Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I placed an order with Leopold for a CDS dial for the scope on my .280, after working up a new load for it. Ordered it on Feb. 1, and it showed up in the mail today, Feb. 12! That’s pretty fast turnaround.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Damn, ordered 2 ar the same time and had the. In about 3.5 weeks. Was also over the holidays

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mine was back in about 2 weeks as well.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. What’s a dial cost?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I need to decide which round I want my cds dial made for. I got a free coupon for one with a vx5 I just picked up.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a bunch I need to send off for, glad it’s so quick

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The last CDS dial I ordered was back in 2 weeks. Good service.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Calvin

The last two, including this one, were FREE. Don't know why- I even emailed them to see what I owed them, they said nothing.
Maybe it's because I have ordered a half dozen or so in the past? The last two were not for a new scope, btw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Avoid yardage dials and get a zero stop MOA. It will do what a yardage dial does and more. It is just as fast too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Avoid yardage dials and get a zero stop MOA. It will do what a yardage dial does and more. It is just as fast too.

Well no...it’s not as fast but yes more versatile. I prefer MOA/mil dials but love the speed of my yardage dials.

100% Public land DIY!
IC B3

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hunter5325
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Well no...it’s not as fast but yes more versatile. I prefer MOA/mil dials but love the speed of my yardage dials.

Agree- If you are actually going to hunt with dials, the yardage option is much easier to use in the field, when a shot at game presents itself. No calculation needed, just range, judge wind, and shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no calculating in the field with MOA. Look at your dope chart and go to that MOA. Works with every load you will ever want to try and every elevation you will ever hunt. The only cyphering you have to do is to remember .25 is 1 click, .50 two, .75 three and back to a whole.

For those using a yardage dial, have you tested drops at your ranges with the given load? What if you buy a yardage dial and spin it to , say 450 yards because your range finder indicated a 436 range to the paper target.

Uh oh. OK, 450 is printed so 450 it is. You shoot but impact is off by 4 inches. Hmmm. Better make a note before the next hunting trip to make some kind of allowance. But What? Can't change the engravings.

Things only get worse the farther you shoot.

If you have an MOA come ups are a click away to get your dope chart exact and flexible for any load.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bighorn,

Glad you got it so fast! We engrave every one of those CDS dials individually, so turnaround time can vary a lot depending on how many folks are ordering that week or month. As you might imagine, we're going a lot faster now than we were in October!

Be Bold. Be Adventurous. Be Relentless. // We do not actively engage in threads or respond to private messages. For customer service help, please contact us directly at 1-800-LEUPOLD or [email protected].
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Calvin

First one per serial number is free.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Can they take a first gen CDS and put a new locking CDS dial on it? Leupold ?? It’s too loose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been shooting cds dials for about 10 years on multiple chamberings, all big bores. They have been very accurate out to 750 yards.
Past that, I’m not 100% certain if it’s the dial calibration that causes poi changes as much as it’s atmospheric elements pushing the shot around.

I would agree, that should a hunter decide to learn turrets. He would find it easier to change loads, adjust to different elevations when travel hunting and definitely have flexibility on ammunition...You are stuck with one load for each scope, matched to one rifle. Change requires a new cds dial.

For those considering a cds dial, either from Leupold or elsewhere. It is extremely important to chronograph a sample of cartridges to get the average of fps on your loads. If your using box ammo, you shouldn’t go off what is published on the box for fps. It’s always inaccurate.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only difference between a CDS Dial and a “Drop Chart”.... is where it’s located.

A CDS dial is ALWAYS faster than a Drop Chart.... but it’s WAY faster when a critter changes distance in you. Because all your dope is on the turret, you never have to move your face from the stock and the sight picture in order to adjust for changes in range. If your chart is taped to the stock, you have to look completely away from the target, and often move the gun. Then you have to dial, them reaquire the sight picture. Ooops.... animal moved another 50 yards while you were doing that.... lather, rinse, repeat.

Also.... it’s pretty easy to knock a click off... or add a click or two based on changes in angles, temps, or other environmentals.... the same way you would with a drop chart. No one carries a drop chart for every imaginable scenario.

I agree... if you like to change loads, and tinker with stuff, then a CDS isn’t the best idea. But, if you’ve settled on a load, and you’re using it primarily for hunting... then a CDS is a great was to go.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dog, I agree. Except for the loss of the coolness factor by pulling out my smart phone to acquire ballistic calculations. Looking at my shiny laminated drop chart taped to my stock-on the opposite side of my F-I-S-T sticker is a lot sexier than just clicking up a lazed number in my RF, then dialing up dope on my turrets...At least I can fall back on my Sitka Ninja pants to look cool.

Real story...I considered myself not smart enough to figure out my drops correctly with all the different chamberings I shoot. I admire those who run turrets correctly. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
The only difference between a CDS Dial and a “Drop Chart”.... is where it’s located.

A CDS dial is ALWAYS faster than a Drop Chart.... but it’s WAY faster when a critter changes distance in you. Because all your dope is on the turret, you never have to move your face from the stock and the sight picture in order to adjust for changes in range. If your chart is taped to the stock, you have to look completely away from the target, and often move the gun. Then you have to dial, them reaquire the sight picture. Ooops.... animal moved another 50 yards while you were doing that.... lather, rinse, repeat.

Also.... it’s pretty easy to knock a click off... or add a click or two based on changes in angles, temps, or other environmentals.... the same way you would with a drop chart. No one carries a drop chart for every imaginable scenario.

I agree... if you like to change loads, and tinker with stuff, then a CDS isn’t the best idea. But, if you’ve settled on a load, and you’re using it primarily for hunting... then a CDS is a great was to go.

I've been using CDS dials for about 10 years now, like Beav. I couldn't agree more with your post Dogshooter, you speak from experience. I know I've posted this many times before, but there is a simple solution to a new "dial" without ordering one, and they work great.

http://customturretsystems.com/

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,643
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.