Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Need to put one on my old hammer shotgun for length and recoil,what do you guys find to be the best........Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like limbsaver. I have several to increase length of pull. If hunting in cold weather with lots of clothes I take the pad off. I even have them on a couple .22 rimfires.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Leather as anything else will make an old hammer gun look like chit.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Pachmayr Decelerator slip on. I have one . I used it on my 375 Ruger Hawkeye & have put it on my wife's 12 gauge for turkey season. It takes out a lot of the recoil. I've cut the stock on my wife's shotgun to 13 1/2" to fit her. She's a small frame woman. On the Ruger I just put it over the factory Red Recoil Pad. It adds a little length. Not to bad--I didn't have to adjust the Leupold scope. Still have the field of view when I mount the rifle.
Bob

Last edited by colorado bob; 02/22/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Search under “ the leatherman traditional leather products” and find his leather recoil pad. It’s the best looking, hand made (ie traditional appearing) pad extension i know of. There are some well made factory leather ones on amazon but they look “new” or modern.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks to all for the great info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a pachmayr slip on for a rifle, a ruger Hawkeye with wood stock. It surprised me how good the rifle looked with it. One problem though....the plastic top shoulder of the pad wouldnt allow me to lean the gun barrel up on against a vertical surface where the butt dat on a slick finish such as a countertop...as the butt end would slide out from under the gun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I purchased a pachmayr slip on for a rifle, a ruger Hawkeye with wood stock. It surprised me how good the rifle looked with it. One problem though....the plastic top shoulder of the pad wouldnt allow me to lean the gun barrel up on against a vertical surface where the butt dat on a slick finish such as a countertop...as the butt end would slide out from under the gun.

There is a very good reason for that!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Haven't tried a bunch of them, but I do have a couple of the pachmayr decelerator slip ons and they seem very nice to me. The brown one looks ok on older guns, in my opinion anyway.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I ended up with a bear tooth to see if it works ok,the fit is perfect now just waiting on shells to pattern.If it works out I will get the leathermen for this old hammer gun and under 6 lbs. this gun was brutal without any kind of pad.......Thanks everyone

IC B3

B
B
I own around 15 old SxSs and use both the leather ones and the brown Pachmayr Decelerator. I also have cut 1/4" leather to fit inside so any length can be made up. I went through a phase where I thought only leather would do. Even cut off the Velcro and installed a nice looking snap. Now it only fits one gun. That was a smart move. The Pachmayr pads are the best. They have a longer top so it stays in place better. And the rubber does not deteriorate like other ones do. Someone tells you the rubber one doesn't look right, then tell em not to look till you're done shooting and you can take it off. It's your gun. I also use to install 1 1/2" recoil pads that fit in the summer, but in the winter were too long. Now I just leave the stock alone and slide on a Pachmeyr.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.