jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Perhaps the others froze up in that “brutal” Minnesota climate. Like a Remington 700 does LOL

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by pete53

ALL B.S.

What's truly hard to fathom is that you beat 100,000 other sperm.

Just think how retarded those were !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by Quak
Remington all day every day.

Accuracy potential vs tradition imho

No knock on Winchester...but I despise 3 position safety’s and CRF rifles.

Both are good guns, both will likely need the bugs worked out, both will serve you well

But, but, you're gonna need that CRF in case you get charged by a wounded coyote or deer, that can be lethal!

The CRF is the least of your worries with a Rem abortion. I'd be worried about the gun going off when the safety's engaged, not to mention the POS won't even lock the bolt, the flimsy, sheet metal extractor breaking, the brazed on handle falling off....

And I suppose you've had all those things happen to you.....you know, first hand experience.

So are you calling me a liar? Or better yet a troll with nothing better to do?
I've never bought a Yugo, but I knew what POS they were. It's called research. On record here as having owned TWO (2) 700s,one went back to Remington for a over cut chamber for the locking lugs (35 Wheelen Classic), the other is a 22-1250 that I still have up in our place in PA and it serves ONE function, shooting ground hogs from our porch. The safety is never used and the rifle is loaded one round at a time. On the bolt handles, seen more than one at the range. extractor issues, never seen, but I sort of believe the likes of Don Heath and another 700 user who used to post here (AFP) who admitted to a few extractor failures due to debris getting caught behind the extractor. As to the bolt not locking, surely you can attest to that. Fire on Fail safety, there's probably been a dozen incidents posted here from fellow members with pretty good reputations, not to mention internet searches on myriad litigation on the subject. How's that or again are you questioning my veracity?

Actually the extractor issue AFP had was not the extractor at all. He had brass shavings from the ejector plunger hole hang up the plunger. Not uncommon for hotrodders with plunger ejectors of a number of flavors. I have done it myself with 700s. Recognizing the problem and correcting the behavior fixes the problem instantly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
i would rather buy a different brand rifle than a Remington 700 if you are going to be in extreme wet - cold weather and camping. reason Remington 700`s have a problem of freezing up in the bolt and firing pin gets froze ,rifle will not fire. it has happened to me and others in the mountains on pack hunts and in northern Minnesota callin coyotes at night. i also don`t like the way the bolt will just fall open on safety either when bumped when on a long pack hunt. but Remington does make a good accurate rifle and for a day hunt guy in warmer weather they work fine for that. for durability give me either a Winchester,Weatherby,Savage,Browning or a Ruger they do not freeze up as easy and these brands have a better safety system too.

Is this a joke? If you have a bolt "freezing up" its due to lack of maintenance or stupidity PERIOD. I don't care what the rifle in question is.

Absolutely correct, but closed trigger systems (like the new "improved" (not) Model 70 trigger) are more prone to freezing. But a 700's bolt can get opened accidentally if the bolt catches on brush, etc. Our own Pugs experienced this on his first moose hunt where he hunted with a borrowed 700.

I tested a bunch of different brands of rifles during a severe cold snap here a number of years ago. I had no problem at all locking up any of the actions with modest amounts of water. Actually, the pre-64 model 70 was the worst in almost all categories of freezing up.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Damn, it was -30F on this morning....must have been lucky.

They make this stuff called lighter fluid....apply, and rinse to bolt body, firing pin spring, trigger sear, and bolt shroud, prior to hunting/shooting in sub-zero temps.

It just might work in Minnesota too.....

I ain't near man enough to sport a ball cap at -30...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
f you like CRF as in a Mauser 98 the Model 70 s your date. However I will take issue about the Remington. I have one made in 2013 that's a fine shooter and a solid rifle. They've always had issues with triggers but in 2006 they went to the X Mark trigger which pretty much sucked. Then they figured out that the X Mark Pro could be as dangerous or more than the old Walker trigger which the whole 700 series had always come with. All X Mark Pros built before 2014, I think, were recalled. It seems they were assembled with a compound (which I assumed held them together until finished) that could cause them to hang up and go off, similar to what the Walker trigger could do if dirty. Anyway, the X Mark Pro isn't half bad if you know a good competent gun smith that can disassemble it and clean it up and put it back and adjust it. If you send it in it will come back clean but still heavy on weight of pull. My gun smith is excellent with triggers and he got mine down to about 4 pounds, not bad for a hunter. However, first chance i get I'm replacing it with a Timney. In fact, I have two more older 700s that have Walker triggers that my gun smith went through that I think I'm going to retrigger with Timney's. But other than the trigger they're all great rifles. But whatever, Remington 700 or Winchester 70, you won't go wrong with either.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/06/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The Remington 700 worked pretty well in this situation.

Mine is a .375 RUM,the PH's is a .416 Rem. He did not have to use his rifle for back up. smile
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Damn, it was -30F on this morning....must have been lucky.

They make this stuff called lighter fluid....apply, and rinse to bolt body, firing pin spring, trigger sear, and bolt shroud, prior to hunting/shooting in sub-zero temps.

It just might work in Minnesota too.....

I ain't near man enough to sport a ball cap at -30...

It can be done for a little while. Not long before your ears feel like they're going to come off though.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

It can be done for a little while. Not long before your ears feel like they're going to come off though.

After climbing 140-ish stories in a pretty short period of time, I'm guessing there was more than one layer peeled off in the process.
But it seems some folks (not directed at you, Tom) have trouble connecting those dots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by tzone

After climbing 140-ish stories in a pretty short period of time, I'm guessing there was more than one layer peeled off in the process.
But it seems some folks (not directed at you, Tom) have trouble connecting those dots.

A fire blazing, not far from the kill doesn't hurt either......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The Remington 700 worked pretty well in this situation.

Mine is a .375 RUM,the PH's is a .416 Rem. He did not have to use his rifle for back up. smile
[Linked Image]

Now that is bigger than a jackrabbit!

Congrats. smile

Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got a couple of Model 70's that are fine rifles. My Remington rifles have also done a fine job and have been along on some great hunts!

Washington elk:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Washington bear:
[Linked Image]

Wyoming mule deer:
[Linked Image]

Alaska, bear & wolf:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Honestly wasn't at all worried about rifle failure on any of my hunts. Rifle maintenance is just part of my life though. They need to be cleaned, checked, lubed, properly cared-for. Something to which I became accustomed in the Marines. I still take care of my firearms, and they seem to work pretty well.

Nothing at all against the Model 70, I've got a couple and I like them very much, but I seem to do most of my hunting with a pair of Rem 700's in 25-06 & 30-06.

Regards, Guy

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Those are some great pics...thanks for sharing!

That’s a beast of a Bear!

GOD Bless America
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Guy!

Much more exciting than hunting rabbits! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Guy!

Really? wink

I'd imagine so... Dang... And with a push feed Remington 700. Dang... wink You really do like living life on the edge.

Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Those are some great pics...thanks for sharing!

That’s a beast of a Bear!

Thanks. It was a good hunt.

Guy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Cascade
Thanks Guy!

Really? wink

I'd imagine so... Dang... And with a push feed Remington 700. Dang... wink You really do like living life on the edge.

Guy

Yup,I do. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.