Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi folks,
i've never been hog/boar hunting but would like to go. I have been hunting whitetails for more years than i care to admit. a couple novice friends are also interested. given that we do not have time to scout or experience we'd like to first go to a pay to play place that has hogs and spend maybe 2 days if needed. we're looking to go in the southern part of michigan or northwest ohio.

any tips on how to go about this, what to look for in one of these places and specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated
thanks for your time

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Some of the guys in here know some good places. They aren’t hard to kill. They do have better noses than deer.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hogs aren't that hard to hunt. There used to be lots of good background information at https://texasboars.com/ but it seems to be gone now. There are some good threads here and on a couple of other forums.

I'd look for an operation that actually has wild hogs and doesn't just let you shoot domestic hogs that have been turned loose for a few weeks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Recurve1
Hi folks,
i've never been hog/boar hunting but would like to go. I have been hunting whitetails for more years than i care to admit. a couple novice friends are also interested. given that we do not have time to scout or experience we'd like to first go to a pay to play place that has hogs and spend maybe 2 days if needed. we're looking to go in the southern part of michigan or northwest ohio.

any tips on how to go about this, what to look for in one of these places and specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated
thanks for your time

those places will more than likely be stocked with domestic hogs. so it will be easy. feral hogs like down here are another ball game.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Head south for a hog hunt. You can find a place with lots of hogs you have to hunt, not just shoot. Most places do long weekend hunts with full services . Thermal or night hunting is something you would want to try also and now is usually included or available .
Texas also just changed license requirements and no hunting license is required to hunt hogs on private land, A 5 day license is only $48 though so you can hunt other critters.
Oklahoma and other southern states also have good hog hunting. Texas just has very liberal laws on hunting them.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Here is a few dead ones.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 02/21/19.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Here is a few on the hoof, some are dead pigs walking.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
thaks for the info guys.
the south sounds good however we will all be in Michigan for a wedding so wanted to have a little fun before that. the tip on wild pigs vs domestic is a good one - keep that stuff coming.

the pork looks like it would be good - do you guys like eating these?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My wife works for Pushmataha Plantation in LIsman,Alabama. They do hog hunts about 9 mos of the year. They can do fully guided hunts with meals and lodging or more basic packages that are more do it yourself oriented.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
thaks for the info guys.
the south sounds good however we will all be in Michigan for a wedding so wanted to have a little fun before that. the tip on wild pigs vs domestic is a good one - keep that stuff coming.

That's why we hunt them. Meat is great, leaner than domestic pork.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
thaks for the info guys.

I like to eat the 50 pounders, am sure guys here eat them bigger, but if you are looking for a trophy boar that won't be your best eating....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will clean a squirrel size pig they fry up better than a rabbit

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 50 to 75 pounders are good!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wytex
That's why we hunt them. Meat is great, leaner than domestic pork.

They taste a lot better, too.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I like to shoot the ones I can pick up with one hand! They are delicious!!! And fit real good in the freezer.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
http://www.midthumbgameranch.com/

If your looking for a place in Michigan. I have been to this outfit. It was ten years ago. We did a morning shoot on hogs as part of a Bachelor party. The owner was a good guy. It’s a good place for spot and stalk archery. It’s more of a harvest than a hunt. If you want more of a hunt your probably better to head further south, to a state that has wild free ranging hogs.

Last edited by Region6; 02/21/19.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ

if you are looking for a trophy boar that won't be your best eating....

I hear that the bigger ones make great sausage though. ¿ Verdad ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We hunt them only with dogs and use bay dogs only. No catch dogs. Can get alittle hairy at times. Wild hogs are extremely wary and very wind sensitive. AR,LA, MS, AL, OK, TX, FL are full of em along with some other Southeastern states. I recommend going with a good team of dog men and have a blast! Most won't let you carry a gun because they don't want their very valuable dogs shot by accident. They'll hand you a gun and tell you when to shoot or they'll have catch dogs and you'll be able to stick it with a large blade. You can PM me for some numbers to contact if you wish. Nothing fancy but a good time will be had. TX has the most hogs and there are several good outfits and be easily found on the net. There are alot of stand hunting opportunities in Texas which is easy and usually you get to see some outstanding deer depending on what time of the year you go. Good luck with a hunt if you go! And yes, the table fare is outstanding!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I like to shoot the ones I can pick up with one hand! They are delicious!!! And fit real good in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

They clean easy and taste great lol

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
One.of my coworkers takes his dogs to one of the hunting lodges and takes clients. They run them down with Catahoula curs and he has a bulldog or something that catches them. He holds the front leg up so the client can stab them in the heart. He has some videos on his phone and it looks pretty crazy. He says the people he takes really seem to like it. When he hunts by himself he catches them and ties them up and sells them to other hunting clubs for as he says" for city people to shoot. "
He said he had caught a big boar once and sold it for a hunt they had a high fence but the boar was in a cotton trailer. He brought his dogs and they were supposed to have a little race for the client. The hunter shows up walks up with a rifle shoots the hog in the trailer says he doesn't want to get his boots muddy. Pays for the hunt and is happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.