Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used the 270 win to take 3 bears here in Montana. All with 130gr Barnes TSX. Two dropped on the spot, the other jumped off the gated logging road and rolled down hill about 30 yards before hanging up in a tree.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Region6
I have used the 270 win to take 3 bears here in Montana. All with 130gr Barnes TSX. Two dropped on the spot, the other jumped off the gated logging road and rolled down hill about 30 yards before hanging up in a tree.

You shot a bear off a gate?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Good stuff this thread. I do agree that a black bear will hit the deck fast and get up even faster with a poor hit. Brought 2 different guests with me that made poor hits on a bear. One hit the ground backwards, got his feet under him and was gone in a flash. No recovery. The other one collapsed on his belly and in one motion sprung up and was gone like he jumped a hurdle. No recovery.

Pissed me off both times especially since one of the guests was a seasoned hunter and did not wait for his shot despite the bear closing the distance and walking toward him.

My experience has been a little different. Only two black bears I've shot dropped, and both didn't get up. The rest ran after being shot without dropping. Deer on the other hand have been more likely to drop and get up. I'm now more suspicious and worried about deer that drop than the ones that run off.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I'll be sure to avoid those "Burger" bullets....TFF.

FWIW, I've killed 50+ black bears myself, and seen at least that many more killed, and through my eyes,(based on real world experience)black bears, even large, old boars are no harder to kill than a deer.

Learning how and when to shoot will solve about 99% of so called bullet failures...…

The largest black bear I've ever killed was with one 130gr Berger Hunting VLD at a touch over 280 meters with a .260. It was a frontal shot, with a slight quartering angle, facing. I recovered the bullet lodged in the left hip bone.

He went less than 50 feet.

So of that 100+ bears how many were killed with your .220 Swift or Bill's or George's .22-250s? grin

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I much prefer heavy for caliber bullets in something 6.5 or larger.......

Yes, a .22 Mag can work. I just like to shoot bears with something that should work when everything goes WRONG rather than something that CAN work when everything goes right.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear hunting in AK, I use Accubonds in a .300WM or .300WSM. In my .30-06 I use Barnes 180 gr. TTSX, and the .308 Win, my son uses we shoot 168gr. Barnes TTSX from it. I have never felt that either bullet wasn't up to the challenge on brown bear or black bear. I have yet to shoot one, but I have a buddy that has shot several black bears the last three seasons with Barnes TTSX's from a .300WM or .338WM.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've killed five with factory Federal Premium 165gr Barnes TSX out of a .300 WSM and one with a factory 180gr Nosler Accubond out of a .338 Federal. Both rifles were Kimber Montanas. I sold the .338 Federal, which looking back, is one of the dumbest things I've ever done. That was a great little rifle!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Blue,

Happy to hear you’re going to stretch your legs and go chase some bear! One of the most fun big game animals to hunt IMHO.

Some really good advise here if you sift through the posts. I’m sure you could pick out the top three posters, and when you do, you’ll have 99% of the info needed.

Most bear kills I’ve had or been around have been off baits so our rule was to try to break a front shoulder/upper leg in addition to taking out vitals. Open hillsides not such a big deal. Consider bullet type, caliber/chambering to the expected distance. Thinner skinned bullets at high velocity can “blow up” for lack of better vocabulary at short distances....about the only thing I didn’t see stressed in previous posts. I’ve been a fan of monos, but have used other types and thete are many good ones.

Good luck!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stay behind the shoulder and any deer bullet will work fine. Although blood trailing is harder due to fat and fur, black bears do not go as far as whitetails when shot through the boiler room.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shot one in Maine last year with my .35 Marlin. 150 gr corloks. He went 30 yards. Quartering toward me. Put the bullet between the neck and shoulder. Traveled through 3’ of bear and was lodged Under the skin in the ribs. 488 lbs if I remember correctly
Shot another in NY a few years back that dressed 348. 7-08 with 140 gr fusions. Went 20 yards. Pick what shoots good and make sure you hit it in the right spot. Good luck in your hunt.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For the 270 I would go 150 Partitions and R26. The 7mm I would do the same or 160s with a medium burn rate powder I would give R16 and 23 a try.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
W
Those Barnes lead free solid copper rounds look pretty good, I think they call them ttsx? Kinda spends and hard to find but if you don’t reload might be worth it. I plan on using those in my .30-06 for deer and bear.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm hoping to draw a Michigan tag next fall. While the weather is bad this winter I've been loading up some 30-06 with 180 grain Woodleighs. They may be a little overkill for black bear but I trust them and had a box on the shelf.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Trophy bonded Bear Claw would be good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Having dealt with many, many black bears a couple things are obvious fantasies:
Bear bone (black, Brown, or grizzly) is very light weight and relatively soft. It is tough and flexible, neither of which means anything to a bullet.

Bear hide is nothing like as thick, hard, or tough as many other critters and it is the antithesis of armor-plated.

Bear hair is thick and deep, making lighter bullets start opening a bit soon (star-shaped x bullet entry wounds) and I have found a number of bullets caught in off-side hair. Hair does soak up a lot of blood.

Heart shot bears sometimes cover a lot of ground.

Having never seen an Accu-bomb exit, and believing strongly in the value of an exit... I much prefer monos.

Going to add another to a list of very good points/observations...…….

Bear FAT...…..especially in agricultural areas...…...can be 6" - 8" thick in the late fall. It takes a GOODLY hole, or better yet PAIR of holes to get blood TO the hair, let alone THROUGH the hair.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've used 150gr coreloks out of a 270win with no issues.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used a .270 with a 150 gr Partition on the only Black Bear I've taken with a rifle. The vitals are a little lower and further forward than on a deer. A shot in the upper third of a bears chest could miss the lungs and hit the leg or shoulder bone.

Attached Images
BBK.jpg (12.4 KB, 41 downloads)
Last edited by Bill_N; 02/27/19.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks to our traplines we can kill as many bears as we want. I have never found bears to be anything other than easy to kill. A fast opening, relatively soft bullet through the shoulders will flatten them and keep them there. One that I've used a lot is the dreaded Berger, mostly 180 7 mms. Ballistic tips, Accubonds and most any deer-centric cup and core is fine. If you want to go look for one, by all means use a mono. They are great for anything that you want to die somewhere else.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha, I've not read all the threads but folks suggesting premium bullets made me laugh. Bears are much softer then deer, I'm going to use a #46 longbow and wooden arrows this spring, my buddies wife shoots them with a mid-30 pound bow at her 25" draw recurve and has killed a couple truck loads of them. Accurate gun and whatever shoots decent it in will work fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Haha, I've not read all the threads but folks suggesting premium bullets made me laugh. Bears are much softer then deer, I'm going to use a #46 longbow and wooden arrows this spring, my buddies wife shoots them with a mid-30 pound bow at her 25" draw recurve and has killed a couple truck loads of them. Accurate gun and whatever shoots decent it in will work fine.

Killing them is one thing, finding them another. Having seen the difference between the old days of cup and core and today's bullets I will not shoot them with a bullet that I do not trust to exit. But I am often in extremely thick cover. Give me an 80 grain mono in 25 caliber anyday over a Core-Lokt of any description...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.