Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let me go make a sandwich

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Assimilation to Natives + Lack of Education + Lack of Exposure + Inbreeding = THAT

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord

This time at night, that will make ya fat....

or contribute to you already being fat.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slumlord

Be sure to phone a friend.

If you can afford one.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Salty303
Thanks for the post I enjoyed that. I hear some similarity there with people from small isolated towns in Newfoundland, used to be quite a community of them where I grew up. Makes sense both groups mainly came from Ireland mainly two or three centuries ago.

My routes are from Virginia and West Va... right on the state line. I'm 17th generation in the US.

When I get around another southerner, or If I don't think about it.... by wife and son, say I immediately am talking like I'm back home. My son said my accent changed as soon as I crossed the Virginia state line. He was looking at me and said, who in the hell are you and what did you do with my dad?

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Maritimes in Canada, both there and in far Northern Maine, you can still hear the common thread or roots in both to the western part of VA or West Va. It was settled primarily by English, Scottish and Irish.. A lot of the home cooked food in rural Canada is exactly like we ate growing up. It has to do with the same common roots.

The mountains didn't have a lot of influx of other nationalities, to bring accents that would influence changes.
I use to be able to tell ya what state someone was from down south, by the way they said certain words.
Flat land people had influence in their language from black slaves, which the mountain folks didn't.

you can also travel to different places in Appalachia that are not too far apart, but they have had different influence to the way they Talk. There can be big differences in speech from southern WVa and SW Va., versus NE Tennessee and then from Eastern Kentucky, to western North Carolina.

VA mountain folks have a strong influence from Scottish and Irish. When I lived in England and traveled up to Scotland and to Ireland, I felt right at home.. like it was the homeland... Especially Scotland the speech patterns were pretty much the same.. to include certain sayings people had.. Yet noticed the same in Northern Maine, which is isolated by miles of woods from the south and surrounded by the French, to the north, and east in Canada.

In the Video, what they called a boomer... from our locale, that is called a FairyDiddle instead.
I grew up with you put a Lawg on the Far,,,, and you changed a Flat Tar, with a Tar Arn. A lot of that is disappearing nowadays tho. Accents are fading away, which is sad in my book.

When in college, I had a GF from Metro Boston, who had a harsh Boston Accent. I took her down to West VA with me several times.. Between her and my relatives, I pretty much was translating two different languages back and forth... because they could not understand each other. Yet it was funny watching them write down certain words, wanting the other to pronounce it, and then laughing. My GF and Relatives really enjoyed doing that for each other.

My first wife from MN, in our travels to New England, we had a break down in eastern Maine... the two guys that came out in the tow truck talking to each other... my wife, asked me were we still in Canada.. she thought they were speaking French, like in Quebec.

We were at Disneyland with the kids, once and this lady comes up to ask me If I knew where something was.... she was Jewish and had a real thick NY Jewish accent....I told her how to get where she was going, and then when she left, my wife immediately asks me... I didn't know you spoke Spanish.. I told her I didn't.. she didn't believe me... to her, the NY Jewish Lady sounded exactly like Puerto Ricans and Cubans to her.
She thought I was messing with her when I said I didn't speak Spanish..... then I finally told her, I didn't answer her in Spanish did I? She said No, so I told her the NY Jewish lady understood me just fine in English.

In college I use to study different accents from around the country, based on the people who settled there.
and other outside influences. Georgia for instance, I hear a lot of Black slave in their accent... yet north Georgia you didn't... no slave or plantations around there. Same in Eastern, vs Western N.C., or East Tenn vs West Tenn. Heck I use to be able to tell the difference between North Carolina and South Carolina.

Fun stuff, but I'm a Mountain VA boy when I'm around southern accents. If I don't think about it, I go right back into it.... I naturally do not say BEfore... I'll say A'fer....or I'd better be A'Goin.....that is the old Scottish influence... and everything is "Down the road apiece...." That could mean a mile or 100 miles....

There you go!

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sounds like the folks we call Kentucks up here.They migrated here from Kentucky during the depression.Half the folks up here sound like that.

Also sounds like what the rest of the world refers to as "Wisconsin like."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Assimilation to Natives + Lack of Education + Lack of Exposure + Inbreeding = THAT

heck Trav... my first and second wife are both from MN... of there Aunts and Uncles....
Most of them were taught English at school, staring from the 4th or 5th Grade...

back in the 20s and 30s, MN still had elementary schools that were taught in German...

ya get out into the Dakotas, and look at the headstones in Grave yards, a lot of them
have more inscriptions in German, Swedish and Norwegian than in English...

