Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Crazy wabbits. What'll they think of next?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...mpaign=/digest/house-dems-voting-age-16/

House Dems Point to Parkland Activists to Justify Lowering Voting Age to 16

by JORDAN MICHAELS on MARCH 6, 2019

Related Tags: Buzz, Gun Control, News

Listen to the children!

That was the message from House Democrats at a House Rules Committee hearing this week during testimony about a bill that would affect everything from voting rights to election security to campaign finance. The current iteration of the bill (H.R. 1) doesn’t lower the voting age, but two representatives proposed an amendment that would allow 16 and 17-year-olds to vote.

Their justification? Parkland.

Reps. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) and Grace Meng (D-N.Y.) both argued that like Vietnam War protestors and civil rights activists, Parkland students have proven that high schoolers are responsible and patriotic enough to vote in federal elections.

“I am here tonight…because across this nation, young people are leading the way, which has been the case for every social movement throughout our history,” Rep. Pressley told the Rules Committee:

“They are organizing and mobilizing and calling us to action, making plain the high stakes the next generation faces — from gun violence, to climate change, to the future of work, to the solvency of Social Security.”

SEE ALSO: Hogg Explains Why He Was Ready for Media Interviews Following Parkland
Pressley referred specifically to one of her young constituents who “has been at the forefront of the March for Our Lives Movement to stem the tide of gun violence.”

“It is young people…who march, organize, and remind us daily in the halls of this institution what’s at stake and just how high those stakes are,” Pressley said.

Rep. Meng, a cosponsor of Pressley’s amendment, also referenced student gun-ban activists as justification for the 16-year-old vote:

“It is only right and fair to allow 16- and 17-year-olds a voice in our democracy,” Meng said.

SEE ALSO: Feinstein to Introduce Bill to Set Minimum Age – 21 – for All Firearm Purchases
“Throughout our nation’s history, from the Vietnam War-era movements that sparked the 26th Amendment, to the Parkland students who reignited the gun violence prevention movement, the power of youth activism has profoundly impacted social and political movements in the United States, and it’s time their votes count, too,” Meng continued.

While Reps. Pressley and Meng are no doubt motivated by a sense of justice pure as the driven snow, their amendment would almost certainly help Democrats get elected in races across the country. According to the Pew Research Center, young people in Generation Z (born after 1997) hold liberal views on everything from race to climate change to the role of government.

And, if the post-Parkland walkouts are any indication, “gun control” could likely be added to that list.

Oh, and it should be noted that the same party that wants to lower the voting age wants to raise the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21.

Listen to the children! And deny adults 18-20 the right to keep and bear arms!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People who are 21 do not know about voting. Kids certainly do not. Democrats running out of dead voters and they need more.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
They're in a frickin race to see who can spew the most stupid in the shortest amount of time.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a great deal of wisdom in the old adage that "children should be seen, not heard." And perhaps we could extend it to include the "childish".

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'd support raising the voting age to 65.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD

GFY. I'm only 55, and I'll damn well have my vote counted. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'd support returning it to the original format. Landowners being the only ones allowed to vote, whatever age they may be.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

NO!
hell no

Just seeing how many dumb fugg old people fall for telemarketing scams leads me to believe half of them already are doing stupid shît in the voting booth.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
it was land owners back when land was a mark of productivity, I say Active duty military, retired military, folks who work the equivalent of full time ($15,080 of income on last tax return) or anyone who has earned a SS retirement benefit (40 quarters of work history).

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe the dems are worried the wall will be effective so need other voters. Dems felt 26 was the age for not needing parents under Obamacare so now they have reversed that.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

I'd support returning it to the original format. Landowners being the only ones allowed to vote, whatever age they may be.

Going to disagree , I don't own land right now but I'm looking for some to buy .
Anybody who works and pays taxes is good enough for me - NO welfare bums get a say in voting , this alone would fold the democrat party .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you pay or have paid taxes for 15 or more years.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
People who are 21 do not know about voting. Kids certainly do not. Democrats running out of voters and they need more.

that's all this is about !

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 03/08/19.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
People who are 21 do not know about voting. Kids certainly do not. Democrats running out of voters and they need more.

They're not running out of voters, they get more and more every day. What it is is them trying to stack the odds to the point that no Republican will ever win another election in this country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People who are 21 do not know about voting..

Most people over 21 don't either

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

They're not running out of voters, they get more and more every day. What it is is them trying to stack the odds to the point that no Republican will ever win another election in this country.

The house just passed a bill to give illegals, voting rights.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Isn't this the same young people who believe they don't reach adulthood until age 30?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Second that emotion.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/millennials-adult-age-mature-30/1835740

"...........A new study has essentially confirmed my suspicions, as the research concluded many millennials don't consider themselves to be adults until they're at least 30 years old, and others don't believe they're fully mature until they hit 40...………"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If you pay or have paid taxes for 15 or more years.

P

IN A ROW!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,707
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.