Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I think what this thread really shows is that you don't need a rifle that is 1 MOA for 20 shots to do most things that can be done with a rifle and that includes winning matches (BR excluded). Just look at everything people are accomplishing with rifles that couldn't meet this standard on a good day.

Its a known fact that you can shoot deer with a 2 moa hunting rifle. That' not what this thread is about, and hopefully never will be what it's about. There's a hunting rifle forum with loud mouths spouting off things like my rifle is a "sub 1/2 moa" or "sub moa all day long" rifle and here's the thread right here where they can prove it. Like I have said, we have 8 shooters now that have proven it... If you'd like though, you can keep stroking those little fu cks' ego's that can't shoot, but swear they can. One nice thing about this thread that I have noticed is, theres a whole hell of a lot less talk of those "sub 1/2 moa" rifles on the 24hrcampfire site now. Why? Because they know I'll call them out on it... In this world, there's always those that can do, those that can't and those that claim they can... Which one are you? Post your targets man... As of right now, we have 22,226 views to this thread. Guys know its here, but they don't post targets for obvious reasons...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think what this thread really shows is that you don't need a rifle that is 1 MOA for 20 shots to do most things that can be done with a rifle and that includes winning matches (BR excluded). Just look at everything people are accomplishing with rifles that couldn't meet this standard on a good day.

Its a known fact that you can shoot deer with a 2 moa hunting rifle. That' not what this thread is about, and hopefully never will be what it's about. There's a hunting rifle forum with loud mouths spouting off things like my rifle is a "sub 1/2 moa" or "sub moa all day long" rifle and here's the thread right here where they can prove it. Like I have said, we have 8 shooters now that have proven it... If you'd like though, you can keep stroking those little fu cks' ego's that can't shoot, but swear they can. One nice thing about this thread that I have noticed is, theres a whole hell of a lot less talk of those "sub 1/2 moa" rifles on the 24hrcampfire site now. Why? Because they know I'll call them out on it... In this world, there's always those that can do, those that can't and those that claim they can... Which one are you? Post your targets man... As of right now, we have 22,226 views to this thread. Guys know its here, but they don't post targets for obvious reasons...

The big questions about moa, who decides if a 3,5 or 10 shot groupis moa?Or is that left upto the person starting the challenge and their rules? Where is is it written too have a true moa rifle it has to be10 shots? Can it be 5? Again where is it written or accepted standard how many shots you need in group to say you have a moa rifle? Just curious? Side story, was at the range Sunday. Some guys shooting and I heard the word RUM after they came back down from checking targets I asked what rum do you have. They said 338 RUM. I said ouch, no brake/break on it and it was whipping there a$$ anyhow back to shooting and damn that thing looked painful. So we go cold i head down to check target, I looked at there target and it had 3 holes in it nowhere near the center and was like a 5 inch group lol... what’s the point well no one is going to shoot that 338 rum 20 times and be very accurate with it. Now put a brake/break on it then maybe one could, do it. That’s why this challenge is probably applies to smaller calibers or non magnums.

Last edited by 79S; 02/13/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
For me, I could care less if someone claims MOA on 3, 5 or 50, whatever makes them happy.
I've said here for a long time that I'd take a 1.5 MOA lightweight rifle and kill anything I need to kill.

So the challenge on this challenge has been to shoot my lightweight barrels as fast as I could get a sight picture and no what my guns will do.
Nothing wrong with shooting heavier match type guns or letting the barrel cool, just not what I'm after.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can one shoot this even if your rifle has no iron sights?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You can shoot scoped rifles or open sights, it's up to you.

This challenge applies to all rifles but most people aren't going to try it, or if they do they won't post the results. It's not about X number of rounds being the standard for claiming MOA, it's about putting enough rounds on paper to give a better sample size. 3 shots isn't enough to establish a accuracy baseline and statistically tells you little about accuracy and your rifles zero. 5 shots is better, 10 is even better, but you have to draw the line somewhere and it's not feasible for most people to shoot 10, 10 round groups in a day for an online chllanege. I made it 20 rounds becuse that's usually a box of ammo and shouldn't be too hard for most people to try. Doesn't matter if it's a 20lb 6mm custom rifle or a 7lb magnum.

Also, there is no time limit to the challenge. Shoot 2-3 shots at a time if you need to, as long as you end up with 20 rounds on paper split between two targets.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I made it 20 rounds becuse that's usually a box of ammo and shouldn't be too hard for most people to try. Doesn't matter if it's a 20lb 6mm custom rifle or a 7lb magnum.

Well, that depends on how many rifles one has & how much time one really wants to dedicate to thie project. wink

In my case, with hunting rifles, I could spend a year doing it, so I have zero interest it for those guns as they have all proven themselves worthy via load development testing & actual hunting.

I have chosen the most appropriate AR type rifles to run in the BR Challenge & have done that; as I do more builds if they are of a type where I'm really interested in knowing how really good they are, I'll likely shoot them in that format too. But once done, I see no need to keep doing it, over & over & over......................unless validating new ammo or some significant change to the gun, like a new barrel

But for those that continue to feel the need, please proceed, post haste. I enjoying reading all the bantering BS, of which there seems to be an unending supply.

MM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've always got by fine with 3, 4, or even 5 shot groups for my hunting rifles, I'm no benchrest guy, will say those 10 shot groups are tough, massive concentration at work, particularly pulling on that REPR staple gun trigger, at the end, much relief and fun are on the way, it's all good!

You'll certainly find out what yourself and your wares are made of. smile

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm one who's been reading but hasn't shot or submitted anything yet. I do agree with the premise of comparing 10 rounds instead of 3, I just don't spend much time shooting paper the last couple years since most of our local 100 yd spots have been closed, mostly it's steel at longer distance across canyons where there are no closer shots. Been meaning to shoot it, just gotta get around to it. Probably not till spring or summer though.

Then again, I don't make any claims of "moa all day long" or other chest thumping like that.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/14/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither do I.

Politics is War by Other Means
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Neither do I.

I think most of us participating in this thread don't do that, but there are quite a few on the 'fire in general that really do. It rarely seems to come from the guys who are willing to put up actual results, for obvious reasons.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Finally got a break in the rain.....so went upscale today....

....windy as hell...lot of vertical updrafts....some horizontal ones too....caused POI shift......grin

Ruger #1
458 Win Mag
73 gr of 4895
405 gr Remingon SP

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(2.227+2.529)/2 = 2.378"

2.378 MOA all day long when I do my part.....

Petty sure this puts me squarely in first place

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I'll put 1st for self flagellation..............10 round of 458 off a bench is man's work. wink

MM

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that's taking it up a notch.. I shot a 458 once got 3 shots out of it and that's all she wrote.. I haven't shot one since and plan to keep it that way.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, I'll put 1st for self flagellation..............10 round of 458 off a bench is man's work. wink

MM

But that’s 20.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
....and now I can clap behind my back with my shoulder blades.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

One more just for fun.

Same range, same day, less flinch....

Kimber 8400
168 gr Noslers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

733" avg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Arggh...I might have to load some .475 Turnbulls. It's ridiculously accurate.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

MM

Damn, I'd need to take the rest of the year off if I sent twenty 600gr Woodleighs from my 505. cry grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

MM

Damn, I'd need to take the rest of the year off if I sent twenty 600gr Woodleighs from my 505. cry grin

Considering what 500gr .475 dia Woodleighs cost, I'm just glad I hit on a great load, from the start. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Always nice when that happens Tex.

Trump Won!
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.