Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Like saying crick, for creek.

I'm a "crick" person. My mother's kin are from PA, so that's probably where I picked it up.

KYHillChick's kin all say "creek." They all hail from the KY/TN border, and originally came from VA and NC.

Don't know that I have ever heard anyone in the Southern Appalachians pronounce it "crick" .

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by deflave
I can understand everyone from the Dakotas and MN.The south doesn't speak english. They speak dumb fugk.
? Didn't you voluntarily move to the South?

You consider Miami to be the south?

I wouldn't, I think of it more as the outskirts of northern Havana...

There's some truth in that. That, and NY with palm trees.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Tex, how many damn schools did you go to? Did you ever get a degree? laugh

websterparish47,

YEP. I finished my BA & my Master's degree but NOT the PhD that I worked on for several years. - I finally "gave up" on finishing the doctorate because I kept being sent on long TDY assignments all over the Globe.
(Believe it or not, FIVE semesters in a row I paid tuition & attended classes but was unable to complete the course work due to being ordered out of State on a 90+ day period of TDY. = Civilian schools do NOT either understand nor care that your military requirements take FIRST priority over their academic requirements.)

Because of being on AD with the Army & being moved around on numerous PCS, I took courses at (some ON & some OFF campus):
1. Oklahoma University
2. University of Arkansas
3. North TX State (Now: The University of North Texas)
4. Oklahoma Baptist University
5. LSU
6. Tulane
7. Auburn
8. Texas A&M
9. Michigan State
10. University of South Carolina
(and likely some other colleges that I cannot remember off-hand, without getting out my transcript & reading it carefully.)

When I had my undergraduate & graduate transcript "audited" for "degree completion" by one grad school advisor, the prof said, "It looks like you can't decide where you want to attend college."
(I suspect that to any civilian that my transcripts look like a "500-piece puzzle". = That's WHY I favor the Armed Forces establishing an accredited GRAD SCHOOL that grants masters degrees & earned doctorates.)

As the military mission comes FIRST before any military member finishing a graduate course of study, the military services either need to STOP telling college graduates to go get a graduate degree OR "stabilize" the member until they can complete their course of study.

Note: Generally, barring a MAJOR war, all of the military services will "stabilize" undergraduate students until they can complete their AS, AA, BA or BS but none of the armed services will "stabilize" graduate students until they can complete their graduate degree course-work.

just my OPINIONS, tex

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Sounds a lot like my East Tennessee relatives.

Yep, when we moved to Sevierville in the 70's, that's what my yankee (Maryland) @$$ had to learn (larn?), and right quick. There was not a word they covered that I had not heard and used growing up. Well, except "boomer" and "gaumed", those were new...

I want to move back there, someday.

You better hurry, Dolly is bulldozing all the trailer parks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DarlaG

.....hand, without getting out my transcript & reading it carefully.)

you are ok , as long as you are not a civil engineer.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm a "crick" person. My mother's kin are from PA, so that's probably where I picked it up.

KYHillChick's kin all say "creek." They all hail from the KY/TN border, and originally came from VA and NC.

We say crick here in PNW, too. Has a colleague from Cambridge Ma. and he'd get all pinchy faced when I used the vernacular.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Welcome to another episode of "Why Everybody Hates Yankees",....with your host, deflave.

Some people like to be surrounded by people that talk and look just like them is all some even feel superior in their little enclaves. That's a lot of mashed potatoes without the gravy for most of us but whatever floats your boat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You hear when you're old. Who cares what they sound like?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The old school Appalachian dialect is still around. But in most places it's been softened to a great extent.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My late child and teen years were in Virginia (Culpeper). One could easily ID anyone from the surrounding communities within seconds or their first words with separations only on the order of 20 to 30 miles.

Can't do that here in S.E. Oregon.

DarlaG: I would hate to pay for your official transcripts for a job application.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/18/19.

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope, I call a creek a creek, never called it a crick. I call a hollow a holler. I even heard people say I am going to hope those people, instead of saying help those people.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

Don't know that I have ever heard anyone in the Southern Appalachians pronounce it "crick" .

How bout a crick in your back? That's a back woods saying for a sore back I've heard many places.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Creeks are for snooty folk.
Say th at around here, and we know you ain't from around here.

As for a screwed up neck, if I can't say "I have a crick in my neck",
I honestly don't know how to express it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
persiandog,

NOPE. - I'm just a retired soldier & peace officer.

yours, tex

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have a couple friends from WV and sc PA. When they speak they speak with what sounds like an English accent. ou ends up sounding more like a long o sound. The cadence of their speech is distinctive too. Seems like maybe the way they end their sentences is distinctive also.

Montana MOFO
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The old school Appalachian dialect is still around. But in most places it's been softened to a great extent.

What you saw in that video is still very prevalent in western N.C. The transients haven’t yet taken over completely.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.