Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
This topic brings back fond memories of the 70s and 80s. I joined the US Army Security Agency in Nov 72 and got out in Feb 79. Spent four tours in Asia and had access to great military discounts on camera and stereo gear. I bought both but soon sold my 35mm Minolta camera and lenses because it was more camera than I needed. Stereo, on the other hand, I bought, sold, and upgraded every year until I had my dream system. I started off with Pioneer receivers, cheap speakers, etc. Moved on to Marantz receivers and JBL L100 Century speakers. Ended up with Pioneer Spec 1, Spec 2, power and pre-amp, Pioneer TX-9500 tuner, Dual 701 turntable, Teac C-1 cassette deck, misc goodies, and my pride and joy were the massive JBL L300 Summit speakers. They listed for $1920/pr when I bought them in 1977 and were up to $3000/pr when discontinued in 1982. I enjoyed them for almost 30 years and sold them for enough to buy my first Schmidt & Bender PMII rifle scope in 2006. Been shooting for over 30 years now and can no longer hear well enough to appreciate them. Now have an Onkyo receiver and Bose 901s that seldom get turned on.

Agree with "Dark Side of the Moon."

Enjoy your new sound.

Last edited by critter_bill; 03/07/19.

NRA Life VHA Life
US Army Security Agency (72-77)
US Army INSCOM (77-79)
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yamaha A-S2100
Yamaha CD-S2100
Klipsch Cornwall III

Sounds pretty damn awesome..

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What would you guys use for an outdoor system? Assuming that the Amplifier is indoors of course.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by K22
What would you guys use for an outdoor system? Assuming that the Amplifier is indoors of course.

We've got two Bose[can't remember the model] mounted under the back porch roof, they aren't weather/humidity rated but have been there for 15+ years and still sound great.

FJB & FJT
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Good to know Raeford.
I've had 4 JBL Northridge mounted in the Tree's with no protection for the last 12yrs. and they sound great. Recently one of them started sounding bad and that is when I discovered JBL no longer made them. If I was good with electronics I could probably fix it.
I've looking at the Definitive Technology AW 6500 speakers but don't know a lot about them.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I just got really blessed and set up with new audio equipment by a good friend. I got a pair of Meadowlark Heron speakers and B&K amp and preamp, a huge custom powersupply,and a custom computer built just for sound,and a CD player. There's several hundred dollars just in cables.

My buddy really wanted me to have it and traded it all for a Glock 19.

The first thing to listen to with any new system should be Beethoven's 6th. Then, maybe CCR's "I Put A Spell On You". Or, try the sountrack from "The Commitments", any of it, but "Mustang Sally" or "I Can't Stand the Rain". Sounds like a very nice system. I have several systems scattered around the house, from the 70's to the present. I'll list them later this evening.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Paddler

The first thing to listen to with any new system should be Beethoven's 6th. Then, maybe CCR's "I Put A Spell On You". Or, try the sountrack from "The Commitments", any of it, but "Mustang Sally" or "I Can't Stand the Rain". Sounds like a very nice system. I have several systems scattered around the house, from the 70's to the present. I'll list them later this evening.

Quivering in anticipation here.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first thing to listen to with any new system should be Beethoven's 6th.- - - - -.

Of all the great music available, and even just all of the great Beethoven, what is the reasoning and logic for such a brash statement about Beethoven's 6th being "the first thing to listen to" ?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would trust the paddlers opinion regarding audio systems, He's got some awesome top of the line B & W Speakers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toccata And Fugue in D Minor turned up to 11?
Bach - gotta quit posting in my sleep

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Raeford

Quivering in anticipation here.

Okay, I'll humor you. My first real system was a Phillips GA212 table, a Pioneer SX-939 (90 watts, pretty big stuff in the mid 70's) and a pair of Larger Advents. Advent was the company started by Henry Kloss and others when he left KLH. He was the K. Still have the speakers in the my playroom downstairs, now powered by a cheap Sony stereo only receiver and a single disc CD player. My next speakers were the Boston Acoustics T1000's, which now reside in the master bedroom. In the family room is a pair of B&W 801 Series 3's, powered by an old Adcom GFA 555 Mk II, with a 565 Mk II preamp. We bought the 801's in 1994 after auditioning them in a high end shop here in SLC which closed many years ago. My wife and I were blown away the first time we listened to them, simultaneously turning to each other with our eyes wide after listening to the first movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony. Neither of us had ever heard anything close. At the time they were B&W's top of the line and the speakers used at Abbey Road studios to master recordings. Truly reference loudspeakers. MSRP was $5500, way beyond our budget at the time. A little while later, the shop called to offer us a deal on a demo pair in bookmatched walnut veneer. We jumped at the deal, and my wife still prefers them to the far more expensive B&W 800D2's in the home theater. If you can find a pair on Audiogon or anywhere else, buy them. Downstairs is the home theater, the audio side of which is an Oppo BDP 103 which feeds an Outlaw prepro. The TT is a ProJect Perspective, Sumiko Oyster cartridge. The front speakers are B&W 800D2's, powered by a Bryston 4B SST2, the rears are M&K powered by an Adcom GFA-545. M&K sub, too. We have bookshelf systems in the library and my wife's hobby room, not really worth mentioning. So, six systems spanning about 45 years, but no Bose. Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.;)

Beethoven's 6th is one of the all-time most loved pieces of music. Its recommendation requires no apology. One of my recordings of it is Askenazy conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra. It was recorded in 1982 when CDs were new, but it has more background noise than I'd like.

