Hop To
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would like to see you paddle out at Waimea Bay. Or race a guy for priority. For that matter even be able to stay in position at Haleiwa.

Have you ever taken a pounding from an overhead or double overhead wave? Ever been slammed into a coral reef? I haven't even begun to talk about the actual act of surfing yet.

Further more every sport is judged one way or another.

But those that don't know, just don't know!

I would be willing to bet you couldn't even get up on a short board on a two foot wave, Backside measurement so roughly 4 to 5 foot face.

I would like to see him throw a 200# pack on his back and jog a mile. Or run as fast as I did in college for a few miles. Both things few can do. I have absolutely no experience surfing and freely admit it.

This is comical. Your imagination is wild.

Kelly can run, and he runs underwater with a rock.

But what does that have to do with his records? Show us your records. It is amazing when a man can't learn something new and admit a feat that nobody else in the world has accomplished. Lucky for Kelly he has been Outside Magazines top Athlete, ESPN has acknowledged his feats, and most all sporting publications knows he is a specimen of athleticism. His accomplishments are second to none.

Like I said only that guy that is a candle pin bowler has accomplished more.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Jog a mile w/ a 200# pack. I'd pay to see that.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Jog a mile w/ a 200# pack. I'd pay to see that.

mike r

Ivmiker Wouldn't we all. I would rather be his ortho!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was a 300 PFTer in the Marine Corps. Not the strongest guy around, not the fastest guy around, but I held my own. I ain't running with a 200lb pack. If you believe Sitka Deer, you know nothing about the human body! If that was a feat that could be done regularly why isn't it in the crossfit games? I got two letters for you B-S

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was a 300 PFTer in the Marine Corps. Not the strongest guy around, not the fastest guy around, but I held my own. I ain't running with a 200lb pack. If you believe Sitka Deer, you know nothing about the human body! If that was a feat that could be done regularly why isn't it in the crossfit games? I got two letters for you B-S

There are folks here that have seen me do it, and I feel no need to prove it to anyone. I am not saying I can do it now, but I did do it more than a few times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would like to see you paddle out at Waimea Bay. Or race a guy for priority. For that matter even be able to stay in position at Haleiwa.

Have you ever taken a pounding from an overhead or double overhead wave? Ever been slammed into a coral reef? I haven't even begun to talk about the actual act of surfing yet.

I would be willing to bet you couldn't even get up on a short board on a two foot wave, Backside measurement so roughly 4 to 5 foot face.

I would like to see him throw a 200# pack on his back and jog a mile. Or run as fast as I did in college for a few miles. Both things few can do. I have absolutely no experience surfing and freely admit it.

But what does that have to do with his records? Show us your records. It is amazing when a man can't learn something new and admit a feat that nobody else in the world has accomplished. Lucky for Kelly he has been Outside Magazines top Athlete, ESPN has acknowledged his feats, and most all sporting publications knows he is a specimen of athleticism. His accomplishments are second to none.

ESPN... hmmm, did they call Jenner the Most Corageous athlete of all time? Aren't all of those magazines looking to sell magazines and looking to the unusual to stimulate controversy?

Kelly is no doubt a spectacular specimen, but how many truly top athletes compete in surfing? A big fish in a small pond?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter

lolol,....that's one of the funniest movies ever made. Some people don't get it.

I know some people down home who are in their late 60's who are still trying to live their high school glory.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

ESPN... hmmm, did they call Jenner the Most Corageous athlete of all time? Aren't all of those magazines looking to sell magazines and looking to the unusual to stimulate controversy?

Kelly is no doubt a spectacular specimen, but how many truly top athletes compete in surfing? A big fish in a small pond?

You are wrong again. There are 45 on tour and none of them are slouches. Hell anyone one of them can win and some have advantages over others in certain conditions and breaks. So it is never a give me. Kelly has fought it out against the best of the best his entire career. He has been down in heats and somehow pulls out an incredible ride at the last seconds of the heat. You can say what you want about surfing but Kelly is equal to if not better then any other athlete in the discussion.

By the way running with 200lb pack isn't skill, it is stupidity at it's finest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by stxhunter

lolol,....that's one of the funniest movies ever made. Some people don't get it.

I know some people down home who are in their late 60's who are still trying to live their high school glory.

uncle Rico is my 51 yr old brother. John was first team Allstate strong safety as well as being the starting quarterback.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Deland
For years I thought it was Lance Armstrong, and then, well, you know!!!

Whatever he did ..he still did it with only one nut...after bouncing back from the most advanced stage IIIc
and after the effects of chemotherapy and additional surgery to remove cancers that had metastasized
to his brain.

Every high level sport has dopers, and Some dopers get caught.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would have to say Brian Urlacher or JJ Watt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I would have to say Brian Urlacher or JJ Watt.

Great players and JJ is one hell of an amazing human. But I don't see them even in the conversation.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
MCH yeah Slater is great at surfing, but he isn't really known for anything but surfing. Heck that Australian guy mentioned earlier competed at international level in half a dozen sports and did well.

Greatest surfer no problem, greatest athlete not even close IMO.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My money is on Killian Jornet. He made the fastest ever ascent of Everest w/ out supplemental O2, has won every mountain ultra of consequence, won the Hardrock 100 race w/ a separated shoulder after a fall and is a world renowned backcountry skiier.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I took the thread title to be asking greatest all around athlete. Which to me is a different question than greatest single sport athlete.

I knew a couple of guys who ran 50 milers for fun. 12 miles was all the fun I could handle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Some deluded Slater fans will tell ya he would be able to play football like Ronaldo if given the chance,
but Ronaldo would never be able to surf like Slater..., I guess that means Slater could also match or eclipse
Roger Federer at tennis if he wanted to.... wink

Wikipedia;

Robert Kelly Slater (born February 11, 1972) "is an American professional surfer, author, actor, model, environmental activist,
businessman, and innovator, most well known for his unprecedented 11 world surfing championships."

Originally Posted by dodgefan
MCH yeah Slater is great at surfing, but he isn't really known for anything but surfing. Heck that Australian guy mentioned
earlier competed at international level
in half a dozen sports and did well.

Greatest surfer no problem, greatest athlete not even close IMO.

once MCH makes his mind up there's no changing it, ./.Slater = best white athlete ever... and that's that! ..

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When you study the body of work for as the title says Greatest White Athlete you have to look at what they accomplished. Not what they couldn't do. You are judging them on what they did do. Like I have said no other Athlete has the resume Kelly has unless you want to call bowling athletic. Then that guy that Candle Pin Bowls is the greatest. You can try to manipulate it all you want. it is what it is.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You might want to take a look at this guy.

Eddy Merckx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Or Lvmikers suggestion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%ADlian_Jornet_Burgada

Snowy Baker was no slouch either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Baker

Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.