Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mp44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
using a 40mm objective? Does anyone know? I ordered a 457 Lux in 17hmr and will not have it until later in the week at the earliest and would like to have the rings here when it arrives.

I had a 452 in the past and it was the bolt throw that determined the ring height, not the objective dia. I had to mount the scope higher than I liked. I used standard height BKLs and while those are referred to as mediums height, they are much higher than "normal" medium and low rings from other companies.

ETA: I have read that the 457 has a much lower bolt arc than the 452 & 455.

Last edited by mp44; 02/18/19.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mp44
using a 40mm objective? Does anyone know? I ordered a 457 Lux in 17hmr and will not have it until later in the week at the earliest and would like to have the rings here when it arrives.

I had a 452 in the past and it was the bolt throw that determined the ring height, not the objective dia. I had to mount the scope higher than I liked. I used standard height BKLs and while those are referred to as mediums height, they are much higher than "normal" medium and low rings from other companies.

Over 40 years of rimfire shooting and trying to get the best cheek weld on various lower combed stocks, I have taken note of this nearly every time I mount a scope to a rifle.

You need to STICK TO GROOVED RIMFIRE MOUNTS. The MINUTE you use a sub base you automatically added 1/8" + to the mounting height. Unless you intend on going into combat with your rimfire grooved mounts ,properly installed are plenty strong enough.

Of all the currently available 1" rimfire rings made, I believe the standard Burris rings are about the lowest.
The height from the bottom of the ring to the center of the scope is about .770 or so over the reciever which will be about a full .50" lower than the the BKLs. They are US made in both Aluminum and steel and cist $25 to $35 online.

One other advantage of the Burris is that the groove clamps can be reversed to better fit various groove styles although they seem to fit my CZs fine right out of the box.

Being so low, you WILL need to pay attention to how large your scope's objective bell diameter is. I would think you would be good up to about a 2" diameter bell with a sporter diameter barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jk16

Over 40 years of rimfire shooting and trying to get the best cheek weld on various lower combed stocks, I have taken note of this nearly every time I mount a scope to a rifle.

You need to STICK TO GROOVED RIMFIRE MOUNTS. The MINUTE you use a sub base you automatically added 1/8" + to the mounting height. Unless you intend on going into combat with your rimfire grooved mounts ,properly installed are plenty strong enough.

Of all the currently available 1" rimfire rings made, I believe the standard Burris rings are about the lowest.
The height from the bottom of the ring to the center of the scope is about .770 or so over the reciever which will be about a full .50" lower than the the BKLs. They are US made in both Aluminum and steel and cist $25 to $35 online.

One other advantage of the Burris is that the groove clamps can be reversed to better fit various groove styles although they seem to fit my CZs fine right out of the box.

Being so low, you WILL need to pay attention to how large your scope's objective bell diameter is. I would think you would be good up to about a 2" diameter bell with a sporter diameter barrel.

Jeezus Khrist,that's the most amount of fhuqking STUPID,I've seen in some time.

Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Wow +P+!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by jk16

Jeezus Khrist,that's the most amount of fhuqking STUPID,I've seen in some time.

Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Wow +P+!................

READ THE OP's post again...

He wants A LOW MOUNTED SCOPE- not a "long range" rig like you promote here .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'16,

I'm slowwwww to condone outright fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Ring spacing is your scope's BEST friend. Now you "know" too.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Cheap Weaver rimfire rings are pretty low on the CZ rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by driftless

clueless,

I'm slowwwww to condone outright fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Ring spacing is your scope's BEST friend. Now you "know" too.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.............

mp44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by driftless

I want the lowest possible rings that work to accommodate the type of stock on the Lux. I could have purchased the American and not had to worry so much about scope height and the American was also less expensive but I liked the way the Lux looked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think "mechanics",first,second and last.

Hint.................

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Weaver rings are just as low as the Burris medium and Warne rimfire mounts. Have not used but Leupold has A low ring that will work on CZ.

IC B3

mp44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I ended up using Millett lows to mount an old Burris mini 6X on my 455 Lux. The ocular bell of that small scope JUST clears the bolt handle, and the scope sits low enough for me to use. It was a very near thing - I don't know what other scope I might have used for that particular rifle.

In my case I needed very low rings because the hogback style comb is very low (great for the sights though).
It would be different if I had an American or a varmint. Much different if ihad been something target or tactical with a high comb. You can run almost anything on those.

I'm a big believer in having a consistent cheek weld that puts you in line with the sight, and I choose rings by how they line up with my eye when I'm down on the stock.
That then determines what size scope I'm going to mount. The only other option to me is building up the comb, not lifting my head off it.

Unless you have a Trainer, a Lux, a full stock or some similar version with a hogback stock youll probably find that the rings that line up for you will also allow the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell. Though a scope with a very large ocular bell may still interfere with the bolt.

FYI, the 457s do in fact have less bolt lift. They will be easier to fit a scope to.

I know that plenty of guys pick out a big scope, get rings tall enough to fit the front bell and go from there.
If you take that approach you should have a comb high enough to work for you, however you get it there.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.