Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I met Chuck Yeager and three of his squadron-mates from the 357th FG at an airshow in Clarksville, IN one time. All four of them were nice guys, and flew in in Mustangs, like they flew in WWII. It was great. I had Pete Petersen's book with me (Old Crow) and had all four of them sign it (Petersen was a better writer than Yeager, besides being one of Yeager's wingmen).

Yeager was always my hero growing up.. and into my adult life...

I met him at a small showing by the Civil Air Patrol in Crescent City, California...

he was fishing on the Smith River, so he made an appearance for the kids...

he was quite the man with the ladies, especially the older ones...

Typical southern Style...

Also met Ken Juerstadt, who was one of the Flying Tigers.. he also was speaking to a group
of Civil Air Patrol kids in Coos Bay Oregon... he was blind at the time...but still quite the jokester
and also the ladies' man...his eyes was a Golden Retriever.

Some of his stories and answers to questions about his Flying Tiger days, were quite entertaining..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seafire, You mention the Flying Tigers. My dad was personal friends with General Chennault ‘s son. They worked at a CCC Camp together. My dad spent several weekends at the Chennault home! My dad didn’t seem very excited about it....I thought it was unbelievable! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dean Martin circa 1971. In a bar. Bought me a drink.

DD, That was so succinct and truncated that I think there must be more in the trunk. Can you round out the tale a b bit? 🙂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe Theismann (Redskins - a super nice guy)
Sam Huff (Redskins & Giants - another nice guy)
Rick "Doc" Walker (Redskins - funny and very quick witted)
Diedrich Bader (from the Drew Carey Show - a very tall man)
Ronald and Nancy Reagan (while a sitting President - super nice)
Robert Duvall (seemed to keep to himself although his wife was very nice)
Suzy Bogguss (Country Music - a really nice lady)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some of these are old enough that they may not be known by lots of folks here.

I met John Hannah at a high school coaches clinic in 2004. At that time he was a high school coach. He is regarded as probably the best offensive lineman to ever play in the NFL by many for those who may not be familiar. A young 30 something college coach had just finished a presentation on proper pass blocking technique. Hannah stayed after the presentation and approached the young coach with a different technique that he thought better. The 2 ended up taking off their shoes and went through full speed pass blocking drills right there in the conference hall. Hannah was approaching 60 by then, but still appeared to be pretty good.

Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves former manager has a daughter and grandchildren who live near me. My wife taught his grand daughter. I ran into Bobby in our Home Depot parking lot one morning several years ago while he was still coaching. In fact they had a home playoff game later that day.

Met Ted Nugent at a Bob Barr fund raiser.

Ran into Steve Bartkowski ( former Falcons QB) at a Bass Pro Shop once.

I've known Arn Anderson (former pro wrestler) since 8th grade.

I personally know several former pro football players, but wouldn't classify them as major celebrities. Most were offensive linemen who played during the 70's -90's. But Ray Donaldson should be in the Hall of Fame. Seventeen years, 6 pro bowls, a Super Bowl ring. Ray and I played together for a couple of years, he is a classy guy.

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame...erves-a-hof-look-57LFzhzzGEGw7dj1G0dh8w/

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I went to UT El Paso my first semester in 1983, Seth Joyner was in my English class. He was just a long tall skinny black kid in those days and I would never have guessed he'd make it to the NFL and be a major force, but he surely did it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to see Robert Duvall all the time. Handsome old dude. Waitresses young and old melt all over him. His wife had their artwork framed at my cousins shop. My mom said she wouldn’t allow them to come there anymore unless he gave her a signed picture.

And yes, it’s hanging next to ones of me and my kids. Too damn funny....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I met this gentleman in Sioux City in 88. Not a chance encounter, Jiffy Lube was paying him to talk to folks like me that day.

George was sharp as a tack.[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by memtb
Seafire, You mention the Flying Tigers. My dad was personal friends with General Chennault ‘s son. They worked at a CCC Camp together. My dad spent several weekends at the Chennault home! My dad didn’t seem very excited about it....I thought it was unbelievable! memtb

After the war, Chennaualt dumped his wife and the mother of his eight children, and married a Chinese woman about a third of his age. His son might have been a bit peeved at his father They were practically destitute by that time.

Boyington had a very bad reputation amongst his fellow Flying Tigers, he spent most of his time drunk, or fugging up their difficult-to-get P-40s (his poor navigation and grandstanding wrecked five aircraft on one occasion, and only two were salvageable). When he left the AVG, he did NOT get a good referral afterwards, and had a hard time getting back into the Marine Corp, despite the desparate need. For all that, I'll refer you to the book : The Flying Tigers" by Sam Kleiner, Viking Press 2018. It's a good read.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
ratsmacker, My mother told me about his “dumping” his family......she had nothing nice to say about him!
My dad met and knew the son prior to the war, don’t know if they ever got together after the war. Seems to have gone their separate ways. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/03/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've met a few celebrities. I don't know how a person could live very long of a life without that happening.

I really don't remember too many of them. One thing that sticks out in my mind is one time in Jr. HS, a buddy called me and asked if I wanted to go to a donkey basketball game with the local pro football team vs our teachers. It got to be autograph time and I didn't have a pen or paper. Nothing. My friend chewed me out about missing this "opportunity". All I wanted to do was hang out & yuck it up.

Later in life, I sat at the same table for lunch as the kicker for that team. He was giving a speech for the local chamber of commerce. He was a nice guy.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold Cliff Claven of Cheers.. 2 big Rib Eye Steaks one day.
I met Nancy Bitch Pelosi face to face.

Proud NRA Life Member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I work in the heart of Gotham and routinely bump into such people. I like nothing more than making them feel ignored and unimportant..... Pretty much reflects what I think of them....:)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 99 of the celebs mentioned on this thread; I have no fuçking clue who they are. Maybe they are legends in yall's little fiefdoms.

I was gonna make up that I met some western movie star goober so the old fuggs would push a butt nugget out into their lazy boy recliners.

How bout this, I met Woody and Buzz Lightyear at universal studios.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was 5 or 6 years old and my aunt took us to the local courthouse to meet OH Gov. Gilligan. I remember being very confused that he was not wearing a red shirt and white hat.

Took a six week business trip to Japan in the early 90's and a lot of people thought I was Micheal J Fox. Some folks I met in Japan are probably on a forum telling about the time they met "MJF" right now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I sold Cliff Claven of Cheers.. 2 big Rib Eye Steaks one day.
I met Nancy Bitch Pelosi face to face.

I’m truly sorry that you had to experience an encounter with Pelosi, properly described as......”Encounters of the Worst Kind”! memtb

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 21 invisible), 15,075 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.