Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
We've done jetboat on the Snake from eastern WA. Fun.

A week would have to include travel from AK. Lots to see, just trying to focus a trip.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sand dunes around Florence Oregon are really cool especially if you drive from north to get there.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I done big segments on the Oregon coast. Really can't add anything to what's been said. Slow going, but the scenery is awesome.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you're coming down via I5, vs a ferry from Victoria, I'd suggest hitting Hwy 20 at Burlington and coming thru Whidbey Island to get to Port Townsend/101. Deception Pass is awesome and you would avoid the hell that is Seattle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Do NOT hit SF Through Santa Cruz during commute times, HWY South becomes gridlocked, you will sit for an hour. Between Santa Cruz and Monterey, is Moss Landing, you can't miss the power stacks and harbor, Phil's out on the Island is a cool place, good food, but avoid at lunch hour, it fills up, line out the the door. There is a Phil's sandwich Shop right behind the highway, but the main Phil's is on the Island over the bridge.

I have driven it from north of San Fran, up to Port Angeles WA multiple times...

this is to just do it for the scenery and leisure, no rush...

I always enjoy it....plenty to do and see anywhere along with way....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We drove the PCH (mostly 1 and some 101) from SD to the top of WA a few years back. There are quite a few interesting places to stop and see - do that to gain the most enjoyment and learning - and it will take at least a week, probably more You will see a bunch of fabulous scenery, but, as already noted, the 30 or 40 miles coming up to SF through Pacifica to the GG Bridge was by far the bad part of the entire drive.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There would be some fog and plenty of rain this time of year...
I tries several times my motorcycle and gave up in the summer as the campers and boats just drag on...I hit it good one time .it was just after the gas took a big jump...I think it was 2003 maybe...I had my speed triple...there was no one on the road and wether was perfict...I went from gig harbor all the way down to northern cal. And back on a weekend trip...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Do NOT hit SF Through Santa Cruz during commute times, HWY South becomes gridlocked, you will sit for an hour. Between Santa Cruz and Monterey, is Moss Landing, you can't miss the power stacks and harbor, Phil's out on the Island is a cool place, good food, but avoid at lunch hour, it fills up, line out the the door. There is a Phil's sandwich Shop right behind the highway, but the main Phil's is on the Island over the bridge.

I have driven it from north of San Fran, up to Port Angeles WA multiple times...

this is to just do it for the scenery and leisure, no rush...

I always enjoy it....plenty to do and see anywhere along with way....

I started after Oakland, on my way to Alaska in 2008, no way in hell would I continue south. I drove I5 all the way to the exit to Oakland. That's another story that drive. Anyhow once you get to Oakland turnaround and go back up..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I can only speak for CA, below San Francisco, you would want to switch over to HWY1 which is scenic, below San Fran, 101 continues inland through Silicon Valley, nothing special to see the rest of the way down, Hwy 1 takes you along the coast. Slower for sure, but ocean views most of the way.

Hwy 1 will take you through Half Moon Bay, stop for lunch at Sam's right along the coast, lobster sandwich and chowder is killer! Santa Cruz..keep on driving, leftard breeding ground, but there is the Municipal Wharf and Boardwalk.. through Montery you have a nice aquarium and lunch on Fisherman's Wharf, Hearst Castle along the way further south, spectacular views through Big Sur.

Yes CA hwy 1 is a must see.

Have seen probably 90% of the coast from Mexico to the the NW tip of Washington, have rode from Crescent City CA. to Long Beach WA. and beyond on a motorcycle.
I would probably go west at Longview WA, cross the bridge into Astoria OR. and then south.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IronB, check this out, happened today on the south Oregon coast-

https://ktvl.com/news/local/highway-101-closed-near-brookings-due-to-massive-slide

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fireball2
IronB, check this out, happened today on the south Oregon coast-

https://ktvl.com/news/local/highway-101-closed-near-brookings-due-to-massive-slide

Might need 4x4.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
For a week, not having done this before, please suggest a segment best for 5-7 days in case I don't do it again.

With stops to enjoy local sights and attractions.

Thought in my OP was too much to do, so I'll bump this revised question.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For a week, not having done this before, please suggest a segment best for 5-7 days in case I don't do it again.

With stops to enjoy local sights and attractions.

Thought in my OP was too much to do, so I'll bump this revised question.

Me personally, I wouldn't go any further south then maybe Avenue of the Giants, but I hate cities.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A bit biased as I have driven much of 101 probably 100 times. Drop dead beautiful areas in Nor Cal and north to WA. Not sure you can do it justice in one week. This is over 800 miles just in Calif and you will eat up time going through the urban areas near SF and SoCal. Some wonderful areas in central coast between these but in one week I would spend it from north of SF and on up into WA.

Ferndale, near Eureka is great as are the giant Redwoods and Fern park area with elk. As noted the Somoa cookhouse is a treat. I have never had a bad meal there and for years I had family living in that area. ( http://www.samoacookhouse.net/ & https://www.yelp.com/biz/samoa-cookhouse-samoa.) Open 7 days a week from 7 am to 9pm and you won't leave hungry. You won't be eating alone either. The coastal area of OR is also wonderful and wild. This part of the west coast will give you a better perspective than just what we know and read of the crowded city areas. Most of Calif, OR, WA are wilderness and farmland. Just the massive number of people living condensed in their enclaves that seem out of place to me.

Whatever you decide, I expect you will enjoy the trip and the experience!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,608
Posts18,473,753
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.