Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
If I was buying new, the quality issues with Rem lately would make me look real hard at the particular rifle before I threw down my coin. FN is doing a good job with Winchester and IMHO have the better quality at this time. If looking at used, it depends on when they were made.

I would be careful with that line of thought. They both put out plenty of Junk. Ive had several issues with both makers.

Like I said, bugs may need to be worked out with either one but they are both good guns and would serve a hunter or shooter well. Getting a perfect gun out of the box for less than 2 or 3 grand is the exception, not the rule in my experience.

Last edited by Quak; 03/04/19.

GOD Bless America
HR IC

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by pete53
i would rather buy a different brand rifle than a Remington 700 if you are going to be in extreme wet - cold weather and camping. reason Remington 700`s have a problem of freezing up in the bolt and firing pin gets froze ,rifle will not fire. it has happened to me and others in the mountains on pack hunts and in northern Minnesota callin coyotes at night. i also don`t like the way the bolt will just fall open on safety either when bumped when on a long pack hunt. but Remington does make a good accurate rifle and for a day hunt guy in warmer weather they work fine for that. for durability give me either a Winchester,Weatherby,Savage,Browning or a Ruger they do not freeze up as easy and these brands have a better safety system too.

Is this a joke? If you have a bolt "freezing up" its due to lack of maintenance or stupidity PERIOD. I don't care what the rifle in question is.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak
i would rather buy a different brand rifle than a Remington 700 if you are going to be in extreme wet - cold weather and camping. reason Remington 700`s have a problem of freezing up in the bolt and firing pin gets froze ,rifle will not fire. it has happened to me and others in the mountains on pack hunts and in northern Minnesota callin coyotes at night. i also don`t like the way the bolt will just fall open on safety either when bumped when on a long pack hunt. but Remington does make a good accurate rifle and for a day hunt guy in warmer weather they work fine for that. for durability give me either a Winchester,Weatherby,Savage,Browning or a Ruger they do not freeze up as easy and these brands have a better safety system too.

Is this a joke? If you have a bolt "freezing up" its due to lack of maintenance or stupidity PERIOD. I don't care what the rifle in question is.

Absolutely correct, but closed trigger systems (like the new "improved" (not) Model 70 trigger) are more prone to freezing. But a 700's bolt can get opened accidentally if the bolt catches on brush, etc. Our own Pugs experienced this on his first moose hunt where he hunted with a borrowed 700.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The factory trigger on both guns is less than ideal. I have no problem with enclosed triggers in general though and have not experienced any issues in 25+ years of using them. Id note that neither has the US Army and Marine Corps. They do need to be maintained however. I personally clean them out with lighter fluid once a year or whenever they come out of the stock. Enclosed triggers are the norm these days. They are used by Remington, Savage, Tikka, Winchester, Browning, Kimber. The list goes on and on. In the common guns, the only one I can think of that's "open" would be the 77s. Those triggers are pretty rotten and need some love to get proper imho though. Id be comfortable saying that if your triggers are failing due to freezing or debris intrusion, a new maintenance plan may be in order. I don't say this to be snotty. I hunt every year in temps well below 0F and have never had a single issue with Walker, Xmark, or a host of aftermarket enclosed triggers.

As far as the bolt opening...i suppose anything can happen but I personally like the ability to cycle the action with the safety on. If the 2 pos safety locked the bolt, i wouldn't be happy about it. As they say, different strokes. No right or wrong answer.

I mentioned to a older member at my club just last week that I preferred push feed guns and he looked at me like i just threw up on his shoes. It was pretty funny.

Last edited by Quak; 03/04/19.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing wrong with PF actions. As for the safety locking, as you say, a matter of preference...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No one can say that Remington 700's have been trouble free, as they did indeed go through a few years of problems. I had the bolt handle come off of the most expensive I've ever bought, an XCR Compact Tactical. I was very disappointed. But, every other Model 700 I've ever had has been trouble free and shot great.

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that Remington makes a lot of rifles, with the 700 being the most popular American made bolt action hunting rifle ever made. You make that many of something, and some of them are bound have flaws, it's just plain old math. Also, being the number one kid on the block is going to lead to other kids trying to knock you off, and if some of them can't beat you fair and square, they will resort to low tactics in order to do so. One way to do that is to start rumors about you, and in the case of the Model 700, that's exactly what has happened.

I will guarantee you that if the truth were ever known, 95% plus of those people who wrote and trashed the Remington 700, along with other of their firearms, never owned one, or if they did, only owned one or two. Now, that's okay, and is to be expected. It's no different than those who write and say that they've seen bullets from a 270 bounce off of an elk, whereas a 30-06 bullet went all they way through an elk, and killed a bear that was standing on the other side. No different than the people who are so in love with anything called a Creedmoor, that they think that anything else is obsolete.

