Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Ok, this might be kind of lengthy, but please bare with me. Let be preface this by saying I’m pretty fluent with 1100’s and 11-87’s. Now, this gun was brought to me because the owner took it apart while duck hunting in Arkansas and had lost the gas piston. I ordered a new gas piston and replaced the o-ring on it to start. Now when the gun is back together, it is a single shot. The o-ring, barrel seal actuator, o-ring, etc is in place in the correct order. I’ve tore it down completely and cleaned everything thouroughly. When the gun fires it pushes the bolt back far enough to eject the shell but when the bolt goes forward it doesn’t go all the way into battery. Some times when cycling by hand the bolt will not close and you have to push into battery. Most of the time after you fire the first round you just get the trigger click on the second round. I have noticed that when I take it apart after being fired all parts of the gas system is pushed up into the barrel band itself. Can anyone offer any insight as to what may be the problem?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Know it sounds dumb

But
Ya got the gas piston in backwards???
Or is it even possible to do that???

Last edited by renegade50; 02/07/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really, but the last one I "fixed" doing that by taking the forearm off, holding the piston and banging the butt on the floor repeatedly. My guess is some dirt somewhere that didn't make the cleaning. Of course, this was a duck hunters gun that had been habitually abused.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Slightly ovaled gas system tube????

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is it an 11-87 barrel?? Did he try to put an 1100 barrel on it?

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Know it sounds dumb

But
Ya got the gas piston in backwards???
Or is it even possible to do that???

My first thought

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pull trigger assembly out(drive pins towards ejection port) and see if the shell latch falls out. It is a long, skinny stamped piece that fits in a groove inside the receiver. It releases the next shell from the mag. It may have become unstaked. If it does not come out, it is good. Always drive the pins towards the ejection port on those Remingtons is a good way to avoid this.

An unstaked shell latch will cause the bolt to lock to the rear with a shell out of the mag, but the bolt will have to be pushed forward to feed.

Hope that is NOT your problem.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 02/07/19.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you remove and clean the return spring in the stock?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you clean the gas ports in the barrel? I had a 1100 giving me the same type of problems and that fixed it.

Lee

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Link rod between bolt carrier and spring plunger tube in stock not installed correct into dimple on plunger?
Or link rod installed where the curve of it is binding up in stock plunger tube, installed w curve wrong direction up or down?

Gas/inertia gun stuff.

I like pure gas guns myself.
Have owned both types of systems.

Watch a you tube vid on complete disassembly and assembly.
It could be something really simple.

Ain't no shame in watching a vid and getting it right.

Last edited by renegade50; 02/07/19.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Punisher0822
Ok, this might be kind of lengthy, but please bare with me. Let be preface this by saying I’m pretty fluent with 1100’s and 11-87’s. Now, this gun was brought to me because the owner took it apart while duck hunting in Arkansas and had lost the gas piston. I ordered a new gas piston and replaced the o-ring on it to start. Now when the gun is back together, it is a single shot. The o-ring, barrel seal actuator, o-ring, etc is in place in the correct order. I’ve tore it down completely and cleaned everything thouroughly. When the gun fires it pushes the bolt back far enough to eject the shell but when the bolt goes forward it doesn’t go all the way into battery. Some times when cycling by hand the bolt will not close and you have to push into battery. Most of the time after you fire the first round you just get the trigger click on the second round. I have noticed that when I take it apart after being fired all parts of the gas system is pushed up into the barrel band itself. Can anyone offer any insight as to what may be the problem?

One thing to check that comes to mind - since it happened to another customer of mine..... Check the notch on the barrel extension where the extractor rides up into.. Is it damaged to the point of the extractor's nose comes into contact below the edge of the notch? If that edge is sufficiently damaged, your barrel may be toast. If it's only 'burred' up a bit, it can be salvaged with gentle filing, along with modifying slightly the nose of the extractor.. I cured one like that a few months ago...

Last edited by Redneck; 02/07/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All 1100's and 11-87's become single shots eventually. All of mine gave up the ghost after 10 years or so. Gunsmiths' tried life support but they are DOA.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When you shoot this Rem 11/87 is the bolt traveling back far enough to cock the hammer into the trigger group? I had that issue of not cocking the hammer with my lefty 1100 trap gun shooting light (7/8) reloads. adding an extra "O" ring solved the problem.

F
F
Try taking off the o-ring and putting a good coat of oil on the o-ring. Usually though if that is the problem, it will not close enough to lock up to begin with. Also pull the stock and clean the spring and tube. I have had this happen on my 1187-20 guage when replacing o- rings, oil on the ring fixes it. I believe the barrel does not slide back into the receiver all the way because the o- ring does not slide into the proper place, allowing lock up. The o-ring probably catches and hangs up, the oil lets it slip into place.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Ok guys, I’ve tore it completely down again. I’ve cleaned the tube and spring in the stock. I’ve checked the interceptor latch. I’ve filed on the barrel extension where the extractor rides. I’ve filed on the back of the extractor that rides up into the barrel extension. The link rod is placed correctly and in the right position on the plunger that goes into the stock. When I put everything back together and hit the bolt release the bolt didn’t go all the way into battery. I had to push it up into battery. It’s like the extractor was caught on the part of the barrel extension and didn’t move back to go up into the grove.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Smoke the suspected parts/ areas real heavy and work the action again.
Smoke should smudge away pretty good on places it is hanging up on .
Might be something light file work can take care of
Or show something really outta alignment that could be easily fixed.

F
F
Heavy oil on the o-ring, you can put some on the part of the barrel where the o- ring seats. If that does not work, then your o-ring is too large in thickness. Push down hard on the barrel while tightening the nut.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Punisher0822
Ok guys, I’ve tore it completely down again. I’ve cleaned the tube and spring in the stock. I’ve checked the interceptor latch. I’ve filed on the barrel extension where the extractor rides. I’ve filed on the back of the extractor that rides up into the barrel extension. The link rod is placed correctly and in the right position on the plunger that goes into the stock. When I put everything back together and hit the bolt release the bolt didn’t go all the way into battery. I had to push it up into battery. It’s like the extractor was caught on the part of the barrel extension and didn’t move back to go up into the grove.

Remove the extractor, plunger and spring.. Check all three for integrity. Clean out/ream that recess where the plunger rides in. Ensure there's no crap left over on anything. Then after all is re-installed, (and making sure the extractor and plunger moves easily) close the bolt SLOWLY by hand while paying special attention to how the extractor nose contacts that groove. It should be centered, and contacting that groove easily where the nose slides up and into position.. If the tip is still hitting the edge of that notch, then you're going to have to recontour the nose of that extractor; altering the angle of the contact surface so it does not hit that edge..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
How much play have you got on the guide pin in the receiver that the groove in the barrel extension fits over? will the barrel rotate much? Also check all the cross pins in the trigger group to see if they are in the correct position and not drifted one way or another too far. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Trade it in for a bennelli......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.