Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
RH Clark's recent thread on stereos pushed this to the front for me. While I'm not audiophile, I would like to match a pair of speakers to a 1978 Marantz 2265B. I'm the original owner and that was a decent receiver back in its day and probably still is. A great match would address both style and capability. I really have no idea on speakers would likely fall prey to the zit faced kid at Best Buy. Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

Marantz 2265B - Specifications
• Years: 1977-1980
• Produced (Estimate): unknown
• Retail Price: $580
• Channels: 2
• Power Output Continuous Rated (per channel, both channels operating simultaneously): 65 Watts at 8Ω;
• Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power: 0.05% max. (distortion decreases as output is lowered)
• Power Requirements: 120 V AC 50 to 60 Hz
• Power Consumption At rated output, both channel operating : 280 Watts
• Idling Power (volume control at Zero) : 50 Watts
• Dimensions: 17-5/16 x 5-3/8 x 14-1/2 inches
• Weight: 31.9 lbs

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JOG
RH Clark's recent thread on stereos pushed this to the front for me. While I'm not audiophile, I would like to match a pair of speakers to a 1978 Marantz 2265B. I'm the original owner and that was a decent receiver back in its day and probably still is. A great match would address both style and capability. I really have no idea on speakers would likely fall prey to the zit faced kid at Best Buy. Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

Marantz 2265B - Specifications
• Years: 1977-1980
• Produced (Estimate): unknown
• Retail Price: $580
• Channels: 2
Power Output Continuous Rated (per channel, both channels operating simultaneously): 65 Watts at 8Ω;
• Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power: 0.05% max. (distortion decreases as output is lowered)
• Power Requirements: 120 V AC 50 to 60 Hz
• Power Consumption At rated output, both channel operating : 280 Watts
• Idling Power (volume control at Zero) : 50 Watts
• Dimensions: 17-5/16 x 5-3/8 x 14-1/2 inches
• Weight: 31.9 lbs

Nothing said about lower impedances? Receivers like this don't typically have much available current output. Find a speaker rated at 8 ohms, and if possible make sure it's impedance doesn't take any big dips or get into heavy reactive phase angles at different frequencies. No Apogee Scintillas from the 80's for example. (That reference is for the older audiophiles here. grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That amp would drive a pair of K-Horns really well if you have the room. If space is a problem the Klipsch LaScallas would work very well too. Both are a folded horn design that takes very little power to drive. Downside is price. 8000 per pair for LaScalla and 10-12000 for the KHorn although used older models are seen on fleabay for about 2/3- 1/2 the price.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers?

Find a pair of Marantz speakers that were originally sold alongside such a nice amp?

Good luck, wish I was in your shoes.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pioneer HPM 100's 12" four way is what I use with a Marantz 2245, all 70's equipment.
Altec's Voice of the Theater are superior IIRC

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a Marantz 2270 that I am pushing Polk ATi 7's . They sound pretty good. Very clean and great bottom. Your gonna need luck in finding vintage speakers that don't need work.

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Roystu
Your gonna need luck in finding vintage speakers that don't need work.

Modern speakers it will be, I just hope to stay away from some of the plastic-ish batwing looking stuff that seems popular nowadays. I picked up a new network switch a few months ago and it looks like an edged weapon. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want speakers that are period to your receiver,you could look for Pioneers CS-99A's.

There are cheaper period speakers that provided good sound as well,such as Advents.

More modern speakers that will provide good sound can be found at https://www.polkaudio.com/

This is a website that could provide many more suggestions for speakers to match your Marantz.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

Good luck.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pioneer Bose wall bangers

Last edited by Raeford; 03/07/19. Reason: Old age

FJB & FJT
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Go to any big Library and you will find Issues of " The Absolute Sound " or "Stereophile " Magazines . Look at the Summaries they have several times a year . Establish a Budget and read the comments sections for your cost level . If you have really deep pockets , you can pick up a really nice Magico Ultimate or Wilson Wamm Master Chronosonic for around $600K . But seriously , look at some of the Elacs $250-$600 or the shockingly good Magnepans for $650-$1400 as well as Golden Ear , KEF , and many others . Find a Shop that sells what you want and take a Record or CD or whatever new Source you have heard before ( and that you liked ) with you . Listen to that Source with the Speakers you have narrowed down to . Ask questions about the Power Requirements for that Speaker with reference to your Marantz . Pick the Speakers YOUR ears like best . I think you will be surprised at the differences you will hear , especially if you are used to listening to live Music and have good hearing . If you find your Marantz is just not cutting it once you have your new Speakers , have it gone thru by a good HiFi Shop or do the same search for new Electronics . Should be fun !

Last edited by usull; 03/07/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good advice from usull.

Another bit of advise, try to listen to speakers in about the same environment as you have at home. In other words if you are going to be listening in a small space say listen to speakers in a small space. If you have a large room say 15X20 then try to listen to speakers in that kind of environment. The volume (amount of space) in your room and the distance to reflecting walls from where your speakers will be placed has a big impact on the sound. Check high end sound shops for deals on trade ins, my son worked for a local such sound shop for a couple of years and you would be surprised at the older speakers available at reasonable prices. Think of audio equipment like new cars, you lose a substantial chunk of money the minute they leave the shop, but can be had a bargain used.