Last edited by Paddler; 03/09/19.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have speakers left after toccata and fugue turned way up you've got speakers! The great range of notes with harmonics will wring out any system.

And it's a great piece of music.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back in the late 70's early 80's was really into it, as much as I could afford. I had and still have a Harmin Kardon 670 dual amp receiver and ADS 810II speakers. Back then I used a Garard turntable with a cartridge which I don't recall what brand that cost as much a the turntable. I had a range expander as well. Then the CD's got popular and I bought a Denon didsc player, and while it played and sounded fine, the mechanism of moving the CD in ad out broke and it went into the trash.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by nighthawk
If you have speakers left after toccata and fugue turned way up you've got speakers! The great range of notes with harmonics will wring out any system.

And it's a great piece of music.

I can achieve very high SPL's in my HT. As in you can't stay in the room without serious risk of hearing loss. The Bryston has impressive specs and its power output is conservatively rated at 300WPC. The actual test sheet on my particular unit shows clipping at 330WPC. The speakers will handle 1000W. I was using the Stereophile Test CD to measure frequency response one day, with headphones on, of course. Turns out one shouldn't try to push 300 watts through the diamond tweeters. I heard a terrible noise all of a sudden, then silence. Fried both of them. Luckily, it was covered under warranty, as I think the tweeters are about $900 each. Most people, after hearing music they're familiar with on my system, say that they hear things they've never heard before, never heard it sound as clear, clean or detailed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run Kef uniQs in my listening room. My living room has an Atmos system with revel in wall and in ceiling speakers. My theater downstairs is RBH. Not supper high end but all good quality bang for the buck stuff. When I was younger I was very into car audio.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm seeing lots of names here which I do not recall from the 70s when I was most interested in audio. Could be dangerous looking this stuff up. crazy

Someone mentioned a Dual 701 turntable. I do not recall that model, but I had a Dual CS-626 that was a real gem. It came out with an ultra low mass tonearm with a ULM cartridge...I'm thinking it was an Ortofon cartridge, but I am not sure. I really loved that turntable.

I got sucked into the dbx II tape noise reduction system craze back then. They worked, but certain recordings---such as those with just bass playing for a few moments, revealed the weakness of the system. You had to use the best cassettes (I wasn't into Reel-to-Reel) to get good performance when recording certain music.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Dual 701 on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/153380327907?chn=ps

Dang it, I wish I had kept mine.

Last edited by critter_bill; 03/09/19.

NRA Life VHA Life
US Army Security Agency (72-77)
US Army INSCOM (77-79)
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm seeing lots of names here which I do not recall from the 70s when I was most interested in audio. Could be dangerous looking this stuff up. crazy

Someone mentioned a Dual 701 turntable. I do not recall that model, but I had a Dual CS-626 that was a real gem. It came out with an ultra low mass tonearm with a ULM cartridge...I'm thinking it was an Ortofon cartridge, but I am not sure. I really loved that turntable.

I got sucked into the dbx II tape noise reduction system craze back then. They worked, but certain recordings---such as those with just bass playing for a few moments, revealed the weakness of the system. You had to use the best cassettes (I wasn't into Reel-to-Reel) to get good performance when recording certain music.

Yes, but letting the DBX 128 expand "In The Air Tonight" or Elton John's Live in Australia "Candle In The Wind" is quite an experience. My turntable wasn't super great, but I did enjoy it. A Fisher MT-6225A with first an Empire 2000 Cartridge and then a Technics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
The first thing to listen to with any new system should be Beethoven's 6th.- - - - -.

Of all the great music available, and even just all of the great Beethoven, what is the reasoning and logic for such a brash statement about Beethoven's 6th being "the first thing to listen to" ?

Paddler.........Reason........Logic.........Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Yes, but letting the DBX 128 expand "In The Air Tonight" or Elton John's Live in Australia "Candle In The Wind" is quite an experience. My turntable wasn't super great, but I did enjoy it. A Fisher MT-6225A with first an Empire 2000 Cartridge and then a Technics.

The dbx II was not just a dynamic range expander. It was a tape noise reduction system. It would compress the crap out of the dynamic range of the audio before putting it on the tape so that it could record at very high levels---waaaay above the tape hiss levels. On playback the system would expand the dynamic range upon reading the tape. The result was that during the quieter passages, tape hiss could not be heard. The problem with the system was that when playing back a track that opened with bass notes, such as "The Raven" on Alan Parsons' Tales of Mystery and Imagination," the bass notes would expose the tape hiss. It sounded almost like a bass amp causing a snare drum to vibrate. Quite annoying.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.