Print Thread
Hop To
#13559778 02/13/19
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I had an old thread where I had talked about making a forge and whatnot and can't find it. I hate double tapping topics and multiple posts, but given the support on here figured I'd give her a go anyways. Working metal and making edged tools has always been something I wanted to do but never had a chance to pursue for a lot of reasons, mainly mobility and funds. Finally settled into what I hope to be my last residence and took the leap a couple years ago and bought an old coal forge off craigslist, and some coke. Then I bought a 1" belt grinder soon after. Had a blast, and some success with it. I wanted to upgrade to a propane forge and a 2" grinder but really had to make sure I was into it enough and had enough ability to make it worth the expense. Finally realized I'm not getting any younger, and I loved what I was doing, so I saved up and took the leap. I got a grinder for Christmas, and just got my new forge this week and have used it a couple times now. Wow, what a difference. I truly love running the coal forge, but time constraints and whatnot mean it's not always going to work. I'll still keep it around, as I am sure there are going to be odd shaped pieces or odd shaped ideas in my noggin that'll necessitate it's use. But damn that propane forge is bad-friggin-ass. I'm still learning (a lot) and growing but am happy so far with what I've been able to turn out. I have one pattern I've made and sold a half-dozen of, my goal is just to make enough money for the hobby to pay for itself (handle materials, belts, propane, random tools, etc.). If I get time this weekend I'll figure out how to post pics of some my stuff for public ridicule and consumption. smile

I researched as much as I could, and budgeted etc. and ended up with a Grizzly 2X72 and a Chile Forge Habanero. I can't say enough good things about Chile Forge. Class act folks, happy to do business and recommend them to anyone else.

MAGA
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Look forward to the pics.

How’s life?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang Gruff, that sounds sweet , I would like to check that out. I make custom knives, well actually make custom handles on pre-made blanks. Then build a sheath.
The forge thing is cool. Do you use 1095 steel? do you have a heat treat oven or simply quench?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
BGG, I too have wanted to work metal for a long time. Specifically, make knives. A friend of mine is a blacksmith and has a fully equipped shop. Just finished up my 3rd lesson knife. Someday I hope to have my own setup.

Good for you, persuing your dream.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Googled it. Nice looking forge gruff. They sure have come a long way.

That'll work good for you. Says it will operate down to 3psi! That will save you gas.

Estate auction in your area should be a source for tongs and tools.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Look forward to the pics.

How’s life?

Life's good man, real good. Barring the foundered gelding, but the winter's been mild! I haven't photbucketed since they took a shidt whenever that was. I'll sit down and read the tutorial or figure something out in the next day or 2.

Originally Posted by irfubar
Dang Gruff, that sounds sweet , I would like to check that out. I make custom knives, well actually make custom handles on pre-made blanks. Then build a sheath.
The forge thing is cool. Do you use 1095 steel? do you have a heat treat oven or simply quench?

Going against what advice I've seen written on the 'net I've been using repurposed steel. Started out with files, but now mainly leaf springs and couple old coil springs that may have been found near the RR tracks. I quench in oil, and temper in the oven in the house. Nothing I make is going to go in a magazine or bring boku bucks, but they work and actually so far work well. I've had my failures for sure. Cracks, failure to harden etc. But instead of chucking the piece across the shop (every time) I take it for what it's worth and figure every piece is an education in moving the metal, and making mistakes now that I try not to repeat.

Buying flat stock to the thickness I want, and cutting and grinding a knife out of it just doesn't do anything for me. Working the material is the best part for me, the grinding and polishing is just something I have to do to finish the piece. If you see anything you like I'd be happy to give you a couple blanks for you to put handles on if you wanted. Might pay my way onto that boat. wink

Originally Posted by byron
BGG, I too have wanted to work metal for a long time. Specifically, make knives. A friend of mine is a blacksmith and has a fully equipped shop. Just finished up my 3rd lesson knife. Someday I hope to have my own setup.

Good for you, persuing your dream.

Having a place to borrow tools and equipment to use would be an awesome way to start. Beats what I did by I mile I'm sure. Gives you an idea what you might want or not want or do different in your own place. I don't know I've ever been more content than with a bottle of mead, some good tunes on, and the fire going hot in the forge.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Googled it. Nice looking forge gruff. They sure have come a long way.

That'll work good for you. Says it will operate down to 3psi! That will save you gas.

Estate auction in your area should be a source for tongs and tools.

I did a LOT of looking around with the forge. Thought about making one, as you well know there's a fair number of plans online as well as pre-made models and companies too. But I just kept reading and looking, and saving. Finally figured what the hell, if I"m going to do it I might as well buy once/cry once. Wasn't anyone's definition of cheap, but when I called they answered all my questions and were super cool and polite. Had some other issues come up they offered to be gracious about even. End of the day, after a couple uses I could not be more satisfied. I was skittish wondering how much propane I'd go through. Said I needed minimum 40lb tanks because of the cold, so I snagged 2 so I could always have one full. Would like to get a bigger one that I'd fill same time as the house tank, but that's down the road. So far the first tank is lasting longer that I was afraid it would, my propane costs aren't going to be as bad as I was afraid. That being said, I've only been using the one burner. Up to around 10 psi to start, then as the stock gets thinner I crank her down to 5 psi and it's been sweet. I was used to the coal forge, and had time between heats to do other things, keeping moving. Boy this is different. First night was an education, the stock kept reheating way faster than I was used to, I swung the hammer a lot more in those 3.5 hours than I was used to lol.

I have one set of tongs I made I use for some of the handling, but for the hammering out I still use vise grips, or sometimes weld on a piece of rebar to start out. Pretty amateurish I know, but hell it works and for now is easier than having 15 different tongs. Though I do have about a half dozen hammers I cycle through depending what I'm doing. I need to get an anvil setup with a good hardy hole and turning cams so I can really expand on what I'm able to do. Baby steps I guess. smile

MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar

what kind of handles?.....bob

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BGG

Lots of utube vids to check out.

Not into knife making my own damn self, but Ive done hay string knives from LMB metal - lawn moaner blade.

Other scrap and even rebar we call J-steel...junk steel. I made a letter opener out of 1/4" rebar. Hammered a bit, the ridges produce an Interesting texture.

Turning cams are for anvil w no horn. wink

You're getting the hang of gas management it seems.

As you know, the tank chills as gas is removed. They can even freeze up on the tank and the valve. If temps are not too bad, you can put the tank in a tub of water as a heat sink.

Have fun!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ive done hay string knives

Yeah.... Me, too......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

old sickle bar teeth work great.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Looks like ya caught a shark!
Nice, Don.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding Gruff.....be sure and post a pic or three when you get it up and running......better yet.....post one of it in use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Gruff, this guy is a wealth of information when it comes to forging, steel and heat treating.

https://cashenblades.com/mathertonforge/

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Ive done hay string knives

Yeah.... Me, too......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

old sickle bar teeth work great.

Dad would weld two mower teeth to a steel bar with a electrical tape handle. Worked well.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Gruff, this guy is a wealth of information when it comes to forging, steel and heat treating.

https://cashenblades.com/mathertonforge/

Wow you aren't kidding. I've but broken off enough off the iceberg to fill my beverage glass, there's a whole phouc ton to learn, just depends how far a guy wants to take it. Wish I'd have taken the leap 20 years ago. But hell a guy has to start somewhere.

MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,879 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.