Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walkingman,

I didn't say everyone in those two states was ignorant...after all, I lived there too. smile

Seriously, holding on to a position simply because it's the dominant position where you live is stupid. What I call the "you ain't from around here" syndrome. Fact is, it's everywhere. So every place people think the people from other places are all f__ked up. If it were true, then by definition, everyone is all f__ked up, which is closer to my beliefs, so maybe it ain't so far off.

Last edited by Muleskinner; 04/05/07.

Mule
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mule, now there is some straight talk. 'Bout says it all I think.
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I wager 95-99% of those who want the wolf back aren't natives of ID, MT, or WY.

Originally Posted by muleskinner
Well I've lived in two of those three states, and I don't recall that folks from those states wearing halos, walking on water, or even seeming all that smart as a group.

Bad attempt to prove something --- whatever it was you were attempting to prove. Sure, they got there first, and killed everything until somebody stopped them. But I'll take my chances with those who keep the outdoors alive in America, and it ain't them. The test of time usually proves provincial wisedom to be misguided, and those who cling to it like a hungry pup on its momma's tit end up looking like horse's asses.

Seriously, holding on to a position simply because it's the dominant position where you live is stupid. What I call the "you ain't from around here" syndrome. Fact is, it's everywhere. So every place people think the people from other places are all f__ked up. If it were true, then by definition, everyone is all f__ked up, which is closer to my beliefs, so maybe it ain't so far off.

Statements like this, coming from an obviously uneducated blowhard, are funny to say the least.
BTW you run your old mulesuckin' mouth like that around the wrong "ignorant" Montanans and you'll wind up wolf bait.
Go back to Kentucky or wherever you're from.
I'm sure they miss your endless wisdom and lack of simple grammar.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
waha:

if you are still hanging with this post....do have a link or any more info to the Vancouver wolves???

Of particular interest is their adaptation in size and coloring and anything regarding "lone wolf" behavior would be appreciated.

Have watched loners in Idaho and in Michigan and was fascinated by their willingness to show themselves in a non-aggressive way.

While I have seen plenty of wolves in Minnesota (and one in a bar in Wisconsin), have never witnessed that behavior there.

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here in the Okanagan valley, Monashee Mt. area we are seeing wolves coming in, in numbers not seen in recent memory. The same is happening with Grizzly bears. I know that these occurrences will have some effect on big game populations and on the ecosystem as a whole. I may end up seeing lower ungulate populations, but for me, it's worth it. I can hunt without seeing wolves and grizzlies, but it makes me feel better knowing they are out there. It's part of the reason why I hunt. Until you've placed your boot inside a Grizzly track, or listened to wolves howling at night, you don't know what you are missing. I'll gladly share some of the deer I hunt with other predators in order to have a more well rounded ecosystem.

The valley I live in, has long had coyote/dog crosses around. Evidently, dog/coyote crosses rarely happen, but once they do, subsequent generations have less inhibitions to mating with dogs.A while back a local taxidermist and fur buyer told me he thought that "most" of the valley bottom coyotes around here had dog in them. Not only did this show up in the substandard furs, it showed in the much bigger than "normal" sized coyotes around, and in the fact that they started to adopt a more pack oriented behaviour that was targetting bigger game than is usual for "pure" coyotes.

I don't want the Grizzlies or the wolves to become too common, and pests, but I don't want them to be rare either. It's all a question of balance.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by tomk
waha:

if you are still hanging with this post....do have a link or any more info to the Vancouver wolves???

Of particular interest is their adaptation in size and coloring and anything regarding "lone wolf" behavior would be appreciated.

Have watched loners in Idaho and in Michigan and was fascinated by their willingness to show themselves in a non-aggressive way.

While I have seen plenty of wolves in Minnesota (and one in a bar in Wisconsin), have never witnessed that behavior there.

TomK, Hope this helps you out.

Steve

Dear Steve,

Our wolves have, temporarily, gone elsewhere. They are small-bodied, starvation specimen that had far too little to eat when growing up. Three wolves I have weighed here went 60 lbs, 70 lbs and the last one 71 lbs. However, I have had two larger ones in hand from the same pack, but no scale available. Both would have gone 80-90 lbs.

The first sign of real trouble is the lone wolf watching. This will be followed by wolves following persons, at a distance, or approaching persons very closely - still watching them. These are the behaviors indicating that he wolves in question are targeting people as alternative prey. From there it escalates into hesitant clumsy attacks, and then - presumably - to effective attacks. Wolves or coyotes examining adults or children as alternative prey are in no way aggressive!

Please keep digging on that 1930's case!

Cheers, Val Geist

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't ya just love the internet?Here we have an Elk hunting forum and the topic of the decade,is the wolf in three western states.We have people that don't even live close to what is happening and there opinions,then we have those that live right in the middle of the action..

OK..As an Elk hunting forum goes like this usually..Someone ask for advice and people with experience give there experiences.Then there are those like the Toby Keith's video(I love This Bar),comparing there battle wounds visually to make there point, since battle hardened vets don't seem to agree on all things.

So that leaves us with,whatever you read in a gun rag is the gospel,as far as Elk hunting goes.There opinion and experiences trumps all others regardless of experience.

Some might ask: how does this apply to this thread about Idaho wolves.Well,some read about it and others experience it.The old anteige of a picture is worth a thousand words,does not apply here..Cuzz ya read it on the net..Now that is brain power in the first degree.

Idaho has more wolves than Montana and Wyoming put together yet I see no one else but myself speaking out..Well,the nearest pack of Canadian abused wolves is 4.2 miles from my house..Source..Alltel wireless and the Fish and Games own map of "Known" packs!!!

What a joke but I always love a good joke.

Jayco grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well damn, I just thought they wanted to be my friends....

Thanks Steve, interesting, appreciate the response.

The wolf in Idaho was a very big dude and being "out" West I just figured he had never seen a hunter outside of a pickup truck before.

He would have looked made a beautiful rug smile

The ones in Michigan were considerably smaller animals.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[quote=alpinecrick]

a supporter of the Environmental Liberation Front a few years ago called me a "beer-drinking retarded redneck" for being a blood and guts elk hunter
Casey

I would have held my head high and been proud of the compliment.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.