-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone made pastrami with deer or bear? I am using Eileen's recipe with a small 2 pound bear roast that the recipe calls for. I started it today (in the refrigerator) and it will go in the smoker with hickory chunks in about 2 weeks. Can't wait to try it!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do it all the time.
Use Rytek’s recipe

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just did 4 Venison roasts using the recipe I found in one of those Cabela's sales catalogs we get in the mail. They've been a big hit.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Please share the recipies. I have been wanting to do this for a long time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Copied from the Cabela's catalog I mentioned previously.

Venison Pastrami
You can use about any cut of Venison you’d like for this recipe, but the recipe used eye of round because it was thinner and required less curing time. Any roast cut from the round or even a blade steak from the shoulder would do.
Cure:
¼ cup Tender Quick
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tsp. paprika
1 Tsp. allspice
Rub:
3 Tbsp. pepper
1 Tsp. ground coriander
1 Tsp. garlic powder
• Mix cure and coat roast thoroughly. You need to pack on the cure , leaving no surface uncovered. Place roast in gallon zip lock and place in fridge.
• Turn roast once or twice a day. After a day or two, liquid will start to appear in the bottom of the bag. This is normal. Total curing time depends on the thickness of your roast, but consider the minimum time 5 days.
• At the end of curing remove the roast from the bag and rinse thoroughly. Soak the roast in a bowl of cold water for a few hours or overnight. Remove from water, rinse and dry thoroughly.
• Coat roast with rub and place in pre-heated smoker. Smoke to 150 degrees (F).
• Place the roast on a sheet of tinfoil, splash with a little beef stock, seal foil tightly. Let this steam for about 30 minutes.
• Remove from foil, slice and enjoy

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Put the bear pastrami in the smoker this morning. Should be ready in a few more hours!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Have not tried this one yet.

We have all her cook books and everything my wife has tried turns out very well.

Eileen has the experience, and more importantly the passion to get these things correct.

Duty, Honor, Country

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,910
Posts18,518,654
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.