Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I had to let my Oehler P35 chrono go years ago do to hardship. I'm looking to get another chrono but can't afford what they are asking for them today. Looking for suggestions. I really don't need one that prints just looking for reliability.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
For $100 or so, a ProChrono PAL offers repeatable results, and mine has held up well. A Shooting Chrony did not.

I've heard folks speak well of LabRadar & others, but I believe they head up the price scale a bit.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My Magneto speed is a total POS, I could not recommend that one. Labradar picks up other's shots at my range (Ben Avery) but think that may be the cry once option if you are not shooting at a too crowded range and/or private range.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a ProChrono Digital (about $125) and a Magneto Speed Sporter (about $200) for when I don't want to fiddle setting up the ProChrono down range. Both work fine and I would buy them again. If $ were no object you could talk me into the LabRadar.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I used a CED millennium, magnetospeed and labradar. Labradar is by far my favorite. I'm up and running in 2 minutes. No more srri g up screens, ir lights, battry packs etc. They were all incremental improvements over what I had so if my budget didnt allow, I could back to them as they were all reliable units.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by peeshooter
My Magneto speed is a total POS, I could not recommend that one. Labradar picks up other's shots at my range (Ben Avery) but think that may be the cry once option if you are not shooting at a too crowded range and/or private range.

I assume you've adjusted the trigger type and settings? I had a guy 2 benches over shooting an ar and an AK and never picked one up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No I only ask the guys that are using them how they like them, and that is the response I get EVERY time.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two Magnetospeeds and really like them for what they are: a method to accurately measure the velocity of a round. I use it when working up a load to make certain I'm not going into a dangerous pressure situation. Is it perfect? No, but then all chrony's have their problems.

If what you are wanting to do is measure velocity on a given cartridge and you don't care for the 2 box set ups many have, the Sporter version of the MS may fit the bill. Available from Amazon or most online retailers for around $180 bucks.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Lab radar and a ProChrono

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by peeshooter
No I only ask the guys that are using them how they like them, and that is the response I get EVERY time.

I bet they did not adjust them accordingly. Ive had mine on the least sensitive setting since I bought it and have been within 20 yards of up to 8 other shooters with no issues. Only time Ive had to adjust it is for suppressed 22s

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm about to order the ProChrono DLX. The DLX model has Bluetooth built in. Runs about $130.

R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Thanks for the heads up!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I volunteer as range safety officer at a 100 meter rifle range. No one is allowed forward of the benches, so that leaves MagnetoSpeed and Labradar chronographs. MagnetoSpeeds work well when the muzzle to bayonet distance is near 2" and the sensitivity is set properly for the rifle. No muzzle brakes or flash hiders.
Labradar has problems indoors, but can be adjusted to work there. But it takes a call to Labradar to learn how to change the default settings (should be in the instructions but isn't).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norske
I volunteer as range safety officer at a 100 meter rifle range. No one is allowed forward of the benches, so that leaves MagnetoSpeed and Labradar chronographs. MagnetoSpeeds work well when the muzzle to bayonet distance is near 2" and the sensitivity is set properly for the rifle. No muzzle brakes or flash hiders.
Labradar has problems indoors, but can be adjusted to work there. But it takes a call to Labradar to learn how to change the default settings (should be in the instructions but isn't).

Well who puts up and changes targets?

Swifty
R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by norske

Sounds way too controlled

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Shooting Chrony that I bought ten yrs. ago. Mine works fine on cloudy days, not so well on bright sunny days. I only use it in the back yard when working up loads. It doesn’t go to the range. I verify it with factory ammo and 22 LR every year. I’ll probably go to the Pro Chrono when I replace it. I would love to have a 35 but..............

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I upgraded from a Chrony to the CED M2 several years ago. Am very happy with the M2.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’ve been running a shooting chrony for a long long time. Works great in clouds, works great in the sun with the shades, and works great indoors with the appropriate light attachments.

I’ve verified it enough against other chronographs to trust it

GOD Bless America
R
Roystu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I picked up a ProChrony Digital on the classified forum. Seems like a easy system. We'll see how it works next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.