Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
On game performance is what I'm asking about. On paper there is hardly any difference, recoil is about the same. I am talking of partitions and barnes x, factory loads. Use will be alaskan caribou and western elk and someday moose. Should I just see what shoots the best and go with that. Whats been your experience?

Last edited by handwerk; 03/31/07.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some won't agree, but heavier is always better in my opinion

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
See what your gun likes best and use that bullet. However for something really big like a moose, I'd personally want the heaviest bullet your rifle shot well.

I tend to agree with Saddlesore. Plus over the years and biggame I've killed (and cut up, myself), I like bigger, heavier boolits that cause less bloodshot than speedy explosive slugs and their hydrostatic effects. 2700fps from a .30/06 shooting 180's is plenty. 2600fps from an '06 propelling 200grainers might not be bad either.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Use 180 Nosler Partitions behind a max book load of H4350 and don't look back. This will work on everything from deer to moose and because it is a Partition, it will "open up and terminate". My Remington 700 SPS SS 30-06 groups them at .72 MOA off the bench and the crony says 2810 fps. Never had anything walk away from a 180.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have plenty of time to work up a load from each weight then use the weight that will match the live weight of your quarry.I like to use 200 grain TSX from my 300WSM (2800 fps)

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Handwerk, I load a 180 NP for most stuff. A 165 TSX will do the same and kicks less (IME there's a small but noticeable difference recoil-wise between the two). Still, I mostly prefer 180's in the 30-06.

With dots and a LRF a 180 NP at 2,750 - 2,800 will do anything that needs doing way out...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In the good old days of the last century when I got my first '06 about all we had for factory .30-'06 ammo were 180 grain and 220 grain loads ( ah, pass those Peters Belted shells, please). Then we got the 150 grain factory loads. The 165 grain was not available as a hunting bullet for some years, and only really got going after people started shooting animals with target bullets. I started reloading to get 165 grain loads for my '06.

Of course there have been serious developments in hunting rifle bullets in the last two decades, and you can do things with a .308/165 gr bullet that people would only try with the 180 gr load. Of course you can do it with 150 grain super premiums now too.

In the old days of cup and core bullets you needed weight in the bullet to ensure penetration, now we seemingly have the best of both.

I would shoot both bullets in the rifle and see what works best for you. I have a NULA .30-'06 being built though, and I already have some Nosler Custom Ammo in 165 gr Partition waiting to go hunting. wink Although the Nosler Partition is the oldest premium bulet, every time I shoot an animal with one I appreciate the subtlety of the design more.

If you really want to split hairs and have a magic load for other to envy, try the 200 gr NP in your '06.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot 168 gr TSX bullets in all my 30 calibre rifles. They include as of today, a Sako Av 300 win mag, a Kimber 308 and a Sako 75 30-06, I haven't found any reason to go to a heavier bullet.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
HJ - interested to see you mention the old Peters Belted. It seemed to me like it was a good design that sort of was before its time. Would like to hear what people have to say about it. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 30-06 and I'm working on the question of the 165/180g right now. A few years ago, there'd have been no question that the answer would have been the traditional, the 180. After reading a bit of JJHACK's extensive experience with the 165, though, I no longer am so sure... The 130g 270 is clearly effective - the 165 in the .30 should have similar effects in a larger diameter.

Jaywalker

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My observation is, as a general rule, bullets with a higher Sd tend to perform more consistently at the terminal end. Of course there can be other considerations. An 06 has to work really hard to acheive 2800fps with a 180gr--and will often be closer to 2700fps. A 165 gr can often get a tad over 2900fps. Take your pick--usually the best choice is the one that shoots best.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm generally a "heavy for" guy and the 180 in the '06 is no exception.

I know people use lighter weight bullets up the 200gr. offerings as well and are quite successful year after year, but I've had very good luck with both accuracy and terminal performance with 180gr. pills....specifically..NP's.

I expect that the 165/168 TSX would be a fine combination with the '06, but many elk and deer that I personally have known, will attest to the effectiveness of the 180gr. NP's sent there way out of the 'ole '06.

YMMV....but I'd bet it won't.

Last edited by magnumb; 03/31/07.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife and I have shot a lot of game with various "premium" 165-180 grain bullets in the .30-06. I have yet to see a signficant difference. The list of game includes a pile of deer, black bear, elk, caribou, and various plains game species in Africa from 350 pounds up to 700 or so.

