Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimy
It is easy to swap out both the front and rear ends out , get them from a 2500 truck, as long as you are lifting it, put new brake,
And fuel lines on while you are under it.

I’ll keep that in mind for sure. Thanks.

I really just want the ability to run 35’s. I’ll have to look at what lift and wheel configuration will get me there.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I had a 1971. It was a blast on pavement and dirt.

[Linked Image]

That’s my favorite body style, but the square body is a close second. That’s a nice rig.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I had a 1971. It was a blast on pavement and dirt.

[Linked Image]

Love it!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Why are all the car companies turning their good SUV's into cars?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a '72 Blazer with a 350 V8 4 bbl. carb and 4 spd. transmission, it was a great truck. Last year of that body style, I don't like the later ones a buddy had a '73 and it was a POS. The car companies have turned their 4WD's into cars because so many are driven by "sidewalk 4wheelers" and soccer moms who require the cushy amenities.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Why are all the car companies turning their good SUV's into cars?

Because 4x4's cost more too make,
are harder too assemble,
weigh more, so.....
slower acceleration and,
less MPG.

And,

The dipshits that buy the vast majority of them "need" them, to drive on
the highway when there might be a little snow, thats plowed and salted/cindered.
They never realize that they are driving a reconfigured minivan,
That's not as good of a people/cargo mover as a minivan.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, but.... the minivan don't have that cool '4X4' sticker on the side.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The 4x4 has been replaced by 'AWD' and the frame drags the ground when you get into a bumpy parking lot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
My '70 K5 Blazer is the reason I've never bought another Chevrolet. Cold with that uninsulated fiberglass top, top heavy, over sprung, short coupled, rode like a lumber wagon, rusted badly and drank gas like it had a hole in the tank. Last straw was coming down a slippery hill backwards with the plow attached being that light in the back end.

Had a 72 and you described it perfectly. Couldn't hold a good downshift to the current 4Runner TRD Pro. As Sam says, "These are the good old days."

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 70, 71, and 89. Loved them. Wish I had room for another project. If I did I'd get a 73-75 model.

Originally Posted by battue
My '70 K5 Blazer is the reason I've never bought another Chevrolet. Cold with that uninsulated fiberglass top, top heavy, over sprung, short coupled, rode like a lumber wagon, rusted badly and drank gas like it had a hole in the tank. Last straw was coming down a slippery hill backwards with the plow attached being that light in the back end.

Had a 72 and you described it perfectly. Couldn't hold a good downshift to the current 4Runner TRD Pro. As Sam says, "These are the good old days."

The reason you get a K5 is the same reason you get an old muscle car. Nostalgia. Nothing made in the 60s-80s is as functional as you can get today, but sometimes it's about style.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be inclined to disagree about not being as functional.

With rock crawling being an exception, nobody that builds a hard core 4x4 builds
something that is like a 4-runner. And your examples are a special version.

The Blazers were all designed to be off road vehicles, it's why they weren't popular like today's
"suv's".

Now as for comfort, drivability, ride, modern convience, little routine maintance.........
modern is the cats are.

But for tough cast iron, heavy duty springs, strong solid front axle, hook a heavy trailer, or tree,
to it and pull it through the mud and do it daily?

I would choose a Blazer, Bronco, or Ramcharger.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rose colored glasses taint the view. I have acquaintances that use today’s trucks hard. They beat on them for 150,000 to 200,000. On the highway and construction jobs and for the most part they hold up.

The K5 was a sharp looking vehicle. It also was a tin can that would mame or kill you quickly in a serious accident. As would most of the others mentioned.

Friends had Bronco’s. Which was another tin can. They would crush your heart with the steering wheel in a head on, take off you head when it rolled and the engine had the capability to come into the front seat and take off your legs. The windshield folded up like the proverbial $2. Barlow, and you could almost hear them rust while you bounced down the road. Yet some think it is better than what is being made today?

Last edited by battue; 03/06/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Maybe it DID have a hole in the tank!!! LOL!! wink

Ken
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mom sure liked hers, until it rusted to nothing. That took about five years.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
From what the word on the street is, 1999 and back a few years are the sh~tts , big blocks, great styling and air bags. Lots of winners out there.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a '71 K5 sitting out back that hasn't run for several years. It has a good motor and transmission but needs rear ring and pinion. I'd like to get it running again but it needs quite a bit of rust repair and I'm struggling with the decision to throw a bunch of money at it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just don't see them much anymore. I had a 87 or 88 in highschool. Navy blue with navy blue top. Ran 33in tires on it easily.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Perfect inside and out with fresh paint and no rust when I bought it in '92 with original motor @ 180k miles. 27 years and two motors later, it's a little tired grin

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGray
Perfect inside and out with fresh paint and no rust when I bought it in '92 with original motor @ 180k miles. 27 years and two motors later, it's a little tired grin

[Linked Image]

For sale? Old man had one just like it growing up, love to have it back

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife would love to see it go away grin I promised her I'd sell it rather than restore it when I bought this '72 K10. That was eight years ago and I can't seem to part with it - I'm telling her now it will be a retirement project. I do have a guy here locally that's been trying to talk me out of it for several years.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.