-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have two choices, go East and you wont have as much snow but bitter cold and windchill and possible blizzards. Go west and you have deep snow, gloomy gray days. If you don't want to spend all day feeding a stove and shoveling snow you might be better off elsewhere. Several months of the year I cant cross my property without snow shoes.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know where I'd go but sorry ain't sayin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My yard and this is a mild snow year...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow. Seems the western part of the state is a bit warmer than the central part according to the USDA growth charts I looked at. Are there a lot of seasonal residents in the mountains or are they mostly full time residents? I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

I moved out west from NYC 14 years ago. But I grew up in NW WI on a dairy farm and have lived in many places so I knew what I was getting into.You have a lot to learn

You want to
Live in a remote area of NW Montana in a remote location off the grid and not cut wood feed the stove and not deal with snow removal. And just hunt and fish?Wow. Good luck

Last edited by ribka; 02/13/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Basically, any place that you live west of the Mississippi Delaware Water Gap is going to be a lot more to your liking than Jersey. Actually, I've found that most any place west of there period is nicer to live. Just move--you'll like it better. Avoid the west of I-5 corridor on the Left Coast, and all will be well.

FIXT...

Actually, the renting suggestion has a good bit of merit to it. Renting one place for a couple years. Or, renting a couple places for a year each. Give you time to get to know the area, and possibly see something you might like better, BEFORE you spend the nest egg. A lot easier to do recon when you are local.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar

[Linked Image]

I'd like to meet your dog. Good looking sumbish.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will Gruff, when we go fishing she goes....

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow. Seems the western part of the state is a bit warmer than the central part according to the USDA growth charts I looked at. Are there a lot of seasonal residents in the mountains or are they mostly full time residents? I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

For [bleep]'s sake

Guess I got suckered into making a serious post on what I took to be an honest thread.

Ah well

Saw it right off.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Finally in a position to move. House is sold. I’m looking for any helpful info on relocating. Initially I was looking into Wyoming but I can’t find anything suitable in my price range. I prefer a cabin or property in a mountainous part of the state. I continually read that Montana is turning into a liberal state. I don’t want my new home to turn into my old one (NJ). Should I be looking at another state? I’m an avid hunter, fisherman and trapper. What part of the state has the most variety of (huntable populations) game? Most of my research says the game populations are falling in the NW part of the state. I guess that’s wolves at work?? I love to predator hunt so bears and wolves are welcome neighbors. I’m not a fan of people so I don’t want to be near a population center. People generally suck....at least around here they do. I have a pension so I don’t need a job so that isn’t a factor. I’m hoping to fly out in May to check some properties and maybe piggyback a little bear hunting onto the trip if the weather cooperates. Thanks

Montana and Idaho both see a lot of folks with the same thoughts as yours about the great west and living it rough, most of them make it a year or two and then they are back where they came from.

Most small towns are cliquish and regardless of whether you want interaction with locals or not it is a necessary part of life. As far as not having to spend most of your winter dealing with snow and firewood, the idea of spending your time hunting, fishing, and trapping are pretty much a fantasy.

There is a fellow who moved in near me (about 30 miles away) from your part of the world. He did the same thing you are proposing to do - he came out in late spring and again in early fall - he fell in love with the country even though he was told he should spend a winter before purchasing, he failed to heed the advice. The first winter he was constantly posting pictures on forums and talking about how great it all was, now he is going into his second winter and is already talking about selling and moving closer to a city for more conveniences. Reality hits when you realize that it is 30 miles or more, to a gas station, or even a place to buy a loaf of bread. It is neat to think about snowmobiling out to get supplies, etc but the day the snowmobile doesn't start and you have no cell service reality sets in quickly.

Spend a least a year renting to see if the country fits you and you fit the country, and even then there are no guarantees. Last winter I had 3 ft of snow and it was a constant battle just to keep my 300 yard lane open to the nearest plowed road - this year I haven't had more than 2 inches of snow on the ground at once.

I have a friend in the Flathead that sells real estate, he says it is the greatest place in the world to be a real estate salesman -
Folks come see it in the late spring, summer, early fall and fall in love with it. Then after one winter of not seeing nothing but gray skies and shoveling snow the property is back on the market waiting for the next dreamer.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by callnum
We are already full of immigrants. Try N. Idaho.

What town do you live in? I’d like to avoid it because you’re clearly an asswipe and can’t comprehend what you read. I didn’t ask about N. Idaho. I asked about Montana so GFY

Yep, we don’t want you.

Hey, ass*hole. You don't even know the guy.

He asked a thoughtful question and that's all you've got?

What a pos.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We live in the 'fancy' part of town and my neighbor is currently plowing 'our' street. No HOA strictly REZ.

Granted in town and .5 acreage but I'd let the palace go for $300k.

And that would include 1 month per year of super prime beaver and coyote trapping rights.

