Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yukoner
I had one barrelled up on a No4 Mk1 by Bevan King. It was very accurate, but a demon to get to feed Never did get it to handle more than two in the magazine.

That was enough though.... grin

Ted

I wonder what EE would do to solve that. Those mags have the taper built in.

I’ve often thought about converting an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, to .303 B ,
or some semi-improved variant

303 British - another great , no venerable cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Last edited by 338Rules; 02/06/19. Reason: 3 Cheers for the 303

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah. I have two, the sporterized No. 4 Mark 1 Lee-Enfield inherited from y father's brother Larry, who purchased it at a Coast to Coast hardware store in the 1950's, and an also sporterized Ross 1910.

Had a Ruger 1A for a while, which shot very well, but didn't find it as cool as the old rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules

I’ve often thought about converting an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, to .303 B ,

303 British - another cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Ellwood would have changed the magazine follower. Because there is less taper with the Epps cartridge, the issue follower pushes the cartridge up too high and the bullet tip catches on the upper part of the chamber. It cannot be pushed forward into the chamber. At one time, he did have target (flat) followers that sat in the top of the mag over the existing follower. That made them single shots.

The simplest way to lessen the problem was to load a 303 British cartridge in first, and no more than two Epps cartridges in on top.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
to me, the biggest reason is twofold...

1. the nostalgia
2. the cool factor which is off the charts.

As SteveR says, it’s not the shoulder angle, which necessitated the H&H belt for headspacing.
But the long neck & shoulder from cordite days, which makes it so cool,
un-WSM or perhaps un-Rum even.

Usually it’s the long magnum action , with a classic stock, and stunning performance that is the art.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, which all work in concert.

I could be very happy with a cf arsenal that consisted of 6mm/244Rem, 280 Rem,
And a pair of 300 + 375 H&H CRF .All matched, of course.

No need for high pressure throat burners.

Just steady pointing , with clean slick feeding for follow ups.

Cheers

the coolest round I think I've ever seen, was a nickle plated 300 H & H with a 220 grain Round Nose.

I'm partial to the old 30/40 Krag with a 220 grain RN and the 303 Brit, with a 215 grain RN.

The 220 grain RN on the 06 case is always my favorite in the 30/06.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Practical?

I think the poster who surmised it might help you more quickly spot interesting vs. less interesting people to talk guns with had a point.

If a single man, I think you might attract a more worthwhile class of woman, one who understands and appreciates old school cool as opposed to the latest wundercartridge.

Yah, I'm not being completely serious. But neither are bad reasons!

Just think Steve McQueen's Jaguar XKSS and roll with the concept.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Practical, no, cool yes!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practical cats are usually a simple neck down of highly available brass.
.20-223, 7mm-300Win, Bushing dies complete the picture

Conversions of the H&H case were numerous, 308 Norma, .30-338 come to mind
Usually shortening it to fit into the more commonly available .30’06 length magazine.

Much more Practical . Loaded to higher pressures, they met velocity goals.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ted[/quote]

303 British - another great , no venerable cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .[/quote]

One of these days I'll get around to posting photos-There's one in each chambering living here. The 303 gets used rarely, as it's an original Winchester, it does go hunting in nice weather, though. The 30 US is a Miroku built piece, gets used a fair amount, and qualifies as one of my better gun show finds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, yeah. I have two, the sporterized No. 4 Mark 1 Lee-Enfield inherited from y father's brother Larry, who purchased it at a Coast to Coast hardware store in the 1950's, and an also sporterized Ross 1910.

Had a Ruger 1A for a while, which shot very well, but didn't find it as cool as the old rifles.

That 1A should’ve either been boxed as an “ investment “, or “ improved “.
Not cool enough ? Too heavy I think would be one issue.

I’ve heard rumours of SxSs that have been converted to the Brit, but never seen such a gem.
Again I think barrel weight with inserts would be an issue. Love to carry it for Moose in bear country though.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

303 British - another cartridge with a cachet of nostalgic cool .

Ellwood would have changed the magazine follower. Because there is less taper with the Epps cartridge, the issue follower pushes the cartridge up too high and the bullet tip catches on the upper part of the chamber. It cannot be pushed forward into the chamber. At one time, he did have target (flat) followers that sat in the top of the mag over the existing follower. That made them single shots.

The simplest way to lessen the problem was to load a 303 British cartridge in first, and no more than two Epps cartridges in on top.

Op - sorry for the 303B hijacque

SteveR - Thanks for filling in some details for me. I’ve seen/heard of some smle’s converted to 308Win, but they always had a different box magazine. Not sure if barrels were changed too. ;-)

Still for nostalgia, my Jungle Carbine tops the list. Vicious kicker that one.
Folding buttstock with an appropriate height cheekpiece couldn’t hurt.
Not worth the heartache of improving the chambering, or playing with taper.
Tough to improve on practical perfection of a packaged design.

