Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did anyone hunt with these guys during the 2006 season? I'm going on a combo deer - elk hunt with them in October. Sounds like a great outfit. How did you do?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was supposed to go on a hunt with them this year but 2 of the guys in my party backed out on me so I will not be going. From what I read about them they seem to be a great outfit. Another poster here went with them and they saw no elk, however if I remember right the owner told them to come back at no charge and hunt at a later date. Do not remember if they went back or not, but that tells me alot about them.........Blake

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I packed into their area 2 years ago and there weren't too many elk around - talked to a couple of guys that were hunting with one of the outfitters in the area and they were pretty disappointed. After the hunt, talked with some of the locals who were archery hunting near the trail head, they said the elk hunting isn't half of what it was before the wolves. The hunting was so bad we took off a couple days early - Not even a bugle while we were back in there.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Warren Johnson is a class act- Hunted with him on a cow hunt years ago, and have a friend who used to work for him.
Ranger's description of the elk hunting there matches what I have heard from many many other hunters in that area lately. ( I used to work at a local hotel and had several Non resident hunters that hunted that area )
Before I subjected myself to the thunderous sound of lots of dollar bills hitting the counter, I'd ask about hunter sucess in the laast three years.

Fred

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1 on Warren Johnson, a good elk hunter and outfitter. Whether you'll kill an elk or not, I couldn't say, but he's one of the best in south Paradise Valley, Mt.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My nephew brought home a bull. I think he said it was around a 340 class. But, the hide was not usable due to some kind of mange. His picture is the 1st one on row 2..

http://hellsaroarinoutfitters.com/hunting/pictures/elk2006_pictures_03.htm

BP...

8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys. I'm optimistic that 2007 is the year for my wallhanger (please, please, please...). Hope I'm in the right place at the right time.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
i want to clarify. When I said one may or may nor kill an elk, that was a comment on elk hunting in general, not on Warren. smile

8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No misunderstanding here; if I knew I'd get one every time, I'd be doing what Warren does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8ball-Warren is one of the best and I am sure he will do his darndest to get you into a bull.

One other thing to consider is that now that you have the tag you can also apply for a special tag. It won't give you a second tag but you could enter into one of the special late draws and if you did not kill with Warren you could then come back later to hunt.

If you want pm me you phone # and we can talk about your options

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mark
Having nothing to do with WJ, but regarding Jardine. Is it still the Outlaw's Roost? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe so, I don't get down there that often anymore.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mark, scheduling won't allow me a follow-up trip, much as I'd love to. I appreciate the info, and will definitely hook up with you if another opportunity to go that direction arises.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Those late hunts tend to be short and, if the weather is right, successful. You ought to look into it. Mark's given you a great tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8ball-toltegriz said it well, I am speaking about the late hunts and if you could find a way to make it back in Dec/Jan or Feb one of these might be worth putting in for.

Some of the hunts in the regular season if you could draw them would warrent a cancelization call to Warren and a hunt on your own. If you drew one of these tags you would be hunting for a serious bull and you can always go and hunt with WJ another year.

Mark D

8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cancellation is not an option because I'm being taken on this trip by a supplier. I would be interested in some info on the later hunt you mentioned for another year. Does Montana have a points system like other states? How many would it likely take to draw?

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Tough draw odds for those late migration type hunts. They do have bonus points in Montana. That being said in order to apply for special draw hunts you must first draw a general tag which can be tough if not outfitter sponosored. Good luck. Warren would be in my top choices for hunting elk in Montana.

8ball Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help guys.
Hopefully I'll have some good pictures to share next fall.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.