Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice thread, makes me want to get a S&W 357, for the guys in the know, what model would run period correct with a S&W model of 1955 45 ACP/Auto Rim? it's a five screw 6" blue revolver with target hammer and trigger.

I'd buy the original .357 Magnum, possibly with a model number if I'm slumming. There is a bit of overlap with the Combat Magnum if K-frames are more your thing, though.

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm surprised at how many like the N-Frame .357 Magnums. Seems kind of overbuilt for the cartridge. I sold my 28 years ago. Makes little sense in light of the L and K frames chambered in it.

this actually makes sense!

Having two 3" J's, two 3" K's, 4" GP100 and a 4" Colt Trooper in addition to the 6.5" 27, try firing two boxes, as in 100 rounds, of real .357s through a J-K-L frame size gun and you'll appreciate the extra weight of the N-frame....

95% of the ammo that goes through a .357 are .38 Special or downloaded .357 handloads... Shooting full loads through the 27 is pleasant compare to the others...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are the newer 686s bad compared to the older smith's?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Bad in what way? To hear some talk the 686 is the crème de la crème of 357's although the GP100 and Blackhawk certainly match it step for step.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1. 5" Model 27
2. 3" Model 66
3. 4" Model 686

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm surprised at how many like the N-Frame .357 Magnums. Seems kind of overbuilt for the cartridge. I sold my 28 years ago. Makes little sense in light of the L and K frames chambered in it.

this actually makes sense!

Having two 3" J's, two 3" K's, 4" GP100 and a 4" Colt Trooper in addition to the 6.5" 27, try firing two boxes, as in 100 rounds, of real .357s through a J-K-L frame size gun and you'll appreciate the extra weight of the N-frame....

95% of the ammo that goes through a .357 are .38 Special or downloaded .357 handloads... Shooting full loads through the 27 is pleasant compare to the others...

Bob
Absolutely true. I remember shooting the hottest .357 Magnum loads through my 28 and it feeling like target wadcutters. That would be the only justification I can think of for owning one.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Nice thread, makes me want to get a S&W 357, for the guys in the know, what model would run period correct with a S&W model of 1955 45 ACP/Auto Rim? it's a five screw 6" blue revolver with target hammer and trigger.
The only 357 Smith made during that time period, that I'm aware of, was the N frame model 27. I don't remember what year the model 28 came out, but it's simply a more spartan version of same anyway. A 5" model 27 was always one of Skeeter's favorites. Do you have his book, Good Friends, Good Guns Good Whiskey? If not, I highly recommend it. I very much enjoyed Skeeter's stories. No offense to old Elmer, but much more so than his. My second choice for that era would be a 3 1/2" "FBI type" model, like the early agents carried. I've never been fortunate enough to own either barrel length. My personal model 27's that I can remember, were 6 and 8 3/8" barrels.

I trimmed the stable a few years back and got rid of my model 19 and GP 100's. Now the only 357's that I remember having are a model 28 in near new condition, that I inherited and my wife's Colt Magnum Carry (a Detective Special in 357 that Colt only made for a short time before one of the times they went under). I traded her 38 Special Detective Special on it so she'd have more versatility. It is wicked with 357's though.

I guess they used to convert model 20's (the 38-44 Heavy Duty) to 357, but I've heard they were not of the same steel as the model 27 and that this was not a good practice. I have no idea of the truth to this statement.

Thanks for the info EE and trplem, before you guys posted to my inquiry I got on Gunbroker and Gunsinternational and began looking around, I suppose the N frames are stronger then the K frames? plus, I called and old friend to discuss, he said he has a 586 no dash whatever that means, that he 'may' sell me. smile

I think a clean old N frame will be a better running mate for my 1955 45 acp.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Which is your favorite? Smooth accurate and classy..... Old or new

I have 8 S&W 357s; a 4" 19, a 3.5" 27, a 5" 27, a 3" 66, a 4" 66, a 5" 66, a 4" 520, and a 4" 620.

You can't beat the cool factor of the 27's, but I carry the 620 more often 'cause it doesn't require constant attention, plus they are smoother than the 19/66 and equally as smooth as the 27s.

I don't understand why the 27's with 3.5" barrels bring so much more $$ than those with 4" barrels.

The 5" 66 is a 6" that I had Ahlman's shorten by 1".

EDIT: I am a Skeeter Skelton fan, so the 5" S&W N-frames attracted me. I had Ahlman's shorten the barrels on two different 624s to 5" as a companion to my 5" 27.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/19/19. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 586 is a good gun, just like the 686 only in carbon blued steel rather than stainless. Some prefer the look of blued whereas I always prefer stainless as I think it is superior, at least in anywhere near modern stainless guns-with the exception of copies of historical guns. The no-dash means there is no dash after the model designation. A dash followed by a number will indicate later runs of guns with changes to them-sometimes inconsequential, other times of significance. IIRC the early L frames had some bugs to work out, but I can't remember what they were. Many of these no dash guns were sent back and fixed. Smith usually designates that also by stamping the gun.

