Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So it’s looks like the KAJ might be more comparable to a peloton 240 , but more durable.
Would this be a good assessment?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Getting way outside my knowledge level but both seem like breathable mid layers. Peloton probably more breathable, Kelvin Active probably warmer and more advanced materials. All assumptions though.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll get you some pics of each tonight. The 240 and Kelvin Active are quite different. The KA is a rather thin, yet puffy jacket. If you hold it up to light you can see through it. The 240 is a thin, dense material. The 240 blocks wind better. The KA moves moisture better and has a DWR finish. Which is warmer? Good question. The KA has some loft, but it breathes so well it doesn’t block wind. The 240 blocks wind, but has no loft to speak of. If temps aren’t going to be too cold, I’ve found the KA over the 240 works well.

Edit: I wear the 240 as a shirt over my silk weight or Aerowool base layer. I also wear it over a t-shirt around the house a lot. Very comfy! My layering starts there (for Oct/Nov Rockies at 10k). I’ll add insulation, rain protection, etc., on top of that. The Kelvin Active would be used if I need a little more insulation and expect lots of strenuous climbs, fast hiking of some distance, or whatever may work up a sweat. Probably the best use case for the KA is mild conditions, with some good climbing/hiking and worn directly over a base layer. It’s hard to pinpoint a suitable temp because the wind will really change how you feel. With the 240 the wind doesn’t impact how I feel nearly as much. The 240 is a great shirt for any season, the KA is a great jacket for Aug/Sept mountain hunting. I don’t see any utility for the KA as it gets colder. That’s how I see it.

Last edited by prm; 02/22/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not up on all the technical gear like most here, I have a buddy on here that I ask about clothes all the time. And I'm a slow adapter. But I do kill elk every year in Wyoming in December at pretty high elevations. I've done it when it's below zero and when its 45 degrees.

Been using merino as a base for a long time. Then wool surplus officer dress pants. I just recently got the wrangler fleece lined pants but haven't used them yet. I did use the unlined wrangler outdoor pants this fall and they are great. Tops are merino, lightweight syn. puffy and then in my mind at least a pretty huge non hunting brand down puffy with hood. I don't want one without a hood. I was happily surprised by how wind proof the Brooks range puffy is. I think it weighs 17oz. But I still carry my marmot precip for windy days pants and jacket. The jacket is sized big so as to not compress the puffy. It probably isn't going to rain and while my country isn't windy by Wyoming standards we still get some wind and I like the rain gear as a lightweight hard shell wind stopper.

I admit that my clothes are partially because of budget. Also, I'm not a backpack hunter, but like you I suspect, the guys on here really know clothes so I do like to come here. Doesn't sound like your upcoming hunt is a overnight backpack deal either.

Probably spent more on my merino than anything else.

surplus wool pants under 20, wrangler fleece lined outdoor 25, precip around 60 each from STP, Brooks range puffy bought on sale in late winter 80. My lighter weight syn puffy I think was around 60 on sale. I think my smartwool merinos are around 100 each.

I would like to try the FL areowool this year.

Obviously all the FL, Sitka, Kuiu works. I haven't tried any of it mostly because of budget and what I have works so well. Maybe I never should try that stuff, probably works so well I'd cry that I didn't try it before. Don't be afraid to try non hunting brands.

The clothing piece that baffles me a little right now is the skin tight hoodie deals that I see all the guys wearing on the hunting shows. I haven't figured out yet how I need one of those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be interested in seeing the pics as well. I've had a KAJ in my hand, a buddy has one, and I don't recall being able to see through it. I recall it being very similar to the Kuiu Kenai that I had at the time more than anything. Of course I could be mis-remembering..............

Last edited by bwinters; 02/22/19.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here’s a couple pics.