And firewood rights.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/13/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I live on the Westside of the state and you better like snow. You will not be out hunting or trapping or whatever you think you will be. You will be filling the fire place and plowing snow and shoveling your roof and digging yourself out. Trips to town for will be an all day event. Did it today. 100 miles to Missoula. Left at 8am. Home at 4:30. It is what it is. We have lots of implants in our community. They seem drawn to it for some reason. They last on average 2-3 years and gone. Many places for sale as a result. Our local population is sick on the invasion and will treat you as such. Money has no influence on that either. Most people don’t have much money and are content that way and won’t be nice just to get some of yours. If you have an east coast acsent it will be even harder. All the public land is virtually inaccessible during winter months due to snow. All the good land is occupied/owned and what’s left is unoccupied for a reason. Towns are clicky and might take many years to be accepted. They six months of spring/summer/fall are great but a lot of your time will be preparing for winter and doing maintenance on the structure and property. Many years we are covered up in choking smoke from forest fires come summer and fall. Premium tags are getting harder and harder to draw even as a resident. Every man woman and child hunts so while the population is low the woods are crawling. Taxes aren’t as good as one would think. Insurance premiums are higher than most states.
Vehicle registrations are high on newer vehicles. You spend half of hunting season cuttin wood for the coming winter.

I am sure I am missing a bunch of other things I commonly hear. Montana is a mindset and without the proper one, it is NO paradise. You must charish the lifestyle to fully appreciate the state. Come visit and spend some time before doing anything. If you want less people the west side is the wrong side. But then again the East side is pretty vacant for a reason.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow.

I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

Living remote, the importance of maintaining my wood supply and keeping a steady fire burning some what parallels what keeping meat in my freezer, food in the frig and preparing and eating meals is like. It can be on a continual regular basis without option.

Folks living in town shovel and dig their way out of a snow fall.

Folks living rural have a truck with a plow attached, typically a dedicated unit so you don't beat the hell outta the pickup they drive regularly.

Folks living remote own heavy equipment, bulldozer, road grader, etc. I got by with a backhoe once but it kinda sucked.

It's sorta like keeping up with the wood stove or eating, ya can't let it slide. Often one good snow deserves another, if ya let it pile up well, that's where the D7 dozer comes into play.

I have 2 miles of road that's only maintained by a few folks, then there is the driveways, some upwards of a 1/4 mile long. We have a older gal that lost her husband 3 years ago, been doing that drive ever since. A young family that lives half ways to the hardtop road has two kids they have to drive in to town to school every week day, the husband is in the Marines and deployed right now, that's another one that is on the list until he gets back.

That's the basics, thats just getting the day started,,,,,

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Must be close to spring, your snow drift is sprouting a dog.

I plow about 1/2 mile of private road to get to the county road, plus part of yard so the dogs can go potty. If you plan on heating with wood, even a small place will eat 4-5 cords a year. I burn 3-4 tons of pellets each year so I don’t have to cut wood.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Speak for yourself.

You are an A1 douche.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep

Good reality check. Between plowing, keeping for going, getting snow off roof, fixing plow, generator helping neighbor with ms get his driveway plowed have had very little free time this past week

Originally Posted by akasparky
I’m more concerned about bitter cold as opposed to snow.

I’d rather not spend all of my time feeding a wood stove and digging out from the snow instead of being out in the woods doing what I enjoy.

Living remote, the importance of maintaining my wood supply and keeping a steady fire burning some what parallels what keeping meat in my freezer, food in the frig and preparing and eating meals is like. It can be on a continual regular basis without option.

Folks living in town shovel and dig their way out of a snow fall.

Folks living rural have a truck with a plow attached, typically a dedicated unit so you don't beat the hell outta the pickup they drive regularly.

Folks living remote own heavy equipment, bulldozer, road grader, etc. I got by with a backhoe once but it kinda sucked.

It's sorta like keeping up with the wood stove or eating, ya can't let it slide. Often one good snow deserves another, if ya let it pile up well, that's where the D7 dozer comes into play.

I have 2 miles of road that's only maintained by a few folks, then there is the driveways, some upwards of a 1/4 mile long. We have a older gal that lost her husband 3 years ago, been doing that drive ever since. A young family that lives half ways to the hardtop road has two kids they have to drive in to town to school every week day, the husband is in the Marines and deployed right now, that's another one that is on the list until he gets back.

That's the basics, thats just getting the day started,,,,,

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful Akita, she's perfectly suited to the cold months too!
I haven't had one for 35 years but it's too warm down here these days for their luxurious coat anyway...

Last edited by colodog; 02/13/19. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Lots of valuable information in this thread. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

[Linked Image]

Good looking dog !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The biggest mistake you’ll ever make is showing up and immediately buying a place... live here and rent for a couple years. Get a couple winters under your belt. Explore the state. Take your time. It’s a lot easier to buy rural property than sell it...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.