Hop To
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I find it interesting the popularity increase in the 10mm over the 44mag for bear defense. I've spoken to one man who got munched by a sow grizzly in 2015 - he managed to change her mind with 5 point-blank shots from his S&W329. The attack lasted seconds and he survived with a torn up left arm.
The 329 is much lighter than the G20, and there's no time to take advantage of the 16 round capacity.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you think foot pounds of energy or bullet penetration was key in that attack? Does any reasonable packable handgun carry enough energy to turn a big bear? Or is it deep penetration of projectiles that breaks the skull or neck vertebrae, or drives deep enough to disrupt vital tissue that does the job?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
Do you think foot pounds of energy or bullet penetration was key in that attack? Does any reasonable packable handgun carry enough energy to turn a big bear? Or is it deep penetration of projectiles that breaks the skull or neck vertebrae, or drives deep enough to disrupt vital tissue that does the job?

The authorities never recovered the bear, but they didn't use dogs either. So the damage is speculation. What I know is that hollow-points were used and the bear let go immediately. The revolver muzzle was against the bear. It was fall, so fat bear (sow with yearling cubs). Don't know anything beyond that. I can only speculate how things might have gone if heavy WFN were used.

I don't think the Glock would fire more than once pressed against the bear.

Last edited by dla; 02/25/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of variables there regarding if a semi auto would function. You can't press it hard enough against an object to push it out of battery. Plus at the back end the slide has to be able to do its thing. With that said, close combat with semi auto handguns isn't anything new. People have been grappling and ground fighting for a long time with various semi auto pistols. Surely some situations have been won and lost and techniques have been developed for just exactly that situation. It is an interesting subject.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen more than one Bear,at one time and the LAST fhuqking thing I'd want is a Smith 329.

The Grock has 2.5 wheels of ammo in it and is likely to ACTUALLY get fhuqking used for Practice/Fun...which has yet to hurt production.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
You can't press it hard enough against an object to push it out of battery.

True if you're only pushing on the barrel. But if you push a Glock against something squishy, it will go out of battery easily. I love Glocks, but that big square slide has a disadvantage. It is certainly easy to tie up a revolver, but not by shoving it into a bear's gut.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've seen more than one Bear,at one time and the LAST fhuqking thing I'd want is a Smith 329.

The Grock has 2.5 wheels of ammo in it and is likely to ACTUALLY get fhuqking used for Practice/Fun...which has yet to hurt production.

Hint................
Why is a Smith 329 the last thing you'd want? Have you ever shot a bear with a handgun? If so, what was the handgun? Have you ever deployed a handgun against a bear in defense? If so, what handgun? Thanks in advance.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread is in keeping with just how fugking stupid dla is.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There is some contraption that can be installed on a Glock that prevents it from going out of battery. Or you can use a mounted flashlight .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Hint................
Why is a Smith 329 the last thing you'd want? Have you ever shot a bear with a handgun? If so, what was the handgun? Have you ever deployed a handgun against a bear in defense? If so, what handgun? Thanks in advance.

I've killed more schit than Smallpox...though admittedly,I've never seen a Bear or a Pistole.

Jeezus Gawd you Drooling STUPID Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

Congratulations?!?.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread is in keeping with just how fugking stupid dla is.

Shutdown on grindr again?

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Regarding carrying a G20 for grizzly defense: what is the fascination with carrying lots of ballistically inferior rounds?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's nothing "magical' in the 10mm round,but the G20 melding connects alotta dots by default. It is utterly reliable,cheap to shoot,weathers well,recoil is a good trade to performance and you can load on Monday and shoot 'til Sunday.

I haven't had a GOOD Bear Charge in 4 months. Didn't haveta' shoot but it was close(5' or so). Had an adjustable sighted 317 in my mitts,wearing CT grips. Middle of the day,but poor lighting due Jungle Density. Didn't know she had a Cub and we simply bumped into each other,in the tanglefoot. Had it been a brownie,I'd of triple tapped a forehead and walked away...but I figured I could bark her away and did. Though admittedly,I only encounter 100's a year.

Barked her up a tree,after she got her Cub to go first.

[Linked Image]

Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m packing a G20 in a Gunfighters Inc chest holster, stocked the glock with 200 hc Underwood bullets. I went with the G20 after several years carrying a Redhawk with 5.5” snout in 44mag for meat recover/hauling. I shoot a pistol a lot better, faster, and more accurately that a large frame magnum revolver...I will take more hits than less on a bear deciding I’m a problem. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Regarding carrying a G20 for grizzly defense: what is the fascination with carrying lots of ballistically inferior rounds?

You probably need a CNS hit to stop the bear and the 10MM offers enough penetration to punch through the head.

I carried a 329PD for a few years but with full power BB 305s there was no way to shoot it from retention.

I switched to 270gr Gold Dots @ 1050fps for a while and it killed deer pretty well.

Got a G20 a few years back and that's what I carry when I will be out of town.

Easier to hit with than the 329 shooting DA for me with enough terminal performance.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’m packing a G20 in a Gunfighters Inc chest holster, stocked the glock with 200 hc Underwood bullets. I went with the G20 after several years carrying a Redhawk with 5.5” snout in 44mag for meat recover/hauling. I shoot a pistol a lot better, faster, and more accurately that a large frame magnum revolver...I will take more hits than less on a bear deciding I’m a problem. 😎

I've never heard of 'em,might you have a picture?

Thanks.

LAUGHING!...........

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never figured out how guys keep their carry guns in like new condition.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You remain at the mercy of your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". New wares,tend to look new. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The LAST thing I'd wanna do,is scratch a finish or mar something up!

[Linked Image]

Not that I don't enjoy your Fence Hopping "Adventures". Hint.

Bless your heart.

LAUGHING!............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I've never heard of 'em,might you have a picture?

Thanks.

LAUGHING!...........

[Linked Image]

I prefer a real world users perspective rather than a picture of a table showing wares that some will only wear strutting around their domicile looking at themselves in a mirror, thinking? If I was only a real hunter, with real pards to hunt with, legally. I could wear this outside...Just saying 😎

[Linked Image]

Stuffed with Underwood hard cast makes decent bear medicine, especially for Black Faced Bears

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Beaver10; 02/26/19.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Compelling.

LOTSA "use"on that "system",at the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!............

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.