Saw a lot of headstones in Rural Missouri in German, more than English....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can understand everyone from the Dakotas and MN.

The south doesn't speak english. They speak dumb fugk.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Welcome to another episode of "Why Everybody Hates Yankees",....with your host, deflave.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That milk he's been a-drinkin musta gone chunky. That'll sour up anybody.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve got a buddy from southwest of Pittsburgh. We’ve known each other for 20 years and I don’t know what he’s saying. We were hunting in Alabama and the locals referred to him as “the guy from Australia.”

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thither wast this one fella who hadst brother, those gents wast from North Carolina. Anyhow thee could not understandeth a word his brother hath said. Sounded like boomhauer from king of the hill.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by persiandog
it is easy ( easier ) to learn english in the US no matter where you are because they all speak in a rhythmic way , their lips move , so you can hear and visually see it , as compare to how british speak.
my opinion not sure how other people feel.

Dunno, but I spent three of my formative years in Maryland mountains on the Mason-Dixon line. Don't remember anyone talking funny except old Mr. Limebaugh the school bus driver and that's because if he spoke to you, you figured that pretty much your ass was in trouble.

But when I play that clip I don't hear anyone talking funny. Took me way too long to figure out why Moonshiners has subtitles.

Went to a progressive (for the time) school that started French in third grade. The goal was to give the kids the ability to form and understand French word sounds not found in English while the brain is still pliable. Add in my mother's parents thick Slavic accent. Maybe there's something to it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When my 1st wife & I lived & went to college in South LA & lived in Jefferson Parish, I used to smile when some "way up the bayou fellow" (instead of saying "This is my car") they said, "This car here belongs to be mine."
(I was curious & asked an English professor from the University of New Orleans where that "usuage" came from & she said, "That is a straight literal translation from pre-18th Century FRANKISH to English. It's what is called a 'double positive' that emphasizes 'ownership' or possession". - Frankish is the old manner of speaking that became modern French.)

yours, tex

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Tex, how many damn schools did you go to? Did you ever get a degree? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe this link will help you understand:

https://www.dailyyonder.com/mountain-talk/2010/07/19/2837/

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by persiandog
it is easy ( easier ) to learn english in the US no matter where you are because they all speak in a rhythmic way , their lips move , so you can hear and visually see it , as compare to how british speak.
my opinion not sure how other people feel.

Dunno, but I spent three of my formative years in Maryland mountains on the Mason-Dixon line. Don't remember anyone talking funny except old Mr. Limebaugh the school bus driver and that's because if he spoke to you, you figured that pretty much your ass was in trouble.

But when I play that clip I don't hear anyone talking funny. Took me way too long to figure out why Moonshiners has subtitles.

Went to a progressive (for the time) school that started French in third grade. The goal was to give the kids the ability to form and understand French word sounds not found in English while the brain is still pliable. Add in my mother's parents thick Slavic accent. Maybe there's something to it.

both me and my Dad had interest in other languages . he spoke russian , armenian and turkish ( just daily conversation ).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave

I hope you get to move to DC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its funny, the Appalachian thing sounds Southern to most of the country.
As a long haul truck driver, I was often thought to be a southerner.

And the farther north or west I went, the more southern they thought I was.
In Montreal, I was accused of being from Atlanta.

It's something that's dying fast, unless you find those who put on a show.
People move so much, and television plays a role. Traveling, I often found
many people in southern cities had little noticeable accent. In the rural areas,
It's holding on.

I've mostly lost mine. But my family laughs at me when I talk to someone who hasn't.
It takes about 2 minutes, bed it's back.

Same with my Masshole mother-in-law. She has lived here for 45 years. Knowing her background,
I only hear it once in a while. Let her even start talking about childhood, and it comes rageing back.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad spoke Russian and French, Mom Croatian, language spoken at her parents home. I picked up a little of each as well as Spanish, Latin and a very tiny bit of German. All gone since I never had a use for it. Except for some choice Croatian cuss words, somehow they stuck. Make good passwords.

Some day would like to really learn French, love the sound. Had my Brittany answering to commands in French. But then my very first crush was Françoise, the wife of an Army Captain Murray whom he met in France.

Which explains a lot.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257 mag, badwolf, 35, BABore, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.