Hop To
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Or Lvmikers suggestion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%ADlian_Jornet_Burgada

Holy smoke!

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dodgefan
You might want to take a look at this guy.

Eddy Merckx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

Eddy was phenomenal

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by 257Deland
For years I thought it was Lance Armstrong, and then, well, you know!!!

Whatever he did ..he still did it with only one nut...after bouncing back from the most advanced stage IIIc
and after the effects of chemotherapy and additional surgery to remove cancers that had metastasized
to his brain.

Every high level sport has dopers, and Some dopers get caught.

And he sued people for saying he was doping and won.......kept the money.
Real gem

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would like to see you paddle out at Waimea Bay. Or race a guy for priority. For that matter even be able to stay in position at Haleiwa.

Have you ever taken a pounding from an overhead or double overhead wave? Ever been slammed into a coral reef? I haven't even begun to talk about the actual act of surfing yet.

Further more every sport is judged one way or another.

But those that don't know, just don't know!

I would be willing to bet you couldn't even get up on a short board on a two foot wave, Backside measurement so roughly 4 to 5 foot face.

Laird Hamilton ain’t no slouch.......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lee24

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
I would like to see you paddle out at Waimea Bay. Or race a guy for priority. For that matter even be able to stay in position at Haleiwa.

Have you ever taken a pounding from an overhead or double overhead wave? Ever been slammed into a coral reef? I haven't even begun to talk about the actual act of surfing yet.

I would be willing to bet you couldn't even get up on a short board on a two foot wave, Backside measurement so roughly 4 to 5 foot face.

You are right he isn't. However the question wasn't Greatest Watermen. If it were I would have thrown him and Derrick Donner in their. Laird is a hell of a surfer and innovator. But it is hard to judge him without contest surfing. Also I was scrutinized for the WSL for only being 45 deep. Big Wave contest are less than that. Laird is a fit specimen as is Kelly but Laird is a bigger man.

According to Sitka Deer QB's can't be judged either there are only 32 teams in the NFL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You are right he isn't. However the question wasn't Greatest Watermen. If it were I would have thrown him and Derrick Donner in their. Laird is a hell of a surfer and innovator. But it is hard to judge him without contest surfing. Also I was scrutinized for the WSL for only being 45 deep. Big Wave contest are less than that. Laird is a fit specimen as is Kelly but Laird is a bigger man.

According to Sitka Deer QB's can't be judged either there are only 32 teams in the NFL.

32 teams in the NFL, but look at all the development teams to sort out those <100 active NFL QBs. 130 NCAA div 1 schools to start. I am guessing, totally guessing, there are orders of magnitude more teenage and older males playing football than there are surfers. If you become a name college football player you were tested by many, many more players than any surfer sees in competition.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

32 teams in the NFL, but look at all the development teams to sort out those <100 active NFL QBs. 130 NCAA div 1 schools to start. I am guessing, totally guessing, there are orders of magnitude more teenage and older males playing football than there are surfers. If you become a name college football player you were tested by many, many more players than any surfer sees in competition.

Sitka Deer there are many surf leagues. There is High schools and colleges surf teams. There is an East Coast series, West Coast Series, Brazilian Series, Hawaiian Series. Australia has their different series. My point being that there are roughly 32 elite QB's in the game. There are 45 elite surfers in the game. In the WSL there is the Championship League and Qualifying series. Just because surfing isn't a mainstream sport does not mean it isn't legitimate. Doesn't mean they are not fit athletes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Look I am a huge Patriot's fan have been since I was five years old. Brady is a great athlete and probably the best QB to ever play the game like him or not. But by no means would I put him in a list of Greatest White Athlete's. He has 6 rings, it took a team to get those rings. Kelly has 11 World Championships and he is his team.

I'll add that the WSL is a long season and they are traveling more then any NFL team is and to places where your body has to adjust to the foods. The time zones. The weather.

There are some other athletes by all means up there with Kelly in the discussion. however to try to discredit him is ignorant. The man is a machine. I know he is liberal as hell but that does not negate his accomplishments.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lets put some others in. Brian Shaw. A bit injured now but he is a 4X World Champ Strong man and has world records in lifting and in rowing a C2.

Dick Butkus- There may have been more talented athletes in football but I don't believe that many used visualization to play against whole football teams. I remember stories of how he would take on entire teams from the defensive position.

Donn F. Draeger. Sure he was probably poisoned to death by some strange poison used in S.E. Asia. But read about him. He was the only white guy to reach Hachiman status in Kendo. A lot more folks do Kendo than Surf.

