Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
We always cut an X in the tip.Worked about the same

.......Same here... Learned that one from some old timers back in the 1960's. That's what they did back in the pre-WWII days.

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thats a pretty large hp.

I am not happy with the large hole HPs Federal started putting in their 22 mag ammo several years ago. They seem to lose accuracy and often put keyholes in paper at over 100 yds out of my Win 9422mag, Shrap.

100 yards? I have a Hornet for those kind of shots...

You did notice i said 22 Mag.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rickt300
The luckiest shot I have ever seen made was with an old Remington pump and a 22 Long, first try and it was a miracle!

i shot a dove out of the air at about 100 yds. can't get much luckier than that !
don't have any idea if it was a hollow-point !

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 02/28/19.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bet after drilling out that .22 Long, they will zip right along! wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I bet after drilling out that .22 Long, they will zip right along! wink

Agreed.....It's certainly worth a try since HP Longs aren't available.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
What's the advantage? The long rifle HP that I buy for @ $20 a brick seems to kill prairie dogs just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah Hah! laugh

This proves that people snowed in for a while go stir-crazy. crazy crazy

wink

BTW, have a new boat for us to try when the snow melts and the fish get hot.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Ah Hah! laugh

wink

July???

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Haven't seen .22 Longs on the shelf since the early 70s and they were scarce then..

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
technology continues to advance along. we humans mark the changes, and adapt as we are interested.

a flattened .22 rf tip could hit pretty hard. i think federal markets them as a small game ammo.

i have shot longs, but they cost as much as the long rifles, so i was forced to choose.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those look good.
Hunting season closed in TN today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Ah Hah! laugh

wink

July???

If then... Talked to Gary MacDonald at MacDonald's Marina today about pulling my boat out. He just laughed and said "fine, if you can find the ramp". It was still snowing.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
off-topic, but i really don't know why we have a system of hunting seasons anymore?

i mean, most folks no longer hunt, and those that do don't eat what they shoot.

pay some license fees to the gov't, and follow the rules i reckon.

long .22 is good, looks like the market has moved to .22LR?

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I had Paco Kelly's version some years back, believe it got loaned out and not returned. Anyhow, we used to shoot gophers every weekend, there seemed to be an endless supply. I was never real impressed with standard hp .22 ammo, a good percentage of the gophers made it back down the hole. After using the Paco Kelly tool, the ammo was much more effective. The version I had came with two rods, one for hollowpointing a d one for doing a wide dished point. Both worked well, I used the HP rod most as it also widened the nose while making a wide deep hollowpoint. Far fewer runner with those bullets, wish I still had it....if we still had gophers to shoot I'd get another.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I had Paco Kelly's version some years back, believe it got loaned out and not returned. Anyhow, we used to shoot gophers every weekend, there seemed to be an endless supply. I was never real impressed with standard hp .22 ammo, a good percentage of the gophers made it back down the hole. After using the Paco Kelly tool, the ammo was much more effective. The version I had came with two rods, one for hollowpointing a d one for doing a wide dished point. Both worked well, I used the HP rod most as it also widened the nose while making a wide deep hollowpoint. Far fewer runner with those bullets, wish I still had it....if we still had gophers to shoot I'd get another.

I looked at that tool, but to pound on the bottom to drive the hollow point into the bullet didn’t seem very safe. This die, although it isn’t cheap, does work easy and quickly. I need to get some of these shot to see just how well they work...

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Looks bad azz!

I like RN rimfire ammo over HP though. Have seen better accuracy and the lead is usually soft enough to expand easily. My experience at least.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I looked at the .22 longs that I have, some are pretty old and some are newer, but none had a hollow point. I might have more upstairs in my main collection.

Shrapnel, Do you know if they EVER made HP .22 longs to your knowledge?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I looked at the .22 longs that I have, some are pretty old and some are newer, but none had a hollow point. I might have more upstairs in my main collection.

Shrapnel, Do you know if they EVER made HP .22 longs to your knowledge?

If they did, I never saw any. When I was a kid, I had a paper route and all my money went into 22 ammunition. Longs were cheaper than long rifles so we always bought 22 longs. Not only that, but you could get more rounds into a tube magazine with longs...

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I looked at that tool, but to pound on the bottom to drive the hollow point into the bullet didn’t seem very safe. This die, although it isn’t cheap, does work easy and quickly. I need to get some of these shot to see just how well they work...

Yeah I'll admit it made me a bit nervous, but I was younger then. I did thousands of rounds with it, flattened some out so much I had load them singly by hand, and somehow managed to never touch one off. The system you have looks WAY better, if the gophers ever make a comeback I'd invest in that.
I did use the real wide flat nose I made on some beavers too, might have just been my imagination but I sure felt like they worked much better than they did out of the box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AcesNeights;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the winter has abated somewhat in your part of the world and this finds you and yours well tonight.

I see that I am not the only 'Fire member who collects rimfire ammo - though perhaps there's not a whole lot more of us with what might be a somewhat unique ailment? wink

In particular I try to find Canuck made ammo and also some from different lands like Argentina or South Africa.

[Linked Image]

I too would have to go look to see if I've got any HP Longs, somehow I want to say I don't actually.

Up here across the medicine line it's been years, likely decades really, since I've run across longs in a store - oh other than CB Longs which I picked up maybe 20 - 25 years back.

Also to the OP that's a really cool setup shrapnel, I'd likely get one if I found one up here, just to see what happens if nothing else. cool

All the best to you all as we hopefully head sooner than later into warmer weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

723 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 3,307 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,310
Posts18,526,179
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.