Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Quite a few history nerds on here, I know I'm one as well. Growing up working on cars in an auto salvage, I developed an interest in mechanical gizmos, and I'm also a dyed in the wool gun nut too!
Anyway, I thought some of you might get a kick outta this like I did.
Civil War Ironclads
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Hadn't seen some of those before. Monitor and Merrimack[Virginia], yeah, not some of the others. Neat stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading the book "The Monitor and the Merrimac" in grade school, I built my own "Monitor" using a steel garbage can as my turret, and a firecracker in pipe, as my canon. That book had quite the lasting influence on me as I ended up retiring from the Navy.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great history.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks!

Old guy, old guns.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The USS Essex, she had a 6' draft and mounted one 32 pounder, 3 Dahlgren 11" smoothbores, one 10" Dahlgren, and one 12 pound howitzer. I guess that 12 pounder would be handy with cannister for clearing enemy decks!
She fought in the Cumberland River, and later on in the Mississippi, where she helped heel the CSS Arkansas.
She survived the war, and was scrapped in 1870.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
USS St Louis, later USS De Kalb, she had a 6' draft mounted several different guns at different times, mostly big Dahlgrens or 32 or 42 pounders.
She supported U. S. Grant in his first battle at Belmont.
She struck a mine and sank in the Yazoo River in 1863.

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 03/08/19.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
USS Onondaga, twin turret River Monitor. She had a 12' draft and mounted 2 x 15" Dahlgrens and 2 x 150 pound Parrot Rifles.
She served in the James River Sqaudron and also took part attacking Ft Fisher in NC. After the war she was sold to France.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
USS St Louis, later USS De Kalb, she had a 6' draft mounted several different guns at different times, mostly big Dahlgrens or 32 or 42 pounders.
She supported U. S. Grant in his first battle at Belmont.
She struck a mine and sank in the Yazoo River in 1863.

Interesting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I had no idea how extensive the fleets of ironclads were. Thanks.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
USS Ft Hindman, actually a Tinclad. She drew 28' of water and mounted 4 x 8" guns and 4 x 8" smoothbores.
She patrolled the Mississippi and it's tributaries.
Decommissioned and sold after the war, she continued sailing the Mississippi until the mid 1870's.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I've always found the ironclads fascinating, was surprised by the size of the guns they mounted. Even if it doesn't penetrate, a shot from one of those must ring your bell pretty good, judging by the dents they leave.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
USS Mound City and USS Carondolet were both sisters of the Essex.
Known as Eads Gunboats or "Pook Turtles" on account of their shape.
There were 7 boats of this class using a catamaran style hull for shallow draft and sloped armor.
They were built by James Eads, actually for the Union Army!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s surprising to me that it drew 28’ of,water.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CSS Atlanta started the war as a blockade runner called Fingal. The Confederacy bought her and fitted her in out similar to the Merrimack (CSS Virginia).
She drew 12' of draft and mounted 4 Brookes Rifles (2 x 7" and 2 x 6.4") along with a spar torpedo.
She ran aground in the Wilmington River in 1863, and was captured.
The Yankees added her to the James River Squadron.
After the war she was sold to Haiti and was lost at sea in 1869.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last but not least was the USS Monitor and her class of sister ships.
I would imagine everybody is familiar with the story of Erickson's idea and submission to the Navy, and their poo hoo of it. and Lincoln's support.
They mounted many different guns, Monitor herself a pair of 11" Dahlgrens.
After she proved herself vs CSS Virginia, the Union purchased many more.
I can't imagine what a smoke choked, ungodly hot, and noisy hell they were to serve in battle.
Although not a particular part of this thread, the story of USS Keokuk, her sinking, and the salvage of her guns by the Rebels is one of the most interesting stories of the rebellion.

I just figured a little more background on each boat would be interesting and welcome here. Lord knows I learn an awful lot doing it.
7mm

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool pictures...

Except for the ones with d Yankees in em...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Cool pictures...

Holy cow!! Are you back here again? grin
Good to see you back, Charley!
I've found the best way to deal with this place now is to skim through it and only follow the threads that interest me.
Lord knows the politics and idiots ain't like it was, but I figure if I let them drive the good guys off, they win.
I hope you'nes are in the mood for Gettysburg once it warms up. Matter of fact Penny and I talked about going to Ft Lee's ordinance museum come summer.
7mm

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Cool pictures...

Ya... losers don't always like to partake in history. I understand.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 4,117 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,721
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.