Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
There are a lot of them, books on hitting. Problem is people that believe shooting before season is just a waste of good ammo.
I personall know two guys this season that shot deer over bait at 65-70 yrds with their 06`s. Both found blood, but not the deer. What the he-- do you call that?

Clearly they need bigger guns to increase the margin for less than perfect shots, right? grin

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My experience is that an ounce of over-gunned is far worse. Have seen it many times, probably because my job has allowed me to observe many other hunters in action.

In "Just Enough Gun" I describe one of those other hunters, a guy from Lichtenstein who was one of the other hunters in camp on a multi-species horsepack hunt in northern British Columbia. He'd hunted with the outfitter before for Stone sheep using a rifle in 7x64 Brenneke, essentially a .280 Remington, taking his ram with one shot. But this time he was after caribou, elk and moose. He somehow believed a bigger gun was necessary for the elk and moose, so left the 7x64 at home and brought a brand-new .300 Winchester Magnum. His first 3-shot group at 100 yards from the camp benchrest measured around 18 inches, and while things improved slightly after that, he took over 20 shots to kill his caribou, elk and moose.

Quite a few hunters start to flinch at .300 magnum lever recoil. This is not just my experience but that of several outfitters and guides I've encountered. One is John Stuver of Broadus, Montana, who says about 20% of his mule deer hunters who show up with a .300 magnum can't consistently kill a buck at 200 yards. Often the .300 is new, like the Lichtenstein hunter's, because they somehow think the .243., 270 or .308 they usually hunt whitetails with back home isn't enough for mule deer in open country. Another long-time African PH I knew, Finn Aaagard, was a little more generous, saying 2/3 of clients who brought a .300 magnum didn't shoot their rifle well.

On that BC hunt I brought a .300 Winchester Magnum and a 9.3x62 Mauser. Killed my moose with one shot from the 9.3, and a 6x6 elk with one shot from the .300. (Never saw a caribou I wanted.) But since then all my elk have been shot with smaller cartridges, and they killed just as well, and another western Canadian moose taken with the 7x57 went about five more yards than the 9.3x62 bull.

Hunters should use whatever rifle they feel confident with, but my experience is that "confidence" in a larger, harder-kicking cartridge is often misplaced--especially when a hunter headed on his first Big Trip away from home takes the advice of his buddies, who often have never hunted elk or African plains game, but have heard about how tough they are.

I have yet to see a vast difference in how most big game cartridges kill such game, as long as the shot's put in the right place, both in North America and Africa, and with today's bullets angling shots aren't a problem either, or breaking shoulders. In fact, the longer I observe other hunters, the more I'm convinced most don't differentiate between shoulder and behind-the-shoulder shots when describing the effects of various cartridges, and tend to choose examples of shoulder shots when describing the terrific killing power of their favorite round.

I also know RinB very well, and wonder about the intent of his question, partly because I know he's killed considerable BIG game with the .270 Winchester.

Originally Posted by RinB
I started this discussion to hear the various points of view. The responses mirror thoughts that I have had at different times in my “career”. Over the last few years my views have changed a lot. I have also had to review my own prejudices. Remember, a prejudice is but a thought that has gotten “hard” based on experience or knowledge or, dare I say, ignorance. We humans tend to defend our own point of view “just because”.

I have used a 270 with 130 bullets on a large number of critters with reputations for being tough. I have watched lots of guys use big 30’s and larger on the same animals. The single biggest variable was marksmanship. I used something that either helped me or at least didn’t hinder me.

I used to have a strong preference for monolithic bullets but that has changed. I still pick them for hunting African plains game because the conditions there favor full penetration (herd animals and hard ground and thick cover). Today I have proven to myself that lead core bullets are more likely to produce DRT.

I used to want lots of velocity but now I will “give up” some velocity for very high bc bullets. I used to want 3100 but today, with the right bullet, I am good with 2700. Humm...who wrote something about the magic of 2700?

Marksmanship (ie shot placement) rules all else if combined with a reasonably designed bullet. As a bonus, as muzzle velocities drop, more bullets meet the “reasonably designed” standard. Start a bullet slower and it performs better and if it has a very high bc, that better performance window is extended over a long range.

So the primary question is: does my combination of cartridge, rifle, and bullet help my marksmanship?

Solid gold stuff here, and in my much more limited experience (50 African animals, a few hundred head of big game here in the US, guiding maybe 150 hunters over the past 15 years), I could not agree more. I will admit I've changed my tune over the past 6-8 years too, migrating from a 7mag to predominately using a 7-08 and lately the 6.5CM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RickF
An observation made while smiling.

There are two times that the terms “energy” and “sectional density” come into the conversation. One, in this conversation. The other? Is a 223 large enough to kill a deer.

Put a suitable bullet in the right place… it expands, penetrates. And doesn’t kersplode. grin Animal dies.

Sectional density is meaningless. Energy same.

Amen... Rick nailed it.

Don’t look for us to give you an excuse RickD, we all know you’re going to do it and think “what was all the fuss about” grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor solved that situation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tack
I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor solved that situation.

I wondered how long it would take for that. (Although I expected it not to be tongue-in-cheek.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In keeping with the "enough gun" theory (and I think MD is familiar with what I am about to relate), Craig Boddington wrote he missed a chance at the biggest kudu in his life (and keep in mind the man has over 150(!) safaris under his belt), because at the last minute, the animal only gave him a straight going away shot (AKA Texas heart shot) and he was "only" toting an 06. He goes onto say, had he been carrying a 375, the shot would have been a "no brainer." Maybe he was using "old" bullets, for certainly a 180 TTSX would in my opinion done the job, but there it is... I still stand by my opinion that a 300 is better suited for elk than a 6.5. It's an OPINION folks...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
JG, you mean to tell me you CAN teach an old dog new tricks??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shiny New Big Guns are for duffers on Big Hunts. Real hunters shoot light cartridges and are deadly with them.