All the while, those of us who own and use 700's just smile and keep shooting them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr

All the while, those of us who own and use 700's just smile and keep shooting them.

And call others who disagree on their veracity or names. Nothing wrong with your post had it been your initial one... 270 bounce iff an elk? link or hyperbole?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own around 15-20 Remington 700`s all are very accurate and are good rifles BUT ! if you have never hunted during extreme cold-snowy -wet weather in the mountains ,Alaska or Minnesota you have no ideal what small problems can happen with a rifle that may be a big problem when you need the rifle to work properly. do i trash Remington rifles no but i will never trust a Remington 700 in cold weather ever again. most people have no ideal about cold-wet weather hunting really is like, many rifle hunters on here wear a jacket when temp.is 70 ,at my home today it was 15 below at sunrise and that was just a average cold day ,here in Minnesota.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i own around 15-20 Remington 700`s all are very accurate and are good rifles BUT ! if you have never hunted during extreme cold-snowy -wet weather in the mountains ,Alaska or Minnesota you have no ideal what small problems can happen with a rifle that may be a big problem when you need the rifle to work properly. do i trash Remington rifles no but i will never trust a Remington 700 in cold weather ever again. most people have no ideal about cold-wet weather hunting really is like, many rifle hunters on here wear a jacket when temp.is 70 ,at my home today it was 15 below at sunrise and that was just a average cold day ,here in Minnesota.

Because someone didn't know to clean/degrease a firing pin?
Just for you, Provincial Pete. Temp was colder than what you had this morn at sunrise in MN (which judging from your posts over the years is the most severe, and coldest weather on earth). smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by JamesJr

And call others who disagree on their veracity or names. Nothing wrong with your post had it been your initial one... 270 bounce iff an elk? link or hyperbole?

Well, ole Elmer Keith seemed to think they bounced off.

Of course it's just a hyperbole, surely you're more intelligent that that. No one is calling you a name, not unless you have a guilty conscience, or deserve to be called one. But I will stick to my point.......the majority of those people who have declared the Model 700 as not being as good as other rifles, have either never owned one, or else they're just full of chit.

Take your pick.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You didn't others have. Of course I knew it was hyperbole smile Well, at least I hope you respect my observations and are not made up bullshit. Aside from that, we can agree to disagree.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You didn't others have. Of course I knew it was hyperbole smile Well, at least I hope you respect my observations and are not made up bullshit. Aside from that, we can agree to disagree.

I have learned to agree to disagree a lot.....no problem.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

LOL I hope nobody takes this $hit seriously

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quak-
See my long-standing signature line below. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Damn, it was -30F on this morning....must have been lucky.

They make this stuff called lighter fluid....apply, and rinse to bolt body, firing pin spring, trigger sear, and bolt shroud, prior to hunting/shooting in sub-zero temps.

It just might work in Minnesota too.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful Pat....Pete53 may misconstrue this information and light his Remington on Fire 🔥 thinking you meant you need to set your action ablaze in cold temps...😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s always funny to read the 700 bashing threads.

Everyone repeats the same flaws but when pinned down, they have not had the problems personally.

I guess some guys have all the bad luck. Like the guy from Orygun that’s had extraction issues with every 700 he’s touched and every Leupold he’s touched failed also.

Dropped off a rifle about a month ago to have the bolt welded and pinned because it came apart.

It was a model 70 Classic. He said it’s definitely not the first one he’s seen.

Guess now I should jump in every model 70 thread and bash 70’s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm down to two of each, which is a small sample. The real differences are subtle. One is a BDL from 1969 that when I throw it up everything is perfect. The other three almost but not as much. Both of the 70's are smoother to chamber a second round after firing, but only slightly so. The triggers on the 70's are better, but only slightly so. The most accurate of the four, but only slightly so, is also the cheapest, a Tupperware Wal-mart special 70 in .30-'06. Much of this thread is over blown on all sides.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
do as you want with what rifle you want to use,but i like my Remingtons but not in real cold weather unless i have a warm truck to sit in as a few do.
>>>i like the elk picture no gloves , ball hat and just a dry sweatshirt and 30 below ? really ? B.S. or was it another sneak up local Montana truck hunt with a rifle ,pat on the back and a picture ?

you guys are funny but desperate for attention and probably have little man syndrome too

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

>>>i like the elk picture no gloves , ball hat and just a dry sweatshirt and 30 below ? really ? B.S. or was it another sneak up local Montana truck hunt with a rifle ,pat on the back and a picture ?

You aren't fit to hold Pat's empties – it's laughable you'd call him a BS'er.

WWP53D
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.