Originally Posted by memtb
Seafire, You mention the Flying Tigers. My dad was personal friends with General Chennault ‘s son. They worked at a CCC Camp together. My dad spent several weekends at the Chennault home! My dad didn’t seem very excited about it....I thought it was unbelievable! memtb

After the war, Chennaualt dumped his wife and the mother of his eight children, and married a Chinese woman about a third of his age. His son might have been a bit peeved at his father They were practically destitute by that time.

Boyington had a very bad reputation amongst his fellow Flying Tigers, he spent most of his time drunk, or fugging up their difficult-to-get P-40s (his poor navigation and grandstanding wrecked five aircraft on one occasion, and only two were salvageable). When he left the AVG, he did NOT get a good referral afterwards, and had a hard time getting back into the Marine Corp, despite the desparate need. For all that, I'll refer you to the book : The Flying Tigers" by Sam Kleiner, Viking Press 2018. It's a good read.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.