Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curious if anyone has confirmed reporting of diseased deer in their area.

https://www.9news.com/article/life/...8y4fcm0fnPMpY7JwinDZwI2HxGw3UoYT7RNiWxzA

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So far it's never been found in Idaho. However, it's been all along our border with WY so most likely it's here but just not found yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, seen it. It isn’t as bad as EHD. That crap wiped out almost half of the deer in the state, and total wipeout of 3-4 counties in one year.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yep, seen it. It isn’t as bad as EHD. That crap wiped out almost half of the deer in the state, and total wipeout of 3-4 counties in one year.

I find that hard to believe as 10% of deer are either naturally immune or can fight off EHD and survive, passing the antibodies on the their offspring.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/21/1/hunters-campfire[quote=Rock Chuc
I've only seen one that i felt sure had it. It was in the Rocky Mountain National Park, a good size buck walking with several Does, he seemed unstable and appeared as if he was going too walk right at me for a while. He sure wasn't acting normal.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Never seen a deer with CWD but they say the deer are safe to eat, however, at least in MO, if your county has a known case of CWD you can not donate to the local "Share the Harvest" program. Hmmmmm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I find that hard to believe as 10% of deer are either naturally immune or can fight off EHD and survive, passing the antibodies on the their offspring.

EHD wiped out many of the deer that the state would have liked to see eliminated, but it wasn’t even across the state, which is what the commission was trying to accomplish.

“Some people still have too many deer,” Hams said, “and some have few or none.”

Hams suggests that in areas most affected by EHD, hunters cut back on the harvest of does. He has predicted populations will rebound in a few years if does are given the opportunity to breed.

The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission eliminated about 87,000 permits and bonus tags in 2013 in response to the EHD outbreak of 2012. A significant reduction in harvest was expected.

It was down 30%

Last edited by Swifty52; 02/22/19.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brayirish
Never seen a deer with CWD but they say the deer are safe to eat, however, at least in MO, if your county has a known case of CWD you can not donate to the local "Share the Harvest" program. Hmmmmm

Who is they?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Back in 94, I was horseback riding up around the Bluett Pass area in Washington State and was being followed by a cow elk about 30 foot behind me, her head was hanging down, swinging back and forth and drooling excessively. Didn't think much of it at the time. But later after reading about CWD started wondering what if? A year latter the Washington State Game Dept. had a info booth at the fair and I talked to a lady there about my elk sighting and she got a strange look on her face and then said "Oh we don't have that in our state and that doesn't sound like CWD".

But I have always wondered, and it could be in many more states.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve seen one, right in the epicenter of where it started north of Fort Collins, Colorado. We were hunting pheasant and a good buck jumped up fropm the tall grass and was wobbly and disoriented. He was slobbering and then ran into the reservoir that was next to him and drowned. It was disturbing.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a 2.5 year old doe last summer during our crop damage hunting that was tested positive for CWD. She looked and acted normal, would have never known that she was infected with the disease.

JD338

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My mule deer buck from this fall was CWD positive. The area i hunter is testing right around 50% for cwd positive deer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JD338
I shot a 2.5 year old doe last summer during our crop damage hunting that was tested positive for CWD. She looked and acted normal, would have never known that she was infected with the disease.

JD338

Did you throw the meat out? Do you have every deer tested that you shoot and do you have to pay for it?

I'm in PA and it's close to my area but not quite here yet. Just thinking that if I had to have every deer I shot tested at my expense I think I'd quit hunting them. Even if the state agreed to test them all for free it'd really suck taking the time to butcher one and freeze it just to throw it out if it came back having CWD.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by brayirish

You CAN donate your deer (to Share the Harvest) if shot in a known CWD county in Missouri. Not every processor can accept the deer, only those processors approved to handle deer in CWD counties. My county in Missouri became a CWD county 2 years ago. I have donated five deer taken from that county to Share the Harvest. The approved processor will submit the lymph nodes for testing. If the results are negative, the deer will be processed and used for Share the Harvest. While the testing is being conducted, the approved processor will hold the deer in a cooler (refrigerated truck). In my county, the CWD cases are confined to a small area which is about 20 miles or more from my land. The MO Dept of Conservation is doing a good job of managing/controlling CWD in my county. This past year, there were no cases of CWD detected in the hundreds or thousands of deer tested in my county.

Last edited by boltgunjim; 02/24/19.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I’ve seen one, right in the epicenter of where it started north of Fort Collins, Colorado. We were hunting pheasant and a good buck jumped up fropm the tall grass and was wobbly and disoriented. He was slobbering and then ran into the reservoir that was next to him and drowned. It was disturbing.

Indian creek?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DW, yup.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JTman

JD338

Did you throw the meat out? Do you have every deer tested that you shoot and do you have to pay for it?

I'm in PA and it's close to my area but not quite here yet. Just thinking that if I had to have every deer I shot tested at my expense I think I'd quit hunting them. Even if the state agreed to test them all for free it'd really suck taking the time to butcher one and freeze it just to throw it out if it came back having CWD.

That deer was disposed of. We debone everything and keep it separate, marked and frozen until we get test results back from the DNR. It's a PITA but we deal with it. This was the first deer on the farm to be positive CWD so now the DNR will issue unlimited tags for either sex to wipe out the herd.

JD338

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

JD338

That deer was disposed of. We debone everything and keep it separate, marked and frozen until we get test results back from the DNR. It's a PITA but we deal with it. This was the first deer on the farm to be positive CWD so now the DNR will issue unlimited tags for either sex to wipe out the herd.

JD338

Wow, wipe out the herd? So do you pay for the tests or does DNR?

Thanks for the info. Here is a post I made on another CWD thread last week or so that may interest you and anyone else that didn't see it:

They're saying some developments have been made recently regarding CWD. Apparently it's not Prions causing the disease (they're a by product) it's actually a bacteria called spiroplasma (sp?). Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=392569494641067

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nebraska wiped out everything in 2 western counties in 2000-2001 open season, no limits due to CWD. Didn’t work.

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, 6mmbrfan, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.