Hop To
L
Lou_M Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
TC Contender experts,
I have a few older (G1) frames and wanted to add a .357 Max. carbine barrel to the collection.
MGM had what I was looking for available for immediate purchase and so I took the plunge.
The barrel arrived in two days. Prompt and friendly service.
I guess I should have done a bit of research first. The barrel popped right on to a frame that I did not already have barrel mounted on. You probably anticipate what happened next. I can’t open the action. It’s stuck fast.
It happens to be a 5 digit serial numbered frame that previously had a .223 carbine barrel mounted.
I looked online and saw several posts regarding new barrels and old frames. Some posts were not all that helpful. What I should have done etc. Or instructions about what I should do, that for me, were a bit lacking in detail. Such as: Pull out the ####, and with a &^&%$, push back on the #$*&. That didn’t help because I couldn’t pull out the ####, nor did I know what or where the #$*& is. None of these posts were on the Campfire.
An email to MGM went unanswered. An older gent at the gun club who I knew has, or had, a number of Contenders wasn’t able to offer much advice because he had not been in a similar situation. Online disassembly videos I have seen already have the barrels off of the frame.
I tried taking the stock off, pushing out the two pins that hold the barrel on and keep the trigger assembly in place. Neither of those helped. I can’t the trigger guard to lower more than ¼” and that didn’t seem to help. The barrel is wobbly on the frame then, but still I can’t open the action or getting anything to come apart.
Suggestions? What to try myself. Who should I send the barreled frame to?
Thanks in advance if you can help.
Lou M

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a Contender expert, but there's this from a few threads down below yours.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nder-action-wont-open-fully#Post12831618

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cannot offer any advice. But get in touch with Mike Bellm tons of contender knowledge. Bellm TC. If he cannot get you through the problem he is the guy to send it to.

Other option if you want to try some thing yourself is dump all the internals. This show complete disassembly of the frame. Might be able to remove whatever is locking up the barrel.

TC Trigger Job

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Drop the trigger guard and you’ll be able to reach in with a small screw driver and push the locking lugs back.
They likely need to be “dressed” with a stone. I had a similar experience with an early non EZ open frame and a new barrel.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had it happen on an easy open.
Used kitchen counter (curved part w towel over it).
Bonked trigger guard. And she opened.

Said screw it and sold the offending bbl.
Wasn't one I was gonna keep anyway (purchased w 2 others).

Last edited by hookeye; 01/21/19.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When you recover...by bonking it on a padded table. (works every time)... stone that split bolt like this:
[Linked Image] courtesy archives of Mike Bellm

Last edited by gemihur; 01/25/19.

...making America shoot straight again.
L
Lou_M Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thank you to all who responded. Following the suggestions and instructions to remove the trigger group, I got the new MGM .357 Max barrel off and mounted it on a different (G1) frame. I have not shot the rifle yet but it opens and closes like my other combinations that have proved successful. I tried another older barrel on that vintage 5 digit serial number frame and the same thing happened. I guess if I if use that old frame it will have to be with the original .223 barrel only.
Lou M

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great info, was very useful. Thanks for sharing.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old frames need what is called the "easy open mod". Get in touch with Bullberry, Bellm or perhaps MGM.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.