-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you like in a reloading press for little stuff? 22 hornet, 222rem, maybe some 25-20 on the horizon. Plus, modest volume revolver/pistol ammo. Use a forster coax now but that’s a lot of throw and power. Would like the excuse to try a turret press, but appears all are sized to accept up to magnums, too. Anyone using the rcbs partner? The sinclair benchrest press?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have been loading 17 Rem and 17 Hornet ammo lately using a Forster coax press. I have a RC IV on another bench and found no reason to go back to it. Certainly see no reason to not buy another press though. No excuse needed there. smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Rock Chucker for every thing.........Redding powder measure......RCBS digital pro scale.....

20 Vartarg.......up to 6.5x55.......40 smith.......357...44...45 Colt

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
You want mass for strength and no flex. I have more presses than I need, but not as many as I want. Two Hornady progressives, two Dillon SDB a Rock Chucker and a COAX. Loaded everything on the coax and RC, 17FB all the way to 458 Lott. The Hornady’s work well for me and how I use them, as a progressive turret. I have loaded thousands of 32-20’s, 357,223 30-30 and several others. I hand prime and drop powder off the press on some.
Jeff

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When I was searching last week for a press as a gift I saw someone that made three press sizes, tailored to the cartridge. Harrell's or mec or one of the boutique companies. Don't know if it will speed up your process, but I would be curious what you find.
Reloading presses are Doritos.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use this little Hart arbor press and Wilson dies to load for 204 Ruger. Also use it sometimes for 25-06 & 308 Win.
[Linked Image]

It only neck-sizes, but produces really nice, accurate ammo. Simple to use, and it's something different if that's what you seek. Minimal effort required to size & load ammo.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 02/22/19.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sandcritter
. Anyone using the rcbs partner?

I've been using a Partner press (actually2) for the past 20 some years for bullet seating and using Lee collet neck sizing dies. And for the occasional time I need to pull bullets. I've got a Bonanza Coax that gets used for all full length resizing of rifle cases.

Last edited by 222Sako; 02/22/19.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a RCBS Partner and a Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend a DIllon 650. No matter what, overkill is your friend.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

^^ what do you load primarily? Have browsed both.

The MEC looks slick, but similar role as the coax.

T7 still calling me, but again is larger scale than am looking for today.

Think will give the harrell turret a twirl. Spoke with them today and was advised it is dimensioned to handle up to .308 case lengths and has a short throw. Pretty much what am seeking. May need to fab a mount, as appears it’s a table clamp design, while my bench is 3” thick. Minor.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Can't beat the Coax

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was loading the bugs, Hornet and Bee I used a Lyman Tru-line Jr with a 7/8x14 turret on it. Since then I have a Lee Cast Classic 4 hole Turret press for most of my loading(I have eight turret plates set up with multiple calibers on each plate). I keep a Lyman Crusher on the bench for heavy case forming

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

^^ what do you load primarily? Have browsed both.

The MEC looks slick, but similar role as the coax.

T7 still calling me, but again is larger scale than am looking for today.

Think will give the harrell turret a twirl. Spoke with them today and was advised it is dimensioned to handle up to .308 case lengths and has a short throw. Pretty much what am seeking. May need to fab a mount, as appears it’s a table clamp design, while my bench is 3” thick. Minor.

I'm set up to load from 17 Hornet on up. I'm not too familiar with the Harrell press but it sounds like something to check out. You may also want to check out www.inlinefabrication.com for a mount for your press. I use their quick detach bases and it saves me a lot of space.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sandcritter, do you have the short handle offered for the coax? If not you might want to try that for general use. I got one when I first got a coax and never used anything but the short handle.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65X54
sandcritter, do you have the short handle offered for the coax? If not you might want to try that for general use. I got one when I first got a coax and never used anything but the short handle.

Yes, agreed, the short handle is the way to go. The coax is excellent all around, no doubt. But for little cartridges, am going to see if this little harrell turret can do the job. More curiosity than need, obviosly. Had ACL done 3 days ago, so laid up with an active mind, late winter, dangerous.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like a semi progressive like the Dillon 550, I also have a partner and a rockchucker, the only one I never use is the partner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW sandcritter, I had to take a look at the Harrell you are talking about and you probably cost me money. You are dangerous!!

Get healed up. If you are having weather like we have been having here in KS you aren't missing out on much. Checking loads with a 17 cal in 40 mph wind gusts isn't very productive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Harrell's 4 station turret, a Redding T7, a 2nd Series CoAx with adequate but not ample top clearance for micrometer dies, a Hollywood Universal Turret just in case, a Meacham Load Anywhere for versatile no setup use and a progressive.

For exclusive dedicated bench use on a reloading bench permanently setup and mounted solid, that is not clamped, the T7 is far and away the better general choice. Aluminum has some advantages but although kept clean and lubricated it won't last like the iron and steel T7. I'm assuming everybody here knows that a T7 with a million logged cartridges and still going strong was recently retired to display and marketing. Extra holes, extra precision over the life of the press, I like to leave a Redding Instant Indicator tool set up for shoulder and oal adjustments while also having dies set up. And when I have the dies anyway bushing, micrometer bushing, different size bushing, small base and different bullet nose for seating can add up to more than a two die set. T7 does a good job handling spent primers though maybe the CoAx has an edge there the T7 definitely beats the Harrells all hollow with spent primer dumping.

That said the Harrell press is mighty user friendly for low power tasks on shorter cartridges. The shorter throw shorter handle is nice for repetitive tasks - compare with a CoAx third series with a full length handle that clears the long rifle cartridges with micrometer tops Decapping a .40 S&W with a Redding double carbide ring sizing die then pushing the case base first through a bulge buster die works just fine at my desk with the Harrell either way first. I have experimented with extended shell holders for pistol cartridges to shorten the throw and found I still needed to operate over the full range for enough leverage but the Harrell is easier on my arm and shoulder. The Harrell is clamped to my desk next to my monitor and keyboard. The T7 is part of a dedicated bench with a stainless top for static control if good grounding all around helps and I think it might.

R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been using the same Rock Chucker since the mid 60's for everything.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.