Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Curious if anybody here has a ballpark value on a H&R Sportsman revolver. 9 shot .22 with 6" barrel in very nice shape. It does have one flaw; a rust spot shown in the first picture. Serial number has an "R" prefix.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A quick look at gunbroker shows them priced 400.00 -500.00. I wouldn't take that for mine, it's probably my favorite creek walking pistol, had it a long time. I

L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks Beagle......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, about $400. Too neat to pass up, aren’t they?

Tip of sorts: mine had rather tight chambers, bad enough that few rounds would fully seat, and therefore requiring a second or third strike to ignite. Have read it’s a known quirk. A sympathetic gunsmith honed it (and the star) out a hair. Still won’t seat modern winchester ammo (all flavors on hand), but old win, and new cci, blazer, aguila appear ok. Just sharing in case you run into that. Second tip is, my usual gunsmith, pretty savvy guy, deferred on request to disassemble/clean, citing it being a real bear to assemble. YMMV. A trip thru his vibratory solvent tank appears to have been adequate.

Still, neat revovers

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

L
Lawdwaz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks Doc.........I'm the owner now and thinking of selling. I doubt it's had 50 rounds through it in 40+ years that I've been associated with it.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I know what the lever in front of the pivot is for, but what is the lever behind the trigger? Either the one I've handled didn't have it or I didn't notice it. Nice pistol by the way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by LJBass
I know what the lever in front of the pivot is for, but what is the lever behind the trigger? Either the one I've handled didn't have it or I didn't notice it. Nice pistol by the way.

Don’t know what it’s properly called, but it must be depressed or the hammer will stop short of striking. An interupter of sorts. Didn’t really notice it’s function, either, until was trouble shooting my misfiring issue, above.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had the swing out cylinder version, the 940, bought new in 1979 for less than $100.00. I had read that they were a bear to take down and reassemble, so never tried it, pins holding things together. Never liked the accuracy much, traded it in 1987 for a Ruger Mk. 2. Had fun with the H&R though all those years. Used it as a loaner to friends/family who needed a temporary handgun for home protection.

When I moved to Minnesota to attend school in 1981 I shot with 2 guys who had money, and one of them had purchased a Sportsman, as this was the top of H & R's line I was impressed, got to shoot it and it seemed fine. Had always wanted one but they discontinued all models by the time I had any spending money for another handgun. H & R had some of the most beautiful blued finish I have ever seen, amazing for an inexpensive gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.