The N frames are stronger than K or L frames by way of mass. They are simply bigger guns and thus stronger. The N frame predates the K frame in 357 Magnum. Bill Jordan called for a K frame in 357 and is thought to be the father of the model 19-which is strange since Jordan was huge. It was thought that the time was right for a smaller 357 since by then the steel was better than a turn-of-the-century Hand Ejector say, which turned into the model 10. By the time the L frame came out, the N's were thought to be overkill for the 357, hence the emphasis nowadays on putting more holes in the cylinder of new iterations of 27's and L frames.

The L frame was brought out specifically to compete with the Python, which is one reason they have the underlug, mimicking the Colt gun. They are said to be a .41 caliber frame, which is enough mass for the hot 357 cartridge. For many years Smith bracketed the Python, et al with a .44 caiber N frame and a .38 caliber K frame. Now Smith even makes tiny J frame 357's. Colt beat them to that with the Detective Special.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The newer ones are probably the equivalent. It depends on whether you think MIM is inferior and whether you can co-exist with the keylock commony called the Hillary Hole that Smith got saddled with due to some lawsuit back during the Clinton era. Many guys HATE the keylock and some hate MIM parts. I personally like the look of the older guns better. I especially like the look of a square butt gun better unless you need extra concealment from your weapon.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE, Thanks, I'm headed to a local gunshop to pick up a couple 300 count buckets of CCI mini mag 36gr hp's, on sale for 22 bucks a bucket out the door, i'll look around at the Smith revolvers and see what they have, I've got my old 1955 45 acp here studying it, guess if I see anything S&W 357 with 4 or 5 screws in it at a good price I better grab it.

Trump Won!
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

Bad in what way? To hear some talk the 686 is the crème de la crème of 357's although the GP100 and Blackhawk certainly match it step for step.

What I mean is not in the same class as far as smoothness accuracy overall quality. Some of the old-timers talk it's like only the old Smiths are worth anything and if it has a lock on it forget it it's garbage

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
The lock can be eliminated too, if that bothers you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What I mean is not in the same class as far as smoothness accuracy overall quality. Some of the old-timers talk it's like only the old Smiths are worth anything and if it has a lock on it forget it it's garbage
See my post a few posts back. The advent of MIM corresponds roughly to the lock guns and many don't like MIM. I think the new guns are plenty good but prefer the look of the old guns. By the time you get done modifying new ones to look like the old ones, you might as well have paid extra for an older model.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
makes sense......

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No contest, nothing else really close...................4", L-frame, 686.

MM

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE, Thanks, I'm headed to a local gunshop to pick up a couple 300 count buckets of CCI mini mag 36gr hp's, on sale for 22 bucks a bucket out the door, i'll look around at the Smith revolvers and see what they have, I've got my old 1955 45 acp here studying it, guess if I see anything S&W 357 with 4 or 5 screws in it at a good price I better grab it.

BWAHAHAHA, back from the gunshop, no S&W's in 357, gunshop Bud said here's what you need, and pulled out some kind of funny looking little Colt SF 1 something or another in 38 Special, rubber grips, bobbed hammer with no sights and a two inch barrel. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The only 357 Smith made during that time period, that I'm aware of, was the N frame model 27. I don't remember what year the model 28 came out, but it's simply a more spartan version of same anyway. A 5" model 27 was always one of Skeeter's favorites. Do you have his book, Good Friends, Good Guns Good Whiskey? If not, I highly recommend it. I very much enjoyed Skeeter's stories. No offense to old Elmer, but much more so than his. My second choice for that era would be a 3 1/2" "FBI type" model, like the early agents carried. I've never been fortunate enough to own either barrel length. My personal model 27's that I can remember, were 6 and 8 3/8" barrels.

I trimmed the stable a few years back and got rid of my model 19 and GP 100's. Now the only 357's that I remember having are a model 28 in near new condition, that I inherited and my wife's Colt Magnum Carry (a Detective Special in 357 that Colt only made for a short time before one of the times they went under). I traded her 38 Special Detective Special on it so she'd have more versatility. It is wicked with 357's though.

I guess they used to convert model 20's (the 38-44 Heavy Duty) to 357, but I've heard they were not of the same steel as the model 27 and that this was not a good practice. I have no idea of the truth to this statement.

Thanks for the info EE and trplem, before you guys posted to my inquiry I got on Gunbroker and Gunsinternational and began looking around, I suppose the N frames are stronger then the K frames? plus, I called and old friend to discuss, he said he has a 586 no dash whatever that means, that he 'may' sell me. smile

Everything is stronger than K frames......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If you can buy a 586 I would pursue that.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If I wanted a modern .357 in an L-frame sized gun I'd go Ruger.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.