Print Thread
Hop To
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looking for opinions from folks who own or have owned a savage weather warrior. Likes, dislikes, accuracy, etc. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one in .308, very accurate. The only reason I let it go is that I have 3 other .308s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one in 30-06 and really liked a lot about it other than it fed a bit on the rough side at times. My current Savage 260 (not a stainless gun) does the same but does the job. These days there are aftermarket magazines available if that ends up being an issue. I prefer not having the accutrigger but it works pretty good as long as you pull the trigger properly. You can pull on the trigger without depressing the center part and lock up the action. if you lift the bolt and cock it again it will fire. I found out the hard way that it could happen shooting at a deer. Still got it though.

Gerry.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
clunky action, milk jug stock, accurate, mine have functioned flawlessly (sample of 7), bore rough. accutrigger works fine for me. better than an xmark, untuned walker, CZ rimfire, or ruger “lc6” ... but worse than any decent trigger. personally think the salvage LWH is their best offering and only when its on sale for $450 or so. i did have a .300 mag police model in an HS precision stock that i wish i coulda spent more time with.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one before they called them Weather Warriors, so it's the 116 in .30-06. I have probably shot that rifle more than any other gun I won, but have yet to take an animal with it. I did replace the pre-accu trigger with a Rifle Basix one and do not regret it one it. I've been shooting Barnes TTSX ammo out of it lately, and I can get the 180 gr. and 168 gr. to hit within 1 inch of each other at 100 yards. Hopefully, I can break it's curse and get a caribou or moose with it this fall.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got one in 250. It has the hinged floorplate, not the DM. Stupid accurate. I hope we get drawn for antelope in WY, as I bought the rifle for my wife and would love to see her drop a goat with it. I have shot some hogs and coyotes with it.

I think it is a little heavier than it should be, but that probably keeps the recoil down for her.

No complaints.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had one in 243 Win that I bought on a whim. It was insanely accurate. But roughly put together. Got rid of it when a friend needed a gun for his daughter.
Very servicable for the $$$. I would get another if I had a need.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The Savage bolts I have are very accurate. They aren’t beautiful, but will sure as hell shoot.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In my opinion, the price on them has gotten too high. For not much more, you can buy a Tikka with a better trigger. I owned but never fired a weather warrior in 30-06. I traded into a Tikka in 300 win mag at the same time and knew the Savage wasn't going to get picked up much despite my preference for its chambering over the T3x's.

My most accurate rifle is a Savage. My long range rifle is a Savage. For a stainless hunting rifle in that price range, I'd buy a Tikka.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Took out a 25-06 Savage 116 weather warrior which I just got. I used the Sierra reloading manual and picked out a load for 100gr pro hunter and to my surprise it shot it sub M.O.A. right off the bat. With a little tweaking this could be a one hole rifle. I've had quite a few Savages and they all have been shooters.

Texas bred and born
IC B3

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks men. I just bought one in 30-06. Should get it next week. Gonna be my latest elk rifle.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought one when Savage offered it 250-3000 Savage. I love it. It’s a bit on the heavy side with the Accustock but really not a problem.
Super accurate with reloads. Sub-MOA out past 200 yards. No idea how good with factory ammo since re-load.
The Accu-trigger has never been a problem for me, so far, not even with gloves on. My only complaint is the tang safety. It is a bit on the low side and when you have gloves on, you really have to push downward hard to grip the safety. Otherwise your thumb moves but the glove on the safety doesn’t.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
I bought one when Savage offered it 250-3000 Savage. I love it. It’s a bit on the heavy side with the Accustock but really not a problem.
Super accurate with reloads. Sub-MOA out past 200 yards. No idea how good with factory ammo since re-load.
The Accu-trigger has never been a problem for me, so far, not even with gloves on. My only complaint is the tang safety. It is a bit on the low side and when you have gloves on, you really have to push downward hard to grip the safety. Otherwise your thumb moves but the glove on the safety doesn’t.

mine is in 250 sav too. has been a great rifle for me. kind of a pain putting it back together bc it has the earlier version of the accustock that has a little wedge that has to go back in just so

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog

mine is in 250 sav too. has been a great rifle for me. kind of a pain putting it back together bc it has the earlier version of the accustock that has a little wedge that has to go back in just so

n8dawg6,
I’ve been lucky so far and never had to take mine out of the stock.The bolt action Savages I have are all great rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.