Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Timothy Murphy, Revolutionary War. The more you know about the man, the more impressive.
To bad no one pays attention to our history. This guy impacted American History, in our favor.

This....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Timothy Murphy, Revolutionary War. The more you know about the man, the more impressive.
To bad no one pays attention to our history. This guy impacted American History, in our favor.

Not if he saved the Union.

Read what fishdog52 wrote jag the 3rd and 4th words crazy
We need a smiley with a pair of glasses grin

You need to talk to ricbin and make it happen eye doc crazy laugh

grin

Last edited by renegade50; 02/16/19.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Carlos Hathcock gets maximum cool points for mounting a Unertl scope on an M2 and making up to 2500 yard shots with it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sure hope you're being sarcastic. That sonofabitch should have been tried for murder. (Horiuchi)

Last edited by Papag; 02/16/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
obviously they all could shoot.the one I would never want hunting me above all of them would be carlos hathcock.the term relentless and also mentally tough with zero quit defines this man..not demeaning others at all.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just finished the book about Carlos Hathcock "Marine Sniper", If he wanted you dead you best be making the sign of the cross. Certainly not taking anything away from some of the other well known snipers but reading how he once crawled for three days into position over open ground to kill a VC general and then get away is an incredible feat. And also the fact that he was instrumental in helping set up the Marine sniper program from the beginning he is at the top of my list. God bless him!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Two books that might interest you all are:

"Avenging Angels" by Lyuba Vinogradova. It's about the young women of the Soviet Union's WWII Sniper Corps.

And "Notes of a Russian Sniper " by Vassali Zaitsev. It's about his time mostly at Stalingrad.

Both are available in English translations. Amazon and Abebooks.

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Carlos

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sloone
obviously they all could shoot.the one I would never want hunting me above all of them would be carlos hathcock.the term relentless and also mentally tough with zero quit defines this man..not demeaning others at all.

And I think he was dealing with the toughest environment of any of the others & with likely much fewer targets of opportunity.

The man was a hunter extraordinaire, not just a shooter.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Papag
Sure hope you're being sarcastic. That sonofabitch should have been HANGED for murder. (Horiuchi)

fixt it

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

And I think he was dealing with the toughest environment of any of the others & with likely much fewer targets of opportunity.

MM

His body of work encompassed the entire craft not just shooting a rifle and killing people. Some will just never understand that. When they hear sniper all they think about is the shooting aspect.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

His body of work encompassed the entire craft not just shooting a rifle and killing people. Some will just never understand that. When they hear sniper all they think about is the shooting aspect.

Yes, I think you're right.

Taking nothing away from Chris Kyle, but I'd count him as more of a shooter than a hunter, stalker.

But again, the environments were so different, I also think it's hard to make a direct comparison.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Simo Häyhä

Chuck Mahwinney and Vasily Zaytsev were also superior to Hathcock (with all due respect to Gunny)

I'm not sure you can compare them, how would Hathcock done in an urban setting, how would Zaytsev have done in the jungle with ants and leeches up his ass..or Kyle. Hathcock I believe had to work harder for a shot than Kyle did, Kyle was taking humvee rides from roof to roof in a target rich environment, running and gunning.

I know nothing about who was better, but I believe Hathcock endured more misery per shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hathcock was a hunter. Kyle was a shooter. Not taking anything from Kyle, just different circumstances.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Simo Häyhä

Chuck Mahwinney and Vasily Zaytsev were also superior to Hathcock (with all due respect to Gunny)

I know nothing about who was better, but I believe Hathcock endured more misery per shot.

I don't imagine Stalingrad , Finland, the Western Front or Gallipoli were all that pleasant Either

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Simo Häyhä

I don't imagine Stalingrad , Finland, the Western Front or Gallipoli were all that pleasant Either

Give me the cold and warm jacket over the jungle and the insects. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KAG!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Hathcock was a hunter. Kyle was a shooter. Not taking anything from Kyle, just different circumstances.

Thats not that's not entirely true.

Before deploying to South Vietnam, Hathcock had won shooting championships, including matches at Camp Perry and the Wimbledon Cup. In 1966, Hathcock started his deployment in the Vietnam War as a military policeman and later became a sniper after Captain Edward James Land pushed the Marines into raising snipers in every platoon. Land later recruited Marines who had set their own records in sharpshooting; he quickly found Hathcock, who had won the Wimbledon Cup, the most prestigious prize for long-range shooting, at Camp Perry in 1965.[3]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Simo Häyhä

With all things being considered, I doubt there was a war that could equal the Eastern Front in WW2. The Germans and the Russians hated each other passionately, and conditions under which they fought could be downright miserable. The survival rate there was probably about as low as it could have been anywhere. Some of the Russian snipers ran up scores of 500+ kills, and did so with a rifle that's not generally thought of as being all that great. While they did have a lot of targets to shoot at, those targets were also shooting back at them.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 2500HD, 222Sako, 219DW, 49 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,391
Posts18,506,846
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.