-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Any help will be greatly appreciated... please keep in mind that this is about all I can spend on a rifle at this time.

Small ring Mauser action, .308 Winchester, 80-90% bluing left on the barrel/reciever, Choate lightweight synthetic stock, very good bore, drilled and tapped for scope, includes bases and good weaver rings. Looking to buy for $250. Is it worth it? Or should I keep looking?

Doren

P.S.
To all those who have taken the time to read any of my posts up to and including now, I once again give my sincere thanks. I have picked up a wealth of information from merely reading some of the threads that are posted here.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it shoots well and looks like it was put together by a decent gunsmith, the price is about right. In fact, if it is a good shooter you might just have found yourself a real bargain! - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doren,

I honestly know little to nothing about the Mausers. But to be quite honest if your looking for a hunting rifle and the Mauser feels good to you, and can shoot fairly accurately (doesn't have to be 1.5" at 100) consistently, I will go one further than Sheister ... You got a heck of a deal. Let me echo ... just my opinion!!

Good Luck!

George

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doren just one little "watch it" it would be helpful to know whose Mauser action it is. I assume it is a 98 but you didn't say. Some of the older small ring Mausers are suspect. Is the sale from a reputible shop or an individual. A gun shop should know an individual might not.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
SSOOOLLDD!!!

To someone else who got there before I did...

Let bygones be bygones...

However, I found another Mauser .308 sporter that looks nearly as good as the first, for $200, w/o a synthetic stock, which I don't need anyways, and without all the stuff for a scope (I'd rather learn how to shoot better without one). And besides that, it's closer to home. Anyways, thanks for giving me a heads up about the other older mauser's (pre-98), I will keep that in mind.

Doren

IC B2

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boggy;

He said it was a small ring, so unless it was a Mexican, it wasn't a 98 based action.

There were hundreds and hundreds, heck thousands of Spainish 1906's (1893's converted to 7.62 CETME) , and marketed through various mil-surp Jobbers. Samco probably the most prolifent. Thing is, the receivers are marked "7.62" Having been re-worked from the original 1893 7mm Mauser action design. These guns will chamber 7.62 X 51 or .308 win ammo, and the 1893 hasn;t the strength or the venting capabilities to deal with these high pressure rounds. Some variations of this action even have a oval slot cut into the ring to help vent gas incase of primer failure, but personally I think this weakens an already suspect receiver (gotta love that fine spanish steel!)There are some warnings floating around the net and some prety impressive pictures to fortify the story. If you were to buy one of these, and like your face, I'ld handload the .308 brass to .300 savage levels as a precaution.

If it was one of the 96 actions that were rebarreled by Kimber of Yonkers, you still have a sm. ring c.o.c. action, but at least you have the added strength of Swedish steel. The Swede's had their own alloy considered superior to even the Germans.

Bottom line, either way $250 is about $100 too much. Little Pike didn't miss out on anything.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAM you are right as rain. That's why I said "I assume" and asked about a shop sale or individual. I didn't want to go into the CETME deal and confuse Pike too much on describing all the differences as this was or seemed to be a quickie deal. Buy it or lose it. Wasn't much lost by him losing it.
Some of those Spanish mausers converted from 7m/m are ticking time bombs with 308 Win ammo. The CETME cartridge was a special load but you already know that.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 16,959 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,180
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.