I have used 200-grain Nosler Partition a lot in the .30-06 and .300 Magnums, mostly for elk, and except for end-on shots they have always completely penetrated--not always the case with lighter bullets.

But the longer I hunt the less I am beginning to think an exit hole is necessary. Have killed too many animals very quickly with bullets that "only" penetrated to under the hide on the far side, including moose taken with the .270 and 7x57. In fact I have not seen much difference in how the 130 and 150 .270 bullets, and 165 and 180 .30-06 if of the same basic construction.

One of the great mysteries of life: In the past 60 years we have seen the introduction of a great many "premium" bullets that penetrate deeply and reliably. But somehow many of us still insist on heavier bullets and, yes, the same heavyweight cartridges that were found advisable back in the days of mostly mediocre bullets.

John Barsness

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I wish I could say I have tons of first hand kill experience, but I do not based on I am an archer mostly and kill more paper with rifles than game, but on paper and in the field I doubt you would see a whole lot of differance out to the normal 300-yards and with NP, AB, IB, X, etc. Most are running 180's around 2750 and 165's around 2850. There is veru little differance in the numbers. I say shoot the one that groups best unless 600+ lb game is your primary target. My uneducated look on it. It is funny how much we all spend so many calories splitting hairs. It sure is fun though!

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Funny how a 225 gr bullet in a 35 Whelen is the cat's meow, but a 220 gr in an.06 is not, and they are about both ballistically equivalent. I still insist, if you will, on heavier bullets becasue they still work for me after many years. Sorta of a "If it's not broke, it doesn't need fixed kind of thing"
Why should one buy into the premium bullet hype, if every time they bust a cap, an elk still falls over and doesn't run off any distances when shot at 20 yds to 400.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alpine-

The S.D. "rule" applies more aptly when you are shooting bullets of similar construction. Here, a 180-gr Nos Part which loses 40% of its mass probably won't out penetrate a 168-gr TSX because it loses little if any significant weight. This is assuming of course similar speeds and hits.

Back when I did my wet, packed newspaper penetration tests with my .340, the 225-gr Nos Part was out-penetrated by the first generation Barnes X of 210 grains and significantly more by the 225-gr Barnes X.

This is not an indictment of the Nos Part but just points out their different construction and how S.D. does not automatically corrolate with greater penetration.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A 165 X-type would do plenty. My opinion, is that with the X-type, it is better to use a shorter bullet (hence lighter) at a higher velocity, as I think they might have less tendency to tumble in the animal and come out shank first. The shorter expanded bullet leaves less shank with a bigger head, kind of like a typically mushroomed bullet. On a 180 X-type, the shank is so long that I think the expanded bullet is somewhat unbalanced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt any animal you shoot could tell whether it was a 180 or a 165 that got it. Back in the days when the 06 was king and Speers #7 manual was fresh off the printers, they stated flatly that the 165 gr bullet was probably the most useful allaround bullet in the 06.
I had been told the same thing by elders that knew, so that's what I shot in the 06. Never had an elk ,deer or antelope complain it wasn't enough bullet. On broadside elk 200 yds or so a hit just behind the shoulders generally means a complete pass thru, a hit in the shoulder will usually be a lump under the hide on the far shoulder, and a purtnear dead on the spot elk.
Never did manage to keep a 165 in a deer, course I never shot one in the hindquarter either.
You have it figured right when you ask about using the bullet that shoots best in your rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by goodnews
Alpine-

The S.D. "rule" applies more aptly when you are shooting bullets of similar construction. Here, a 180-gr Nos Part which loses 40% of its mass probably won't out penetrate a 168-gr TSX because it loses little if any significant weight. This is assuming of course similar speeds and hits.

Back when I did my wet, packed newspaper penetration tests with my .340, the 225-gr Nos Part was out-penetrated by the first generation Barnes X of 210 grains and significantly more by the 225-gr Barnes X.

This is not an indictment of the Nos Part but just points out their different construction and how S.D. does not automatically corrolate with greater penetration.

Mindful there are no "hard and fast rules", I understand the differences between how a TSX is designed vs a Partition. My experience is that bullets with higher Sd tend to be more consistent in regards to terminal performance on game. There seems to be many factors that occur between ballistic gel and wet or dry newspapers/phonebooks, logs, etc, and when a bullet hits a critter.