LOL
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
More than enough for me is:

30-06, 200gr partitions, conus.
338 WM, 250gr partitions, Alaska.
375 H&H, 300gr Partitions, Africa.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Do you think loonies ponder this question so we can convince ourselves we need to purchase another one?

Definition of looney: I purchased a 358 Norma Mag because I have no need for it and it was a great deal.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I used to want lots of velocity but now I will “give up” some velocity for very high bc bullets. I used to want 3100 but today, with the right bullet, I am good with 2700. Humm...who wrote something about the magic of 2700?

IIRC, he wanted the title to be “2,700 or bust!”

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So there is the book USE ENOUGH GUN. That phrase is usually interpreted as meaning “more is better” or “bigger is better”.

I have generally observed that there is a direct correlation between the distance travelled or the price of the trip and the size of the cartridge. Example: traveling to Africa the bwana needs a 300 RUM for the same game on which the locals use 243’s and 308’s.

Draw a desert sheep permit and the lucky hunter now “must have” a 26 Nosler rather than the 243AI which he has used to knock off many pronghorns and mule deer. It takes a big desert sheep to be as big as a mature mule deer.

At SCI and DSC and Wild Sheep there is a big demand for 28 Nosler’s and 300 PRC’s and 300 Ultra’s. These guys are not uninformed or dummies but the drive to get a bigger “enough” cartridge is substantial.

Your thoughts.

Originally Posted by jwall
I'd rather have MORE than enuff than......

just not quite enuff, or almost enuff.

Jerry

MORE'S LAW...

If some's good, and more's better, then Too Much is Just Enough. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I believe the old saying went something like "Beware the man with one gun, etc". In the past 30 some years I've done the bulk of my hunting with a 300mag. Prior to that I tried about everything from the 243 clear thru the 375 H&H to hunt deer, elk, antelope and varmints.When I finally got around to getting a 300 Win mag things changed, it shot great and didn't belt me into tomorrow, and boy did it put things on the ground right now! About this time I started hunting a lot, and that 300 came along on virtually every trip. Killed my share of most everything on license and never once had a 300 in my hands and wished for something different. For me, it's proven to be the single best cartridge I've ever used and one I have the utmost confidence in. I never had to try it but my old buddy Allen Day even shot 2 cape buffalo with his 300 after his 458 developed problems while on safari. I used larger calibers on dangerous game where mandated by law or the stern advice from the outfitter but except for those species I've killed virtually everything with the 300s. Many deer, elk and antelope have fallen to smaller calibers as well, in particular the 270, but when the chips are down or the big money has been spent on a far away hunt, there's no question which rifle I'll reach for. I don't care if others want to shoot 30/06s or 270s or any other cartridge, they all work in the right hands. I just never bonded with any of them like I did with the 300.

Last edited by John55; 02/28/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Do you think loonies ponder this question so we can convince ourselves we need to purchase another one?

Definition of looney: I purchased a 358 Norma Mag because I have no need for it and it was a great deal.

FYI, I had one for a while and Big Game was all I ended up using for bullets from the 200 gr TTSX all the way up to the 275 gr Woodleigh.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread so far.

These days the biggest round I use is my 35 Whelen for big stuff and backing up bear hunters. I use mostly 200-225 gr bullets now and rarely ever use 250's anymore. My experience with the 270 Win in the last 4 years or so since getting my first one is it isn't that much different than the Whelen on bears so far. It works great. I was going to get a 300 WSM for a light mountain gun the more I think about it it's going to be a 270 WSM or even a 6.5 PRC instead. If someone comes out with a left hand gun in the 6.5 PRC that's what it will end up being.. Either of those two will be able to kill anything from small deer up to moose and do it with mild recoil.

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
JG, you mean to tell me you CAN teach an old dog new tricks??

I'm living proof, in spite of my stubborn, hardheadedness. I still use my 7mags, just not near as much.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
I'd rather have MORE than enuff than......

just not quite enuff, or almost enuff.

I've read ALL this thread.

There's more to it than 'confidence'..... being COMFORTABLE with you rifle/cartridge mean a lot too.

IF as MD says "an ounce of over-gunned is far worse" (P 4), it would seem "to me" the hunters were NOT comfortable with their combo.

It doesn't matter to me AT ALL if a fellow hunts all his game with a .223, that's fine and dandy.

I am confident and COMFORTABLE with my rifles/cartridges.

I will never go hunting with ALMOST ENUFF gun.
I choose to be over gunned. My sig line hasn't changed in quite a while.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/28/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

What sort of big game have you seen taken, with what cartridges?

In other words, how do you know what is "ALMOST ENUFF" gun?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a 308 Norma mag in a light Springfield 1903 action. The bolt on recoil hits my hand so I can't get comfortable with it. It groups but it hurts.

I don't hunt with it because I am askeerd of it.

Don't hunt with a gun you are timid about.

But if you are green or inexperienced, follow common sense rules about sectional density in cup and core bullets, and velocity on impact with monolithics IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Two other thoughts:

1. Jeff Cooper said “load a handgun for power, load a rifle for accuracy “.

2. Even a 300 Savage is flat enough to 300 yards.

And Col. Whelen said “only accurate rifles are interesting”.

I’ve always thought that way and weeded out all the rifles that weren’t what I consider accurate. But the level of accuracy I want is based on what a rifle is intended to be used for. What is accurate enough for elephant or buffalo at 25-50 yards might not be nearly good enough for Grant’s gazelle or springbok at 200! Because of that I can’t completely agree with Cooper in this quote as there are hunts for extra large and dangerous game where I’ll take power over supreme accuracy every time.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,213 guests, and 668 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.