PS
By the way if can swing the WAMM (Wilson audio modular monitor) IIRC they need at least a twenty foot wall to setup for $600k one of their engineers comes out and custom tunes the system to the acoustics of your room. Good luck.

PSS
Another tidbit - try to listen to speakers as isolated as possible, e.g. 2 or 3 sets in room. Listening to speakers in a large room with a dozen or more sets affects the sound of all of the speakers. Think of them as sponges soaking up sound of the individual speaker you are listening to.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Roystu
Your gonna need luck in finding vintage speakers that don't need work.

Modern speakers it will be, I just hope to stay away from some of the plastic-ish batwing looking stuff that seems popular nowadays. I picked up a new network switch a few months ago and it looks like an edged weapon. wink

JOG,

If you are going to consider new speakers, take a hard look at these below; not knowing your budget, I've shown some that are less the $2K/pair,................I am a huge B&W fan as I love the warmth, natural sound & really tight bass that is the hallmark of that brand, but I also like Klipsch a lot too but they are somewhat brighter but also with tight bass as well.

Do not buy anything with less than 6 1/2" woofers as the bass will just not be there, IMO.

If you change your mind on vintage speakers, let me know as I have a good website for that stuff. My B&W's are 330DM & if you could find a good pair of those, they would be worth buying.

MM

B&W 600's

Klipsch Ref Cherry

Klipsch Ref 2 Black

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MM, you mean I don't need to spend $600K?

I shouldn't make a rule about not buying vintage - I just don't want a project. I also don't want to short the capabilities of the Marantz, but I don't want to put a Swarovski on a Nylon 66, if you catch my drift.

I see a pair of used DM330's on eBay for $400-ish, new Klipsch pairs for $600. How much is being left on the table going that route with the Marantz? Treat me like a 6-year old.

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JOG
I would like to match a pair of speakers to a 1978 Marantz 2265B. I'm the original owner and that was a decent receiver back in its day and probably still is. A great match would address both style and capability. I really have no idea on speakers would likely fall prey to the zit faced kid at Best Buy. Any ideas?

Put a pair of these on it, they'll do it justice.

Link.

[Linked Image]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something simple maybe. A 2 way, a decent tweeter and an 8 inch woofer in an acoustic suspension (sealed box) enclosure. This could be just small enough to use as a bookshelf speaker, that way they won't make your room smaller. Listen before you buy if possible, I would go for warm and natural rather than in your face bright and detailed,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
MM, you mean I don't need to spend $600K?

I shouldn't make a rule about not buying vintage - I just don't want a project. I also don't want to short the capabilities of the Marantz, but I don't want to put a Swarovski on a Nylon 66, if you catch my drift.

I see a pair of used DM330's on eBay for $400-ish, new Klipsch pairs for $600. How much is being left on the table going that route with the Marantz? Treat me like a 6-year old.

IMO, & w/o knowing how good your ears really are or your music preferences, you are leaving nothing on the table with the DM330's..............mine are powered by a Nakamichi system & your Marantz is maybe a few steps behind that.

Don't know which Klipsch's you're seeing, but likely they would be fine too.

Here's a link to a goos site for vintage stuff.................they have 2-3 Paradigms speakers sets on there which were very good & similar to B&W's.

Good luck & let me know where this ends up.

MM

Vintage Equip.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Will be hooking up a pair of JBL L26's to a Marantz 2235 in my workshop for vinyl play while piddling around; original owner.

JOG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Opinions on Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M? About $550/pair. The set-up will go into my shop/office - about 20' x 20'.

1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
6-1/2" Cerametallic™ cone woofer with rigid and lightweight voice coil
frequency response: 45-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
power handling: up to 100 watts RMS (400 watts peak)
sensitivity: 96 dB
impedance: 8 ohms compatible
bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port
magnetically attached grilles for a clean, streamlined look
walnut vinyl finish with scratch-resistant design
5-way binding post speaker terminals - two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
8"W x 15-3/4"H x 11-7/8"D
weight: 16 lbs. each
warranty: 5 years

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't have any experience with them but I'm sure they will sound great. Klipsch has always put out good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Opinions on Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M? About $550/pair. The set-up will go into my shop/office - about 20' x 20'.

1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
6-1/2" Cerametallic™ cone woofer with rigid and lightweight voice coil
frequency response: 45-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
power handling: up to 100 watts RMS (400 watts peak)
sensitivity: 96 dB
impedance: 8 ohms compatible
bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port
magnetically attached grilles for a clean, streamlined look
walnut vinyl finish with scratch-resistant design
5-way binding post speaker terminals - two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
8"W x 15-3/4"H x 11-7/8"D
weight: 16 lbs. each
warranty: 5 years

[Linked Image]

They will be a little shy on both bass & the high-end, but will probably suffice if you are just listening to them for background music.

They will not be anywhere near as good as the others we've been discussing here................but, truthfully, I never heard a "bad" Klipsch.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 66 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.