Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am only referring to WRA made XTR "New" Featherweights. It appears they were made in 1981, not before. Of course the XTR came out sometime in the 1970's, but not in Featherweight or at least "new Featherweight". The only difference between WRA and USRA models is markings and that includes recoil pads. The models continued but under a licensing name deal. I have already seen about 4 sources giving different end dates for WRA manufacture. They are all in the G15xxxxx range though. Heck Winchester themselves told me mine was an uncatalogged 1980 model for heaven sake. I took them at there word. I always call the manufacturer on used guns for DOM for my records.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I am only referring to WRA made XTR "New" Featherweights. It appears they were made in 1981, not before. Of course the XTR came out sometime in the 1970's, but not in Featherweight or at least "new Featherweight". The only difference between WRA and USRA models is markings and that includes recoil pads. The models continued but under a licensing name deal. I have already seen about 4 sources giving different end dates for WRA manufacture. They are all in the G15xxxxx range though. Heck Winchester themselves told me mine was an uncatalogged 1980 model for heaven sake. I took them at there word. I always call the manufacturer on used guns for DOM for my records.
Talk is cheap. Winchester isn't going to put what you think they told you on official letterhead. I clearly remember when the XTR Featherweight was introduced, the whole Olin divestment saga, the formation of USRA, and so on and so forth. It's very possible that Winchester began manufacturing the XTR Featherweight at the tail end of '80 so that they could begin shipping them after the S.H.O.T. Show announcement in 1981. (The same event Joyce Hornady died while traveling to attend, for some other period trivia.)

Every time this is brought up, the same two yahoos respond and one of them throws a big bitch fit right on cue.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Beautiful wood, very nice rifle, love the Roberts round, but that's a truly horsechit trigger... Whoever had it before and put that trigger on it should be flogged in public until there's no skin left.... smile

Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
It's very possible that Winchester began manufacturing the XTR Featherweight at the tail end of '80 so that they could begin shipping them after the S.H.O.T. Show announcement in 1981..
That matches my recollection as well.. Definitely early '80s production..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
According the SN Winchester has available, my daughters xtr featherweight was made in 1980 last model 70 made in 1979 ended with sn 144700 last model 70 made in 1980 ended with SN 1490709. Im not trying to get into a pissing match with bricktop uh I mean Jackietreehorn. But I have seen this repeated before the xtr featherweights were not made until 1981. When in fact I have one according to sn was made in 1980.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Your database is incorrect.

So you have the correct data base? If the one I referenced is wrong?

Last edited by 79S; 02/18/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Talk is cheap. Winchester isn't going to put what you think they told you on official letterhead. I clearly remember when the XTR Featherweight was introduced, the whole Olin divestment saga, the formation of USRA, and so on and so forth. It's very possible that Winchester began manufacturing the XTR Featherweight at the tail end of '80 so that they could begin shipping them after the S.H.O.T. Show announcement in 1981. (The same event Joyce Hornady died while traveling to attend, for some other period trivia.)

Every time this is brought up, the same two yahoos respond and one of them throws a big bitch fit right on cue.

Don't forget about the 3rd yahoo Jackietreehorn from Malibu, every time this is brought up you chime in saying the same thing.. but you never provide sn or dates.. You just mention 1981..

Last edited by 79S; 02/18/19.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
According the SN Winchester has available, my daughters xtr featherweight was made in 1980 last model 70 made in 1979 ended with sn 144700 last model 70 made in 1980 ended with SN 1490709. Im not trying to get into a pissing match with bricktop uh I mean Jackietreehorn. But I have seen this repeated before the xtr featherweights were not made until 1981. When in fact I have one according to sn was made in 1980.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yep, yours is incorrect. If you can produce a Winchester letter stating otherwise, then pony up with it. Having been present in 1981 and earlier I can state with a HIGH level of confidence that the Model 70 Featherweight XTR didn't show up until early 1981. As for "sources," I believe the Rule Book states the G-prefix didn't show up until 1971, yet everyone seems to be more than eager to cite that as a source for all things Model 70.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yep, yours is incorrect. If you can produce a Winchester letter stating otherwise, then pony up with it. Having been present in 1981 and earlier I can state with a HIGH level of confidence that the Model 70 Featherweight XTR didn't show up until early 1981. As for "sources," I believe the Rule Book states the G-prefix didn't show up until 1971, yet everyone seems to be more than eager to cite that as a source for all things Model 70.

For years I used the pdf that was available from winchester, which has seemed to dissapered off there website The nra website has the same list of sn and dom.. that's where I reference from now. I do know there is another source but everyone knows that source for sn is bad data. So who has the correct dom for sn? I guess one could call winchester and ask. Or go through the Cody museum.. so do you think or is it possible these were made in late 1980 and sat in the warehouse until late 1980 or early 1981 then shipped?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made late '80 - early '81. Nobody will ever be able to put the exact date on it. Very last of the WRA rifles. Beautiful. Put an original trigger back on it and enjoy!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
so do you think or is it possible these were made in late 1980 and sat in the warehouse until late 1980 or early 1981 then shipped?
As stated earlier, this was Winchester's mack daddy new rifle for 1981. It's very likely they began producing and assembling these in the last few months of 1980 so that they could begin shipping them to dealers in January 1981. Winchester and other manufacturers do this for new product roll outs fairly regularly.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Are original triggers for these hard to come by?

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That is a BEAUTIFUL rifle! What scope are you planning on putting on it?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
so do you think or is it possible these were made in late 1980 and sat in the warehouse until late 1980 or early 1981 then shipped?
As stated earlier, this was Winchester's mack daddy new rifle for 1981. It's very likely they began producing and assembling these in the last few months of 1980 so that they could begin shipping them to dealers in January 1981. Winchester and other manufacturers do this for new product roll outs fairly regularly.

[Linked Image]

Holy smokes is that yours? Now that’s a neat find.. that’s when guns and ammo was worth reading..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Holy smokes is that yours? Now that’s a neat find.. that’s when guns and ammo was worth reading..
Not mine, but I have a copy somewhere in my attic along with the Winchester catalog for that year.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Talley lightweight lows and some form of 2.5-8, 3-9, 3.5-10, 2-12 etc. I haven’t quite got that ironed out just yet!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Talley lightweight lows and some form of 2.5-8, 3-9, 3.5-10, 2-12 etc. I haven’t quite got that ironed out just yet!

I like your 2.5-8x36 idea, but I'd be more inclined to throw a set of DD's on there. Here's how I had my 7mm08 classic set up:
[Linked Image]

Gloss rings and bases look much better than the square matte talley's.. IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have matte dual dovetails, but I’d like to find a gloss scope to put on it. I’ve got a kahles 3-9x40 I was leaning towards putting on it, and if I go that route, I’ll probably just go with the matte rings as well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My son has a featherweight in 257 Roberts that I bought for him about 15 years ago. Came with the original stock and a cheap ramline stock that had been cut down for a youth. He still hunts deer with that gun. The one thing about those rifles were the stocks are gorgeous. My son never let me put the original stock back on because he liked the way the youth stock fit him with hunting cloths on. So the original stock sits in my safe.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is a beauty! I wanted a 257R when I ordered mine, it was not available so 6.5X55 it was. 2004 or 05, can't remember, right before the New Haven plant closed. Mine wears a 2.5-8 VX3. I am not sure how to post pictures, or else I'd show you all. The wood isn't as pretty as this 257 though!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (01Foreman400, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,876
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.