There are lights behind them here. The camera doesn’t pick it up well, but as you look through the KA you can see bright points of light. I love the jacket, just not as a layer in very cold temps.
[Linked Image]

240 looks like a single layer (it’s actually two bonded though). The KA is is clearly multi layer with some loft.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 02/22/19.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the photos .
The 240 looks like an old Cabela’s grid fleece 1/4 zip I’m still wearing .
It’s literally my favorite fleece shirt ever.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Originally Posted by GF1
I have used the Jetstream for over two years on a number of hunts. I can't say enough good about it. It is warmer than it should be. With weather in the teens, I layer underneath, a couple polypro long sleeve shirts (using Kryptek now), then a fleece vest under the Jetstream. I carry a Sitka puffy in my pack if I'm going to sit awhile, as well as Dewpoint rain suit. The hood is a great feature also, especially in the wind.

I strongly recommend the Jetstream. Be sure to size it right; I usually wear a large, and the extra large hits me just right.

Which puffy are you using ? Kelvin Lite or Kelvin Down?

[quote=Stilllearning]

Mine is the Kelvin Jacket (no hood), insulation is Primaloft.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/kelvin-jacket/optifade-open-country

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=GF1]I have used the Jetstream for over two years on a number of hunts. I can't say enough good about it. It is warmer than it should be. With weather in the teens, I layer underneath, a couple polypro long sleeve shirts (using Kryptek now), then a fleece vest under the Jetstream. I carry a Sitka puffy in my pack if I'm going to sit awhile, as well as Dewpoint rain suit. The hood is a great feature also, especially in the wind.

I strongly recommend the Jetstream. Be sure to size it right; I usually wear a large, and the extra large hits me just right.

Which puffy are you using ? Kelvin Lite or Kelvin Down?

Mine is the Kelvin Jacket (no hood), insulation is Primaloft.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/kelvin-jacket/optifade-open-country

I really like the looks of the non hooded kelvin jacket.
No one was showing one in stock , even Sitka themselves; so I made the assumption they had been discontinued.
I hope I am wrong.
Are they still in production ?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Midway Usa has the Kelvin Active jacket on sale right now. Not sure what sizes they have left.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the same vein as prm, here are a couple of pics of various puffy and similar purpose jackets.

Kuiu 240 Peleton (L), Sitka Kelvin Lite (R)

[Linked Image]

Sitka Core Heavyweight (L), Patagonia R1 hoody (M), Kuiu 240 Peleton (L)

[Linked Image]

Sitka Traverse Cold Weather hoody (L), Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody (R)

[Linked Image]

All 4 together

[Linked Image]

Interestingly, the most windproof is the Kuiu 240 Peleton. It didn't occur to me to wear it as a mid layer until prm posted. It is about the same weight as the R1 and Core Heavyweight. I also did the "light test" to the KLH. You can't see specific light 'holes/beams' through the material but you can see the light illuminating the material from the opposite side of the light, especially as the stitching. It still breathes fairly well - you can blow air through it (my empirical windproof test).

The Sitka Traverse Cold weather hoody isn't a puffy but is deathly quiet, warm, and breathes. I don't think its as warm as the KLH but the exterior is quiet. I ended up with it kind of by accident and decided to keep it. Its worth a consideration as well.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So many good alternatives out there. I’ll bet the Kelvin Lite over the 240 and a silkweight synthetic base would cover 90%. Add an Uber puffy for real cold glassing and a packable rain jacket (also works as additional wind block while glassing) and you’re 100%. Lots of other ways to go, but that works for me. Some use one less layer, but I’ve found those five are the most I ever need. I could leave the big puffy at home for earlier seasons, or possibly even a warmer than average CO 1st rifle.

My real wind blocker test is put the layer on over a thin synthetic t-shirt and ride my 4-wheeler the .5mi to the mailbox. When it’s about 30deg you find out real quick what blocks wind!

Last edited by prm; 02/23/19.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Kelvin Jacket, in the link above, seems to be available, and is discounted.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looks to be sold out and or unavailable when Ipull it up.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.