Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking and can't find one.

I'd like to find an excel spreadsheet where I type in my w-2 from 2018, a pay stub from 2019 and it tells me my estimated tax

and it allows me to play what -if scenario about increasing my 401K

I've downloaded one and it was asking for way too much information and then I used the 2019 tax estimator in my tax program and it ended up being frustrating

There has to be a simple spreadsheet that some company or person has made that is easy to use.

If someone knows of it, I'd appreciate a link

My goal here is to increase my 401K to the extent I don't owe taxes next year - and I'd like to be fairly precise in doing so

Last edited by KFWA; 02/13/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm assuming you mean you don't want to pay taxes at tax time/want your W2 withholding to equal your total tax liability at end of year? Or do you mean you want to completely eliminate your taxable income [I]entirely[/] via use of deductions and/or refundable credits and receive some portion back? The latter would mean getting your taxable income down to where tax credits eliminate your entire liability and you maximize your available refundable credits.

Precise is going to require information. Leverage what you already entered into your 2018 return software to avoid re-entry.

You can game it yourself using your tax software and saving a copy of your actual return, and tweaking the W2 entry values for #1 Fed taxable Income (the amount adjusted down when your 401k contribution goes up), and #2 your federal tax withholding. If nothing else changes from your current return, that's an easy way of doing it.
IIRC, calculating the change in simulated withholding is pretty straightforward as a percentage of your federal taxable wage for an entire year if you have your pay stubs available, unless bonuses or other W2 oddities are involved. But those latter items can be nearly impossible to estimate with precision anyway since you won't know the basis or the growth for next year.
That's the easiest way to make sure you're including the impact of things like the scaling of non-refundable tax credits or AMT in your estimate.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I tried it with my tax software but I didn't get anywhere.

I need it simplified a bit more and I'd like more flexibility in playing what if. My Tax software doesn't really lend itself to that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (375TN, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 358wsm, 14 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.