Between my own elk, family, friends and guiding, I guesstimate I've witnessed a 100 or so elk killed in the past 40+ years.

Velocity may have a lot to do with it, but higher Sd, driven at reasonable velocities seem to perform more often in a manner I expect. I have seen lower weight/Sd bullets (often being driven at higher velocities) perform in a unexpected manner on the critter.

Most of my personal experience has been with 150, 160, 180gr bullets in 270W, 280Rem/7mmRM, and 30-06/30-06AI. These bullets are ballistic triplets of one another and are normally driven in a fairly narrow velocity range. When I see lighter bullets driven at velocities approaching hyper-velocities, sometimes they produce spectacular kills, sometimes they don't do what one expects.

As has been pointed out by others before, the true test of a bullet is when we're shooting at something up close and personal and as I have expounded on before--that's where one will most likely find his elk.

Sd isn't just about penetration, it appears to me to be also how "straight" the bullet tracks through critter, does it consistently penetrate roughly the same distance each time?--given similar impact velocities; Does it retain weight consistently? (I don't care whether it retains a lot of weight or not--it's the consistency I'm looking at); If does hit bone--was its penetration and weight retention consistent with other similar kills? ;Or if it doesn't hit bone--was it consistent with other shots that didn't hit bone?

Mule Deer has pointed out that penetration has a lot to do with frontal area--the frontal area of a 165gr TSX isn't much different from the frontal area of 180gr Partiton once they are recovered. They differ in how they "mushroom".

I have a container full of bullets I've taken out of my own elk over the years, out of all my Partitions--from 100gr 243's to a bunch of 150gr 270's, to a number of 180gr and 200gr from my 06's and 06AI, they look almost identical. The differences between those recovered bullets are usually the whether the bullet hit bone or not. When I look at my lower wieght bullets--of similar construction--they are not nearly as consistent in appearance or weight retention. That has been my observation when dissecting other hunters elk kills too.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by goodnews
Alpine-

Mindful there are no "hard and fast rules", I understand the differences between how a TSX is designed vs a Partition. My experience is that bullets with higher Sd tend to be more consistent in regards to terminal performance on game. There seems to be many factors that occur between ballistic gel and wet or dry newspapers/phonebooks, logs, etc, and when a bullet hits a critter.

Between my own elk, family, friends and guiding, I guesstimate I've witnessed a 100 or so elk killed in the past 40+ years.

Velocity may have a lot to do with it, but higher Sd, driven at reasonable velocities seem to perform more often in a manner I expect. I have seen lower weight/Sd bullets (often being driven at higher velocities) perform in a unexpected manner on the critter.

Most of my personal experience has been with 150, 160, 180gr bullets in 270W, 280Rem/7mmRM, and 30-06/30-06AI. These bullets are ballistic triplets of one another and are normally driven in a fairly narrow velocity range. When I see lighter bullets driven at velocities approaching hyper-velocities, sometimes they produce spectacular kills, sometimes they don't do what one expects.

As has been pointed out by others before, the true test of a bullet is when we're shooting at something up close and personal and as I have expounded on before--that's where one will most likely find his elk.

Sd isn't just about penetration, it appears to me to be also how "straight" the bullet tracks through critter, does it consistently penetrate roughly the same distance each time?--given similar impact velocities; Does it retain weight consistently? (I don't care whether it retains a lot of weight or not--it's the consistency I'm looking at); If does hit bone--was its penetration and weight retention consistent with other similar kills? ;Or if it doesn't hit bone--was it consistent with other shots that didn't hit bone?

Mule Deer has pointed out that penetration has a lot to do with frontal area--the frontal area of a 165gr TSX isn't much different from the frontal area of 180gr Partiton once they are recovered. They differ in how they "mushroom".

I have a container full of bullets I've taken out of my own elk over the years, out of all my Partitions--from 100gr 243's to a bunch of 150gr 270's, to a number of 180gr and 200gr from my 06's and 06AI, they look almost identical. The differences between those recovered bullets are usually the whether the bullet hit bone or not. When I look at my lower wieght bullets--of similar construction--they are not nearly as consistent in appearance or weight retention. That has been my observation when dissecting other hunters elk kills too.

Casey

Amen. Preach it, brother.
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.