is going to outdo a 9 loaded with the right ammo when we're talking about cc/sd/duty for the whole package of speed, accuracy, stopping ability, etc. It's hard to argue with ALL the numbers. I guess Stick is right about bullets mattering more than headstamps.

I shoot all versions of hot-loaded 9 better than hot-loaded 40. But I'll carry a 40 10/10 times into the sticks, and will feel far more confident with 200gr bullets at 1050 fps than I do with 147's at the same speed.
My opinion of the 9 is that you have to hot load it to get top performance. With the 40, it pretty much comes loaded hot enough, as is. The 45 may be more problematic to hot load. All in all, not much difference in the top loads of all of them. For concealment, make mine 9. For concealment not mattering...40. If you have to use Ball, 45...though I don't think Ball ammo is that great in any caliber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don't understand why anybody would carry 147's in the 9, other than subsonic for supressed guns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hmmm?

My P226 40 with 200gr XTP's at 1041 fps is very comfortable, I do not feel the snap some talk about with it so loaded, feels like a 45 ACP to me.

Speaking of cartridge comparisons, and I took no pleasure in any of this, had to shoot a stray walker? hound here at the farm for livestock depredation, a 230gr gold dot at 966 fps entered the flank tight against the hip and exited neck vertebrae then rear side of the skull, I'm thankful it was without a twitch of suffering, anyway, I studied the wound channel, and path, with my hand spread as far as it will go, from tip of thumb to little finger is 10 inches, that bullet went near 27 inches and exited.

I don't know chit about 9mm vs 40 cal vs 45 acp vs 10mm vs 38 super etc, etc, I do know a 45 cal 230gr gold dot on hide, bone and muscle will get the chit wrecked out of it, also don't have any barrier experience with gold dots, but it completely wrecked that dog.

A Walker is a good dawg. Too bad you couldn't have caught him up for your own before he started running cows. When they start running cows they got to go to the Happy Hunting Grounds. RIP, but good shooting.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I don't understand why anybody would carry 147's in the 9, other than subsonic for supressed guns.

EE, I picked up a box of Federal 147 fmjs to try in my Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel. They seemed to shoot to the sights and grouped very well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Penetration and performance on barriers.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave

147 grain +P+ Gold Dot hits hard and make a big expanded bullet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And excellent results on shutting bad guys down. The new age 147's aren't your daddy's 147.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

This, Ethan.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MOGC

And excellent results on shutting bad guys down. The new age 147's aren't your daddy's 147.

LOL

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This has turned into a 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm-08 thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might get interested in the 9mm yet.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Interesting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I love that the .40 is in the process of lost favor.....makes for cheaper 40's in the used case. I have many .40 handguns and love them all and recently picked up a used Sig P229 for $375 that was German made with the short extractor with 3 mags, two grips, night sights and the plastic box and struggled to find any wear on the pistol. The LGS guy told me many of the pistols in their used case have seen less than 300-500 rounds.

If you handload you can warm up some rounds to mid 10mm levels or load down to bunny loads. Great caliber for woods carry and love the accuracy.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.