Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have sweaty feet..
Seems no mater how cold it is , or how good of socks I wear if I walk more than a 1/4 mile my feet get sweaty in 400 gr ins boots.
I’ve pretty much settled on uninsulated boots while walking.
Stand hunting I settled on boot blankets.

Last edited by Stilllearning; 02/17/19.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
go buy a pair of Patagonia sock liners - very thin and sheer. wear UNDER a regular pair of hiking socks or Smartwool... THANK me later.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So will these stay in place and not crinkle up in the bottom of my boots like every other liner sock I’ve ever tried ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get those sock liners and use a merino wool sock to wick the moisture. Carry an extra pair of the wool socks to switch them out .

Last edited by Kyhilljack; 02/17/19.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
So will these stay in place and not crinkle up in the bottom of my boots like every other liner sock I’ve ever tried ?

These will:

https://www.injinji.com/liner-crew-large.html

PS, for me i's not the temperature that dictates insulated vs non-insulated, it's what you said in your first post, walking vs. sitting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried antiperspirant?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Stilllearning

These will:

https://www.injinji.com/liner-crew-large.html

PS, for me i's not the temperature that dictates insulated vs non-insulated, it's what you said in your first post, walking vs. sitting.

Those look like they would drive me nuts.
I can’t stand stuff between my toes .
I usually wear thorlos above freezing and smart wool below freezing.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Have you tried antiperspirant?

Have heard of it , but never tried it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stilllearning: IF... you are still learning here's a suggestion for you - don't buy ANYTHING at, or from, patagonia!
They are anti-Hunting zealots and since I learned how evil they are 20+ years ago I have not bought a single item from them.
There are plenty of pro-Hunter sporting goods stores and chains that treat Hunters and Hunting with the respect they (we) deserve.
I bought my "sock liner" socks at Eddie Bauers decades ago (four pair of them) and they have lasted me all this time - even though I am down to just 3 pair now.
Where the other pair went is beyond me.
Once its cold and I am Hunting Elk in areas where I will be walking a lot I get along well with my Danner boots, Eddie Bauer liners and quality outer socks.
If I am going to do more stand Hunting then I go to the insulated pack boots with the aforementioned sock layers.
I use the sock liners when Antelope Hunting even in the heat as they somehow reduce friction burns on my feet (blisters).
Good luck with which ever method you choose but please avoid the anti-Hunters at patagonia stores.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get some Dahlgrens socks. They work, and you won't have to wear a liner.

So long as your feet are staying warm, then insulation is a hindrance not a help.

https://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For me it’s not temperature, it’s what type of hunt I expect to make. If we’re going to be doing a lot of walking, go with little to no insulation. Just the opposite, if stand hunting or limited hiking! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never weighed any of my boots, so have no comment on grains. If sitting/stand hunting in cold weather, my felt lined Sorrels or Whites. If hiking in dry conditions my non-insulated Whites. Regardless of conditions, always heavy wool socks.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Injinjis are the truth. As anyone whose feet has ever gotten cold knows, it starts at the toes.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Should have been grams not gr. My bad.
Most synthetic insulation in boots is measured in grams. 400 grams is a medium amount of insulation.
It wasn’t referring to the actual weight of the boots.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If I know I'll be moving, I don't wear insulated boots until it gets below about 20 unless I'll be in wet snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I wear the same insulated boots all the time when hunting.Dove season thru elk season.Good poly inner socks and wool blend over them. Colder weather, I start using chemical toe warmers. Snow,I switch to packs

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I wear the same insulated boots all the time when hunting.Dove season thru elk season.Good poly inner socks and wool blend over them. Colder weather, I start using chemical toe warmers. Snow,I switch to packs

I'm sure you know as well as I do how cold feet can get in stirrups.

Do you use Hot Hand toe warmers or have you found a better brand? I tried some Hot Hands a while back and wasn't that impressed.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use the " Little Hotties" sold by Costco,so don't know if they are Hot Hands.Sometimes I have to change them out mid day and sometimes I have to use two, the 2nd one being under my arch, but I have terrible circulation in my feet. Another possibility is the full insoles that are sold now. Do not use the Hot Hand brand as they are too small, but get the Grabber brands. They work great and fit my size ten feet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sock liners and meriono wool outer socks work for me. Went ice fishing yesterday, -14 f went we set out from the truck, about a mile walk, fished 5 hours in 400 gr insulated boots, toward the end toes were not real warm , but wouldnt call them cold either.

Like others have said, the right sock combo can be key. When hunting and hiking a lot, I carry fresh liners and socks for a mid day change.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Where the other pair went is beyond me.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The dryer ate them!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I use the " Little Hotties" sold by Costco,so don't know if they are Hot Hands.Sometimes I have to change them out mid day and sometimes I have to use two, the 2nd one being under my arch, but I have terrible circulation in my feet. Another possibility is the full insoles that are sold now. Do not use the Hot Hand brand as they are too small, but get the Grabber brands. They work great and fit my size ten feet
I'll be on a scout snowshoe/XC ski campout this coming weekend & will be needing some toe warmers. I was in town yesterday and the only brands I could find were Hot Hands and Heat Factory. I've never had good luck with Hot Hands. I've never heard of Heat Factory but I got a couple pairs of them to try. We'll see. Looks like everyone's out of the other brands. I have good insulated hiking boots but my XC ski boots are cold. They have to be snug for control and the tight fit makes them cold. It's supposed to be in the low teens up there on the weekend. I hope these things work or I'm going to have cold stumps on the ends of my legs.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.