Dean Karnazes is a pretty darned good runner. For distance. He pretty much breaks the barrier for ultra-marathoning excellence.

Joe DiMaggio is not normally known for anything beyond his hit streak and being married to Marilyn Monroe but the ability to hit the streak is truly amazing.

These are just a couple. I am sure that there are more.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Donn F. Draeger. Sure he was probably poisoned to death by some strange poison used in S.E. Asia. But read about him. He was the only white guy to reach Hachiman status in Kendo. A lot more folks do Kendo than Surf.

Really? Can you prove that? The topic isn't what is the greatest white athlete in the most popular sports.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wouldn't put any batters in there that didn't have at least one golden glove.. Baseball isn't the most athletic sport out there. Yes a lot of hand eye coordination required and some strength. But if they aren't a well rounded player I don't see a spot for them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
From Wikipedia...

The "Kodansha Meibo" (a register of dan graded members of the All Japan Kendo Federation) shows that as of September 2007, there were 1.48 million registered dan graded kendōka in Japan. According to the survey conducted by the All Japan Kendo Federation, the number of active kendo practitioners in Japan is 477,000 in which 290,000 dan holders are included. From these figures, the All Japan Kendo Federation estimates that the number of "kendōka" in Japan is 1.66 million, with over 6 million practitioners worldwide, by adding the number of the registered dan holders and the active kendo practitioners without dan grade.[23]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One could sure make a strong case for Cam Haines.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
From Wikipedia...

The "Kodansha Meibo" (a register of dan graded members of the All Japan Kendo Federation) shows that as of September 2007, there were 1.48 million registered dan graded kendōka in Japan. According to the survey conducted by the All Japan Kendo Federation, the number of active kendo practitioners in Japan is 477,000 in which 290,000 dan holders are included. From these figures, the All Japan Kendo Federation estimates that the number of "kendōka" in Japan is 1.66 million, with over 6 million practitioners worldwide, by adding the number of the registered dan holders and the active kendo practitioners without dan grade.[23]

And how many surfers are there in the world? And what does popularity have to do with it?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Popularity has nothing to do with it. However, it has to do with being open to all sorts of things. Donn F. Draeger was an anomaly. He would travel throughout the world and challenge martial arts masters in every discipline. Imagine having to go from Judo, to Kendo, to Wrestling, to Kali, to Chinna, to Tai Chi to boxing to Tai Kwon Do to Karate of all forms. Kelly Slater is an exceptional athlete, that I am sure, but you would be close-minded if you didn't appreciate the life and study of Donn F. Draeger. His research of martial arts created the most comprehensive study of martial arts. Read about his life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not even close...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Popularity has nothing to do with it. However, it has to do with being open to all sorts of things. Donn F. Draeger was an anomaly. He would travel throughout the world and challenge martial arts masters in every discipline. Imagine having to go from Judo, to Kendo, to Wrestling, to Kali, to Chinna, to Tai Chi to boxing to Tai Kwon Do to Karate of all forms. Kelly Slater is an exceptional athlete, that I am sure, but you would be close-minded if you didn't appreciate the life and study of Donn F. Draeger. His research of martial arts created the most comprehensive study of martial arts. Read about his life.

I am not discounting his body of work. I am discounting your reasoning. We are not discussing research either.

I still am wondering what surfing population of the world is. I would think it is a really hard thing to estimate. Just a wild azz guess but I would think in just the America's there would be around 3 to 4 million.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You are claiming that surfers are ultimately the best athletes in the world. Sure they are good. But I don't think that Slater as brilliant and brave as he is would want to travel through every bad village in SE Asia and through Chen village in China and challenge each village champ to spar, sometimes with edged weapons. There are millions of white dudes that surf but there has only been one white dude who become all Japan Kendo Champion and a national treasure of Japan who was born in the US. He was an Olympic level Judoka and world class competitor in Sanshou Kungfu (full contact) and didn't stop till his death.

When he was just on the start of his martial arts journey, he was a young USMC captain and went into a seedy bar in New Mexico. He was attacked by two famous knife fighters from South of the border. He killed both with his bare hands and was acquitted. Witnesses said that they attacked him from behind and when he sensed them that there was a fast flurry of fists from Draeger and both hombres died of multiple skull fractures.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/20/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Not even close...

Oh yeah right because you have a lower resting heart rate than he, and you have run further and faster than him. Your DIY public land hunting is on par with his? Can you out shoot him with a bow? Or are you saying hunting isn't a sport?

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,499
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.