Any improvement in that regard would have to be verified by maintaining the legendary rate of aimed fire against case stretch and extraction issues.

Win ‘94 and .30-30 , another classic 30

Super 30 Practical ? Maybe in the right package. 26” Ruger #1, Yes definitely. Pre ‘64 Sure
H&H or Rigby ? Out of my league, but not out of place.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

A local friend (who has more money to "invest" in rifles) has a .303 British double. Can't remember the make, but no surprise, it is a British gun.

Some of the rifles I've invested in that I'd kind of like to keep get sold because somebody reads about them in a magazine article, and makes an offer I can't refuse.

Ruger 1A's are pretty light rifles. With the scopes I typically put on 'em, they almost always weigh under 8 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
...Op - sorry for the 303B hijacque

SteveR - Thanks for filling in some details for me. I’ve seen/heard of some smle’s converted to 308Win, but they always had a different box magazine. Not sure if barrels were changed too. ;-)

Still for nostalgia, my Jungle Carbine tops the list. Vicious kicker that one.
Folding buttstock with an appropriate height cheekpiece couldn’t hurt.
Not worth the heartache of improving the chambering, or playing with taper.
Tough to improve on practical perfection of a packaged design.

Any improvement in that regard would have to be verified by maintaining the legendary rate of aimed fire against case stretch and extraction issues.

Win ‘94 and .30-30 , another classic 30

Super 30 Practical ? Maybe in the right package. 26” Ruger #1, Yes definitely. Pre ‘64 Sure
H&H or Rigby ? Out of my league, but not out of place.

It was my pleasure. The magazine had to be changed because the 7.62x51mm cartridge had different dimensions than the 303 British. The barrels were also changed to .308 diameter.

The reason why the No 5, commonly referred to as the Jungle Carbine, was uncomfortable for some people to fire was because of the stock pad. The cartridge is a pussy cat unless the buttplate is removed and a shorter, narrower, hard rubber pad was substituted. It's like the designers didn't test it before giving the go ahead for production.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
John, Is practical ever mentioned in the definition of "Rifle Loony"? Just curious.

And this probably should have ended this thread right there.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No. In fact, I would say by definition a rifle loony isn't primarily concerned with practicality, except in the very basic sense that a chosen rifle, cartridge and bullet should kill game.

But that's pretty much a given with the vast majority of rifles, cartridges and bullets these days. You have to try pretty hard to find something unsuitable for taking deer, or even elk.

Instead rifle loonies look more for other stuff, such as the right color stock (whether wood or synthetic), a feeling of self-worth for being such a fine judge of appropriate rifles, and however they define panache.

Interestingly, most dictionaries define panache as flamboyant confidence, or verve or dash in action. This is because the historical meaning was a plume of feathers worn on a headress, hat or helmet. But quite a few loonies seem to think it means conservative style.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Damn, I have to stick a feather in my M70 300.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or your hat--or headdress....

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogger
Or is it all just nostalgia?

thanks in advance for your replies...

There's really no reason to own one, unless you just got to have it. The reason i say no is because brass is harder to find than most other comparable 300 magnums, it's harder on brass because of the steep taper, just about any other 300 magnum beats it in performance. With this being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with owning one, if you already have one. There's a lot of nostalgia and cool factor in the H&H. I'm actually doing something I've been wanting to do for a damn long time and re-chambering one of my rifles to 308 Norma magnum, but it falls in the same category as the H&H. Great old cartridges with history, but probably not the best choice in 300 magnum that's available these days...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dogger
Or is it all just nostalgia?

thanks in advance for your replies...

The only really practical reason to own a .300 H&H is because there just plain isn't much in this world with that kind of cool factor...

And it IS efficient. It was my favorite cartridge for elk..

When I was doing a LOT of hunting the main battery was a 7x57, a .300H&H, and a .375 H&H...can you tell I like the classics?

I just thought it was because you are really old....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by hanco
If I really wanted one, it would be practical to me.

From a pure practical standpoint, the 300WM is a far better choice ....

1. Far more rifles to choose from.
2. Far more factory ammo.
3. Brass is a lot less expensive than the cost for 300H&H.
4. Better selection of dies.
5. More gunsmiths can be found with a 300WM reamer.
6. The more modern case shape would be less prone to stretching than the H&H.
7. More velocity.

BUT .... The 300WM offers way less cool.

I'd take a 300 WSM over a 300 WM.

BSA MAGA
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.