Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hey guys,

New deer hunter here, all my previous hunting experience is upland game. I put in for a tag for 3rd rifle, GMU 18 here in Colorado. I am wondering where it is worthwhile to scout this year, especially as the season approaches. I am also an avid backpacker so I can get familiar with the terrain, topography, etc all summer long if I want. I am mostly curious where mule deer tend to be in 3rd rifle. Is it good to glass up high in south-facing slopes in the early AM and evenings, or have they moved down to lower elevations by that time? Right now I've been pre-scouting on Google Earth with tips I've got from this board and others in areas like the Troublesome Basin, South Corral Peak, and some others away from roads and easy access points. Wondering if its time better spent to look at the BLM land to the north of Hot Sulfur Springs than it is in the higher elevation stuff? Just trying to understand where to start and how to understand deer psychology during 3rd rifle.

Thank you!
Luke

Tikka T3x Forest - 7mm Mag
Traditions ALS2100 - 12ga
GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m not familiar with gmu 18, but generally 3rd Rifle season is a transitional time between summer range and the rut. Depends on the weather where exactly the deer will be during the season. Scout and learn the terrain. Too many boots on the ground will tend to run mature bucks out of the area. Hunting pressure during 1st and 2nd season by deer and elk hunters may affect deer movements. Good luck.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
18 can be tough, and if this snow don't quit it'll get tougher. I've killed a few in there with muzzleloader and rifle. Usually pic up a list B leftover for that unit. Lotta beetle kill, I'd hit the stairmaster all summer so you can high step all that downed timber. I'd keep that in mind when selecting a camping spot as well. Wish I had better news for you.

Last edited by DW7; 03/10/19.
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the replies guys! Im not super afraid of tough, in some ways I like it more because it can keep people from penetrating too deep into the woods. I backpack all the time in the summer throughout the Rockies so I think I am in pretty good shape, although I'll grant that off trail in beetle kill country is a hell of a lot different than a trail. Nevertheless, in your leftover hunts, do you tend to find them up high still? Or are they already heading down to their winter range?

Also for my own education, does the snowfall this winter correlate to mortality rates amongst yearlings? What effect does winter snowfall have on next falls hunting?

Last edited by linkin22luke; 03/11/19.

Tikka T3x Forest - 7mm Mag
Traditions ALS2100 - 12ga
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Killed a doe with my muzzleloader last fall literally on the continental divide. Killed several bucks 2nd rifle they were midway. As WAM said, 2nd 3rd and 4th rifle they will be scattered from mid range to private low country down on the troublesome, depending on pressure and snow, and there will be pressure. Were getting hammered with snow right now and there will be some losses. How much depends on what happens over the next month. If yer able, and since you've stated yer new to the game, try and grab a list B leftover doe tag to go with yer buck tag for the season you plan to hunt. Up your chances of drawin a little blood and dippin yer toe in it. Good luck!

Last edited by DW7; 03/11/19.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 4,318 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,674
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.