OK I am retired US Army so I did my share of traveling and bumping into celebs. A few of note and some were not military caused.

1973 sitting on the beach at Virginia Beach and some real freaky, grungy guys sit down on a blanket and play an X-rated version of Silvia's Mother. The next day the newspaper ran a story that Dr Hook played a pvt concert on the beach last night.

1976 Again Virginia Beach, I got a 58 day drop from Germany and went to visit my mother. We bought a 6-pack of Coors beer (Coors was not an east coast beer at that time) at a 7-11 for an ungodly price; probably could have bought two cases of Bud for that money. We were almost to my mother's and a tour bus parked at the motel near my mother's apartment, ZZ-Top! The first person off of the bus was a girl I knew from Pennsylvania, who was touring (groupie) with the band since they played in PA. Billy Gibbons got off and I offered him a Coors and he was delighted to have a Coors on the east coast. He said you have Coors? Come on up to the room with us.

1980 the current Chairman of the JCS, GEN Joe Dunford was my classmate in Ranger School. "Strike Hard Strike Fast Winter Rangers Freeze their Ass"

1986 met Brooke Shields outside of Rick's Lounge on Hay Street in Fayetteville, NC; man she is tall! She was at Pope AFB with Bob Hope for: "Hope at Pope, 40th Birthday of the Air Force" and wanted to check out a rowdy bar that G.I.'s frequented. She picked a friend of mine to ride her around the block on his Harley; gees I don't know why she didn't pick me as I was right there too!

1986 or 1987 I met Shifty Powers at the 101st Abn Div Reunion in Clarksville, TN. I was in the 82d and they took all former members of the 101st to Ft Campbell on 2 WV NG C-130 and we parachuted in on main post specifically for the WWII vets. Back then I did not know who Shifty Powers was, other than a WWII Paratrooper, which made him a hero in my book for that alone! He was so excited talking about watching us jump in. RIP brother!

2000 NRA Convention Philadelphia, I was in an elevator with Joe Foss, MOH Recipient, Marine WWII Ace, fmr Gov South Dakota, Host of The American Sportsman, and former NRA President. I just waved and acknowledge him respectfully, but he struck up a long conversation with me that continued all the way from the convention center to the hotel. A truly genuine hero and gentleman.

2002 I think? NRA Convention Charlotte. I ran into Peter Jennings nearly everyday. We were staying at the same hotel and apparently on the exact same schedule! We ate breakfast same time; same place. Walked to the Convention Site same route; same time. I acknowldged with a wave and greeting. Finally he had me eat lunch with him. I asked him straight up if he was a gun guy or just covering the convention. He said he was pro-gun but with some limits and that he was really just there not really covering the convention; there was no entourage and he wasn't constantly taking notes. RIP

Plenty more but we will save them for another day.

Last edited by sbrmike; 01/17/19. Reason: added Peter Jennings

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member